1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draft day trades........... NVE?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ceonwuka, May 31, 2005.

1. micah1j

micah1j Member

I agree with everything you say. I was just pointing out the team option. They might also want to let Earl Watson walk.

But on second thought I think Memphis would need to accept the option first before this deal so it would not have to happen before June 30th. But then again if they are going to give us the 19th pick we would want to select the player not Memphis. And then again we might only do it if a particular player is available at 19.

Its interesting. I wish there was a link. I've searched NY Post & NY Daily news and don't see it.

2. micah1j

micah1j Member

On third thought Memphis will not accept the option unless they have a trade in place so it would need to be in place before June 30th.

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

not that i really like bonzi (i don't) but the trade just makes sence to me.

after checking some stats on 82games.com i found out that our second least productive position (1st being PF) is not SG, but PG.

this trade would open up that spot for a more productive player to be aquired. kidd is unlikely. cassell is a possibility for ending contracts. in the FA pool there is too many good YOUNG PG's to name them all. i'm sure we can add one of them. for argument sake i will go with jeff Mcinnis for the MLE. he is tall (6'4) quick, can shoot, and defend.

mcinnis, bonzi, and tmac would make a very quick and athletic backcourt. they can score and defend. james, JB, #24, #19 and deke would be a very nice bench.

again, i didn't find anything on this either. but my friend said he read it. either way, its probably not going to happen, but it makes for interesting convo.

4. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

Also, the fact that we have spounillis coming for the 2005 season, it makes Sura expendable. I think this trade has some validity to it.

Maybe if they add Swift to the deal, it would make it even more interesting. Maybe we could send them Baker and Weatherspoon as well. It would give the Grizzlies a ton of Cap Relief come next season....

5. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I think I hear this every year.:)

6. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

Smoothie:

I like your back court right well. I assume you aim to pick a serviceable PF through #19 & #24, but word is that JVG wants to bring in a veteran PF. That would be a trade I suppose. We are getting kind of short of tradable players. However, whether we trade for a PF or not I sure like the Idea of bringing in 'you know who' from the German league. IMO he is going to take a couple of years to get used to playing with Yao and TMac anyway so he might as well come now.

7. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

I heard the Blazers GM on the Jungle (Rome's show) and he said they could use NVE in trades for a big name player b/c the team that traded for him could cut him and not have to pay the option on his contract.

8. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Nope, I'm guessing that either you heard him say this before last season's trade deadline or that you misunderstood. Here's the actual verbage taken from the NBA CBA:

Article VII, Section 8. item C:

(c)A Team cannot trade any player after the NBA trade deadline occurring in the last Season of the player's Contract, or after the NBA trade deadline occuring in any Season that could be the last Season of the player's Contract based upon the exercise or non-exercise of an Option or Early Termination Option.

9. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

The GM must not know what he's talking about then because I know what I heard.