1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draft Feelings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JamesC, Jun 27, 2007.

1. JamesC

JamesC Member

The NBA draft is one of my favorite times of year in basketball. However aside from Yao, the Rockets have repeatedly made it hard for me to get excited about the players we acquire on draft day. Last year was a personal low for me. So going into this years draft, I expect to be disappointed and hope things turn out differently. Does anybody else feel the same way?

2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Hope that this year will be different...That's what keeps me excited about draft night.

Plus it's interesting to see what others are doing and what our competition will look like.

3. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

If we dont make a move for a stater at the PF position, I will be disappointed.

4. LOSDOG

LOSDOG Member

Other than the obvious Yao choice in 02 the Rocks have done nothing in regards to the draft to make me think that some genius pick will come out of this years draft. I just hope they will come up with a genius trade during the draft. We all know that the Rocks just have never been a great draft team since the late 90's.

So Im sad becuase if we keep who mgmt picks, he will suck and the guy dafted right behind him will be a solid contributor or future all star on somebody elses team. Just like the past several years. :rolleyes:

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

You will be disappointed if we stay at 26 then. Morey has made it clear that the player will not be in their plans next season.

6. RedRowdy111

Just to let you know, we have a new GM in Morey, a new coach in Adelman, and alot of changes in the coaching staff. Lindsey left for San Antonio.

This year will be different than past years just do to a new group running the team. Lets give them the benifet of doubt that they will make good moves. Basically, lets not bury the new guys the first day on the job.

7. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

this year draft is gonna suck.... I can sense it

8. RedRowdy111

Wow, u guys are negative....some new player of some sorts, wither it be a rookie or a vetrn through a trade will end up on the squad by tommorow...hopefully it will better the team and fill some needs at the least.

9. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

If we stay at 26 I would be happy with Fazekas, Big Baby or Williams

If we buy a second rounder (like last year) and get a Euro I'll be happy

If we trade up I'll wait and see

10. Pringles

Pringles Member

we also had some good draft picks as well as bad ones. cuttino in 2nd round, horry over minor (the next jordan), we also stole steve from vancuver, luther isn't pretty bad, neither is sam cassel. also, as someone pointed, lots of front officse change occur, with morey, adlemen, and no more lindsy

11. JamesC

JamesC Member

Fazekas is one of those guys I'm scared we'll end up with. The Duncans, Boozers and Brands of the NBA are gonna manhandle him in the paint.

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

that is pretty much how i feel all the way

13. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

We will learn a lot about Morey in this draft, and whether Les's issues were tied to sabatauging JVG, or if he's just cheap. If they do the safe thing, and just pick the best athlete at #26, we're not going to have much of a team for Yao when TMac retires, IMHO. I hope Les buys us another pick or two.

I do agree with Morey from his press conference yesterday, that the draft won't impact this year seriously, and that the players that will be most impactful to improve this next year will be done through trades and FA.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

BPA.

If it happens to be a PF, then even better. If not, no worries. Just get the best talent. Stock the assets. We can always get a PF via FA or trade either short term or long term. But at #26, get the best value.

15. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I would like us to nab/buy Dominic Mcguire in the second round if possible. He is very athletic and can play the SF/PF while being able to block shots and rebound from either position. He would definitely add depth but we could maybe be better off getting another player but there are players to be had in the second round(Marcus Williams perhaps)

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

Absolutely, the Rockets are famous for draft blunders. Over the last twenty years or so, there has been very few drafts to get excited about. They always seem to come up with players no one has ever heard of, and somehow they never are heard from again. Hakeem and Yao are the exceptions. I am not expecting much. And mark it down, if they get a "name" player don't be surprised if they suddenly disappear.

17. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I would be happy with Williams, Davis, Fazekas, Byars, Almond, Splitter and Bellineli. But if they go big in the 1st round I would like to see the rockets buy a pick in the second round and go after a guys like Tucker, Afflalo, Dowdell or Strawberry if they can. Anyone of those guys would be a good asset to add to the team.

18. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Whether we get a decent PF, perhaps we can buy a low second rounder. Herbert Hill is sinking like a rock and may be there in the low 50s. I was never a fan, but he would add depth to the bench.

19. RedRowdy111

NBDL *

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

So hard to tell in the draft ... statements like these can come back to haunt you. But my feelings going in --

Big letdowns ...
    - Staying at #26 and drafting Nick Fazekas or Jared Dudley, which would mean Daryl Morey is ultra-predictable

I'd be lukewarm on...
    - Staying at #26 and drafting Josh McRoberts (seems like he is the one who should have the nickname "Big Baby"), Glen Davis (I like him, but concerned how he will translate to the pros) or Tiago Splitter (contract issues). Not upset mind you, just not a homerun.

I'd be OK with ...
    - Staying at #26 and drafting Sean Williams, Derrick Byars or Morris Almond
    - or Marco Belinelli or Rudy Fernandez, just to read all the "next Ginobili" threads on the board.

I'd be very happy with ...
    - Making one of the solid picks above, then nabbing an early or mid second rounder to get a slider, like a Davis, Fazekas or some Euro
    - Trading up and nabbing that lottery slider, which you know is coming ... Thaddeus Young, Julian Wright, Javaris Crittenton/Acie Law or Al Thornton maybe. I consider this very unlikely.

I'd jump off a cliff with a smile on my face...
    - If some team got draft happy and overpaid for our #26 and player(s) by coughing up a solid, young PF (extremely unlikely)