1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draft day trades........... NVE?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ceonwuka, May 31, 2005.

1. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Do draft day trades HAVE to include draft picks?..... If not, I'm thinking maybe we could swing a deal like this:

Juwon Howard/ D. Wesley/ C. Ward

---for---

Nick Van Exel (Team option for $12 mil)

We decline NVE's option and have signifigant cap space to sign one player for $8-ish million (Chandler, J. Johnson, B. Simmons, Swift, Mobley, SAR, etc.) and we would still have the MLE to sign another piece (A. Daniels, K. Brown, M. Jaric, etc.)

My personal dream scenario would be netting Chandler with a large front loaded contract, using the MLE on Marco Jaric of the Clippers, signing either Kerry Kittles or Raja Bell, and using our pick to draft the BEST player available. We would have holes (backup PF, backup SF) but we would still have the tools to add another piece during the season (expiring contract of Spoon, Baker = about $8 mill)

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

1. I think we're more than $4 million over the cap, so I'm not sure if we'd have cap space after this trade.

2. You lose the MLE when you drop under the cap.

3. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

No way Portland wants Juwon Howard for 4 more years. They have Randolph, Pryzbilla, and Radcliffe, and some young guys already.

4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I would do it to drop salary immediately but why would the blazers? They're doing a youth movement and that excludes any even near thirty.

5. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

Yao's max extention will kick in that season, leaving us with no cap room anyway.

6. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Nice thought, but it's not legal. Portland wouldn't be allowed to trade NVE, unless they picked up his option. Otherwise, they don't own his rights, so they can't deal him.

Additionally, why in the world would Portland do that deal?

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Great idea! Maybe better yet we can split the MLE and use it to sign Joe Johnson and Tyson Chandler. ;)

8. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Hey let the guy have some hope would ya! :p

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Man, I hope Chandler would continue to improve in that case, because adding a mediocre player like Jaric*, combined with someone like Kittles, who's pretty mediocre, would give you a bench that's downright, well, mediocre. I'd rather keep Howard than get Jaric and Kittles.

*Yes, I know he's European and tall for a PG, but neither of those things actually makes him good.

10. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

i saw nick the other day here in houston, for some reason i think he's going to be a rocket this coming season :confused: but then again he lives here.

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

GATER and NIKE are going to have a feild day with this thread.

I actually heard from a friend today that he read in the NY post that the rockets and blazers are talking about a deal that would send us bonzi and the 19th pick for sura, wesley, and 2 future second rounders. i havent read the paper today, so take it for what its worth.

12. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Interesting, especially since Bonzi and the 19th pick belong to Memphis at the moment. Substitute the Grizzlies for the Blazers and that would be accurate. That aside, why would we do that? Maybe for a #9 ... but a #19?

#12 thumbs, May 31, 2005
    Last edited: May 31, 2005
  13. New Jack

New Jack Member

Seems like a good deal to me. Wells is better and younger than both players and we also get a 19th pick for two older players with injury problems that probably have only one productive season left. The Rockets get younger, more athletic, and more talented.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Agreed...unless Swift is also in the package. But that would have to be a sign and trade, and he can't be signed until FA starts...so I guess, unless the deal is done under that table, which is highly unlikely, all this really gets us is another crack at getting lucky with a late draft pick - which is enticing - and a chance at a player who has talent but may or may not be a chemistry issue...which is a 50/50 proposition in my opinion.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Smoothie your friend is mistaken. Bonzi and the 19th pick belong to Memphis not the Blazers. I doubt if this true.

16. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I must be on your ignore list again.;)

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

sorry guys I meant to say grizz and not blazers. my fault.

I like the deal. bonzi can't really hit the 3 that great but neither can sura. it opens up room to sign a PG (AD, watson, jaric) and gives us another first round pick.

i don't see how Thumbs and JayZ can ask for more? sura and wesley for bonzi is better for us. 2 second rounders for the #19 is better for us.

the only reason memphis does it is because they need to get rid of bonzi. in return they get his replacement at backup SG (wesley) and a replacement for watson (sura) who will likely leave for more $$. they want to get rid of the #19 for cap reasons and we take it off their hands.

again this is just a rumor with probably no validity, but it is the offseason and there isnt a lot to read around here.

18. micah1j

micah1j Member

Bonzi Wells has a team option next year. He is already gone unless they want to trade him away before June 30th. If they did this then that would mean they actually want Sura/Wesley not that they want to get rid of Bonzi.

It has positives for the Rockets. We would get Wells and he would only have 1 year left on his contract plus the #19 pick. Wells is an upgrade over Wesley. But we would be PG light with Mike James only.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The number 19 for 2 second rounders is clearly better for us. If Memphis wants to do that deal, go for it.

Wells for Sura / Wesley is questionable. Wells certainly makes us younger, but better? Who know. He is at best an average rebounder and passer. He is not a good 3 point shooter. He's a decent defender. But you are giving up 2 rotation players, both starters, for one...who may not even be good enough to be a starter.

What's more, the 2 players you are giving up are really you're only true trading pieces moving forward with actual value based on talent and not contract expiration alone.

So the question becomes, is the ability to get the #19 enticing enough. For me, it's not really. I do believe this could be a deep draft, and maybe a #19 lets you get a Sean May whereas a #24 won't. But I still think you could end up striking out at both spots.

Why do this trade when something much better may come along? (unless Swift is involved).

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

they might actually want sura and wesley. wesley for his shooting and ending contract and sura for his stability behind Jwill.

west is a great GM and if he can get something in return for a player that is just going to walk anyway he will do it.

funny you braught up making a trade before june 30. that is basically what JVG said he wants to do when he said he wanted to make a trade before going into FA signing.

JayZ - i agree 100% its a risky move and who knows if it will pay off or not? i'm not for this trade, but i think its interesting and has potential to be a very good move. like JVG said some bold moves will have to be made even if it disrupts some chemistry.

just an interesting idea...

if this were to happen, we would need 3 positions (PG, PF, SF). we have the full MLE and two picks to fill those spots. if we use the MLE to find a starting PG (watson, jaric, mcinnis, AD) draft a good PF at 19 (may, warrick, villanueva), then draft a good SF at 24 (garcia, hodge, winston) we would have a pretty deep team.