1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

draftexpress.com report card grading on rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1JumpShot, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Member

And for the record, I think Draftexpress did the best grading of the draft by anyone so far. They caught the amazing feat performed by Morey where no one else did, and they mirrored my thoughts that Portland had the best draft of anyone. Where many people thought New Jersey and Phoenix did well, they agreed with me that they didn't.

The only evaluations I would disagree with slightly are those of Philly and Golden State. I think Philly made a fantastic pick in Speights, especially that late. He'll turn out to be another dark horse ROY like Thaddeus Young was. And I think Anthony Randolph will be a major bust. Plus, they already have his clone in Branden Wright. One of those two guys is gonna bust his ACL soon; they're years away from being strong enough for the NBA.

2. BetterThanEver

Draftexpess couldn't get our draft position right. We turned the Batum, the 25th pick into Darrel Arthur. They made it look as if the Rockets dropped 8 spots. The rockets only dropped down 2 spots and drafted the guy they wanted at 25.

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

I'm sure this was posted somewhere else but...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AAtyLv-Uer0&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AAtyLv-Uer0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

On a side note, it's sad that a college team has better jersey cuts than the Rockets. Yes, I hate the Rockets' uniforms.

4. white lightning

I'm not sure why people are so worried about Greene's shot selection. If he keeps chucking up ill advised 3s he'll find a seat on the bench. He shoud be able to figure out what he's going to have to do to stay on the floor.

5. cavevato

cavevato Member

Those are some ugly jerseys...they dont even look like jerseys, they look like a t-shirt w/ the sleeves cut off.

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

A similiar incident which turned out be nothing happened with Rudy Gay. Maybe they got burnt there a little back then? I'm not saying they wouldn't have traded him anyway, but might have valued him more...

7. binvegas

binvegas Member

So what you went to Syracuse. Did you play basketball? Has any NBA team seeked you scouting opinion? Donte will be fine, I trust Morey and what I saw over your opinion.

8. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

Those wide cuts are becoming more and more popular. The Hawks went with something similar to that before this season.

The Rockets jerseys are wide cut but the cut is all jacked up. They look ridiculous on smaller players and those that don't have wide shoulders.

9. carib

carib Member

Greene is young, don't expect alot until he has matured a little. For those that watched him at Syracuse thanks for the info. He will have to play differently when he scrimmages with the Rockets players. If he makes the cut he will require time to become a better player.
    We know he likes to jack up 3's what about his defense, is he average , above average or below average. Just curious cause if he exceeded expectations and were to get playing time it would be Battier minutes.

10. csux

csux Rookie

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...g/?eref=sircrc

So donte greene is like 4th best player on a not very good team? God, why didn't we get chalmers and dorsey, would have been perfect for us.

11. csux

csux Rookie

honestly, I think donte will be a bust, you know same with gerald green.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Greene sounds a bit like Eddie Griffin. I hope I'm wrong.

13. RocksMillenium

Wow, I'm shocked there is someone complaining about a Rockets move. :rolleyes:

14. RocksMillenium

I love how people say he was the 4th best player on Syracuse yet the guy had the best stats of ANYBODY on the team! I saw the guy, he was consistently good. Here are his stats:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=36582

And it's great that the people who "followed Syracuse" know that he wasn't that good, and Syracuse wasn't a good team. Anybody who followed Syracuse knows that that team was, outside of Pitt, the most injury ravaged team in the nation. Unlike Pitt, they didn't have veterans to carry them so they missed out on the NCAA Tournament. Greene is a damn good talent. He only played one year of college (even though he put up 17 points, 7 rebounds and a couple of assists per game), but he has great upside.

15. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

I have my doubts as well but I think he was worth the gamble here. I do agree wholeheartedly with your statement above because more often than not, it is the attempts of NBA teams trying to look beyond the here and now that leads to the picking of guys like Kwame Brown or Eddie Griffin.

16. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

From the videos and games I have seen of him, he has a very quick shooting stroke which will help in the NBA, but his shot selection leaves plenty to be desired. Still, he has the talent to be a pretty good player in this league, he has good upside, but has good potential for bust. I actually came away happier in this draft with the Rockets selections than I did last year. And we all saw that last year we ended up with some good players.

17. tmac

tmac Member

It's OK if he turns out to be a headcase--we took him 28th. You can compromise on potential, or you can compromise on intelligence-work ethic.