1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draft Grades

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Apr 30, 2016.

?

How do you grade the 2016 Texans draft?

1. A+

7.6%
  2. A

14.1%
  3. A-

19.6%
  4. B+

30.4%
  5. B

16.8%
  6. B-

5.4%
  7. C+

3.3%
  8. C

0.5%
  9. C-

0.5%
  10. D

1.6%
  1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

thank god for functional speed. So much better than the actual speed that Fuller has.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Have you watched Tyler Ervin film? If he is limited to returns that is a waste. Guy is an explosive runner and has no problem attacking between the tackles. I don't think he could hold up full time as a runner, but he definitely needs the ball in his hands on offense.

3. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

On the surface there seems to be some redundancy. But I would guess Miller will be groomed to be the slot and Ervin will be a McCluster type player who can do a little bit of everything.

Between Fuller/ Miller/ Ervin one will probably be a bust and one a "just another guy." So I'm sure it will all work itself out.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

A-. Definitely one of the flashier drafts. Got a ton of speed and weapons for Brock which seemed to be the main objective. No such thing as the perfect draft but would have liked to see a TE, MLB, or OT at some point.

Fuller - Will have to employ the wait and see approach. Obviously a huge weapon on the outside but drops will be a concern. You could see Brian Kelly's frustration with it time to time, should be fun to see BoB.

Martin - Great pick. Plug and play C with a meanstreak.

Miller - Big time potential that will allow BoB to play around with a few things.

Ervin - Seems to be the most unpopular pick and I don't disagree. Not sure about a backup RB that early or the RBs we passed up on for him.

Dillon - Texans love their box safeties but thought we could have used a S with better range.

Reader - A little frustrating watching quality defensive lineman coming off the board round after round but like this Reader pick. If we can get a consistent pass rush off the edge, love a block eater like we have had with Pickett and Wilfork.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Irvin was my least favorite pick but I hope he proves me wrong; fuller too. There was better talent on the board with both picks

6. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

B-

I understand they wanted a burner opposite Nuk and Fuller is just that, but I think Treadwell was the best WR in the draft. Ervin was a complete waste of a pick IMO and while I like Braxton Miller as a player, the team had bigger needs to fill in the third round than WR3.

I liked the Martin pick and the defensive depth picks in Dillon and Reeder, but they got little value in trading up a few picks to completely exit the latter rounds. I understand how futile it is to grade a draft this early, but I think the Texans could have stuck with a similar game plan, but done a whole lot better.

7. BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog Contributing Member

Treadwell was no better than the 5th best receiver in the draft PLUS he did not fit with what this team needed. Neither did Doctson, Sterling or Boyd.

8. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

B+ for sure as far as the draft. Offense will have a chance to shine this year. If any of these Undrafted pick ups pan out id say it's a solid A overall

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe you had him no better than the 5th WR in the draft, but some had him as the #1 WR in the draft, a type of player that ALWAYS fits what any team needs. Maybe he won't be that guy, maybe Doctson won't be either....but if either are the kind of WR that some think, they'll look at passing on them as a mistake even if all the Texans cared about was speed.

10. whag00

Fuller may not put up the numbers that those will put up. But if he can get 50 receptions for 800 yards and provide that Torrey Smith like deep threat they will be happy.

Fuller's success will be quantified a little differently.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For sure, if he's getting those numbers I'll be thrilled, those were TY Hilton's rookie numbers which IMO is the best case scenario for him. I'm worried it'll be more like 400 yards on 30 receptions and 70 targets while one or both of the other two going for over 1000 yards in their rookie season.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

800 yards? That's what Hopkins had in his rookie year. Those are great numbers for a #2 WR, let alone a rookie. You might want to lower your expectations.

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seconded.

Last year's WR's in the first 3 rounds:

#4 Amari Cooper 72 for 1070 (Fuller is no Amari Cooper)
    #7 Kevin White (IR all year)
    #14 Devante Parker 26 for 494
    #20 Nelson Agholor 23 for 283
    #26 Breshad Periman (IR all year)
    #29 Phillip Dorsett 18 for 225
    #37 Devin Smith 9 for 115
    #40 DGB 32 for 549
    #41 Devin Funchess 31 for 473
    #69 Tyler Lockett 51 for 664
    #70 Jaelen Strong 14 for 161
    #76 Chris Connoly 17 for 199
    #87 Sammie Coates 1 for 11
    #94 Ty Montgomery 15 for 136

So unless you are a super stud top 10 pick #1 reciever, looks like 20 to 30 receptions for 300-500 yards is a good target range for a rookie WR.

