1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draft Day Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spacemoth, May 19, 2010.

1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I never said that you thought that Whiteside was better. I was simply answering your question.

Your question was "And besides why do you want to draft earlier???

The answer is that it's desireable to draft earlier in order to acquire a much better player (Cousins). If you can get a guy of that caliber for a fair price then you do it. There's a very good chance that Whiteside won't be ready to even play backup center for another year or two.

Morey isn't going to give up "half the roster" in order to move up. He might give up an asset (as he did with Landry) but he's not going to overpay. At a minimum, Cousins in an immediate rotation guy playing significant minutes. Ultimately, he's likely to be a starter at either PF or C. Whiteside certainly could develop eventually but if you draft him then you are most likely still looking for a backup center for next season.

1 person likes this.
  2. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I think Bosh, Wade, Lebron, Stoudamire and the other top FAs will all name where they want to go. That's the perk for being so sought after. They'll all shop around but ultimately they'll pick where they want to go. Even guys like Rashard Lewis were able to pick their team so why wouldn't a guy of Bosh's level be able to do the same?

As I said earlier, Toronto won't take garbage in return for Bosh but they also won't get fair value. They'd much rather get some good assets for Bosh rather than letting him walk for nothing.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

exactly all this talk of what toronto would or would not accept for bosh. its right at somewhere in the middle. :eek:

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I see some of you agree and disagree about Whiteside, but i am here to say i am all in for Hassan Whiteside. This kid is not even in the NBA and has already made a decision that took some well known NBA profesoinals years to do. Started training with Hakeem Olajuwan. Smart, smart move!! This kid has already made it known that he knows there are doubters out there and he is going to win them(us) all over. MUCH respect! :cool:

5. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Budinger for Cousins isn't a lateral move, but Budinger for George is.

I would give up Budinger in a heartbeat for Cousins.

Pugs

6. Houston_Rockets

Just imagine,

4th pick for 14th and Budinger

Do you even think that they accept his trade??? I thnk not
    And if they demand Bud, 14th, and Hill??? You give 2 rotation young guys plus a pick for ... A YOUNG ROTATION GUY

I just think that it is useless to trade for a prospect giving them 3 prospects, I don't question cousins value, love his game, but so do I love Hill and Budinger future, and that is why i say that

Whiteside
    Hill
    Budinger

Are 3 young men that have a bright future, I just hope we keep them all for years, and if they reach their maximum market price without reaching superstar status, THEN trade them, Buy low sell high

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Good god why?

Bigs bust a lot.

And Budinger had an oustanding rookie year and did it in the NBA....

Cousins would be great, but don't give up players you KNOW can play for those you HOPE can play.

DD

8. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

It would take a hell of lot more than Budinger to aquire a draft pick that high in getting Cousins.

9. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Well, its a risk, but its one you have to take. Cousins is a man-child. He could be a bust, but imagine how high on the draft board he is WITH "personality issues", now imagine if John Wall was in that body..
    What I mean is, at the end of the day its a business, people are going to take profit and others loose, and in order to increase your chances of profit, you need to take risk's. Whats good is that you can find ways to decrease all theses risks and get them close to zero.
    I'm sure you know all about this anyway, you have your own game-designing business no? Anyways, you get my vibe :)

10. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I'm thinking of Joe Johnson for Kelvin Mart and maybe Jared Jeffries or Shane Battier.

Please don't be fooled by Joe's bad playoff, it wasn't like they were actually running an offense. I think he's a better long term option at a significantly cheaper price.

11. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

If we can develop while staying very competitive. Our future is very bright.

AB, Lowry, Budinger, JT, Hill, Ariza, Kmart or (Joe Johnson), Whiteside... Look's like some very good building blocks as teams like the Laker, Spurs, and Mavericks, begin to fade

12. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Kevin's age > Johnsons age
    Kevin's offense > Johnsons offense
    Kevin's defense < Johnson's defense
    Kevin's salary > Johnson' upcoming salary

13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Tell me again how Joe Johnson is going to be cheaper than "Kelvin" Martin?

JJ will command near max dollars, AND we'd have to give up assets in a sign-and-trade to keep him. Kevin Martin is not going anywhere short of LeBron or Wade deciding they want to play here.

14. CXbby

CXbby Member

You have got to be beyond delusional not to trade Budinger for a 4th/5th pick.

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I agree.

16. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

In Terms Of Free Agency, Who Lost Lottery?

3. Chris Bosh. If he wants to get back to Texas, the Rockets didn't come up with a way to make it easier by staying in their slot. The chance to move one spot down in the draft doesn't make a sign-and-trade with Houston more appealing for the Raptors.

link