#33 Ottomaton, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
  14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Best draft in Texan history. Grade A

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

I look at drafts two different ways. (1) I look at how the team's needs were addressed and how the depth chart is affected. (2) I look at the talent that was selected and where they were selected.

Based on (1), I was not a fan of picking two WRs and 1 RB without addressing TE and DE. They provide great speed and depth but IMO they needed to upgrade the starters at TE and DE (maybe ILB and S). I was fine with Fuller until they drafted Miller in the 3rd. I really like the Miller at that spot but Nick Vannett. Billings was still on the board when they selected Ervin. However, I loved addressing center, backup NT, and depth at S. Based on this I would give them a C grade.

Based on (2), The only player I thought was picked too early was Ervin. There were more accomplished and more talented RBs on the board. I understand they wanted speed on the offense but this could have waited till the 5th or maybe a trade down if possible. Based on this I give them a B+ grade.

Total grade is a B-

16. whag00

50/ 800 when he hits his prime. I don't know that he will be a traditional #2. Basically the hope is he gets 16 to 18 yards per catch.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The hope is also that he learns how to catch. If he's ever an 800 yard receiver then I think we'll all be thrilled.....of course the 2 WR's who were taken behind him would be disappointments if they were "only" 800 yard WR's in their prime.

18. Buck Turgidson

He and Hopkins remind me a lot of the Alvin Harper-Michael Irvin combo. Draft reasoning was the same too, both teams wanted a deep threat to take the pressure off of their #1 guy. Worst mistake he ever made was leaving as a FA.

19. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Gave it a B+ based on face value of it, but it could end up being an A when things shake out.

Fuller adds the much needed outside deep threat that Hopkins needed opposite of him. HR capability with every reception. Has his faults, but the goods far outweigh the bad. Legit #2 type receiver and a STs upgrade.

Martin, like already said, is a plug n play center. As a rookie he should be either on par with what Jones was last year, if not already better. He's already a much more physical C then Jones had ever been. He should progress into becoming a stout center in this league. Shouldn't have to worry about the C position for the next decade.

Miller while raw as a receiver is simply a dynamic athlete that every team covets. He'll be brought along slowly, learning the WR position, but he will definitely be schemed in to utilize what he does well right off the bat. Should be a big help in STs as well. His drive has me to believe that he'll end up being a steal in the 3rd.

Ervin to me is going to be utilized in multiple ways. He'll obviously immediately compete for return duties as well as gunner duties on STs. But it's his explosiveness out of the backfield either at back or receiver is what intrigues me the most. And that Dexter Mccluster comp to me seems very fitting. I like what he brings to the team all around.

Dillon is a developmental safety than can play at either safety position and nickle CB. Needs more muscle on his frame, and better technique, both of which are fixable. Was what held WVU's defense together, even though his running mate Joseph took some of his shine. He was the glue of that team. Has a lot of potential. With proper motivation and coaching, he can become a starter down the road or at the very least a nice rotational piece.

DJ Reader to me is a steal. Although he isn't much of a pass rusher, he fits the Texans NT position to a T. 1 on 1 he can't be blocked. Eats double teams to free up edge defenders, and is good against the run. Needs work to be more consistent. Be immediate depth at NT behind Wilfork, and with the right coaching up he can become his replacement as the starter. Doesn't have all the negative motivational traits as Nix did, high motor player that wants it.

It's very rare that all the picks live up to their potential, and I wouldn't count on it. But if there is any draft class the Texans have ever had, this one could turn out to be extremely good if these kids work hard and get proper coaching. I don't see a real "bust" potential in the entire group. They'll either be quality starters or dependable rotational players.

20. conquistador#11

the tandem will be explosive like issac bruce and a lesser torry holt with crooked fingers . book it. so 700 yards 7tds,