1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draft Day Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spacemoth, May 19, 2010.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

Morey doesn't yet seem like the type of GM who would swing for the fences, but at the same time, just because he hasn't done it yet doesn't mean he WON'T do it.

I can't help but think in the back of my mind about these reports that he's trying to move up to grab a #3 or #4 pick. On one level, it doesn't make sense to me, since the Rockets are obviously in win-now mode and the possibility of finding someone at those spots who would make an immediate contribution to a championship as a rookie is negligible (Cousins or Favors? MAYBE).

But wouldn't a #3 pick look really good to the Cavs as part of a sign-and-trade? I mean, throw in a couple of starters, a Knicks 1st-rounder or two, and whatever else is needed for salary balancing, and the Cavs have essentially skipped a year in the rebuilding process. And something tells me that while LeBron is almost certainly going to leave the Cavs, he'll probably want to do it in a way that doesn't demolish his hometown team as he's on the way out.

Just daydreaming, perhaps, but Morey has proven to be pretty savvy when it comes to stocking assets that come to play in bigger deals.

2. ROCKCITY

ROCKCITY Member

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ERcmFdlrrXY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ERcmFdlrrXY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I still say that we have the talent to get it done without giving up the #14. As i stated earlier, this draft will have at least,at least 12 players who will make an impact on their teams next 2 seasons. It is better to take advantage of this opportunity while we have the talent to do so.

4. ROCKCITY

ROCKCITY Member

Paul George

NBA Comparison: Trevor Ariza/Danny Granger

Strengths: Paul has some very appealing aspects to his game that could translate nicely to the next level ... a 6'8 small forward with a long wingspan and unlimited NBA range, he has a quick release and does not need much room to let it fly ... His athleticism and ability to run the floor make him dynamic in transition, resulting in big time dunks that can spark his team ... He attempted exactly 132 free throws in both his freshman and sophomore years, however he hit 28 more his sophomore year (a 70% to 91% jump)... Impressive vision and passing skills, which is not usually the case for a perimeter forward (3 assists per game) ... Rebounds well for a small forward at over 7 per game ... Defensively his athleticism contributes to over 2 steals and almost a block per game, illustrating his ability to anticipate and make a play on the ball ...

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/paul-george

5. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

I think one Trevor is enough lol...but seriously what are the odds this kid turns out to be like Granger? I would say slim.

6. Raven

Raven Member

If Morey thinks Little Ricky is the real deal, and can acquire him, plus the 4th pick, for Brooks, Hill, and two first rounders, I don't see how you can pass that up. To me, if Morey is right about Rubio, that sounds like the deal of the century. Of course, these players could be a bust, which is why Minny would even entertain the offer, because there are no guarantees. Brooks has value, because he's good and getting better.

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I don't think there is even a remote chance of that going down, not with Brooks involved anyway. Trading Brooks and Hill, two guys that we KNOW fit the team and can contribute, for a complete unknown in Rubio and whoever would be taken with the fourth pick. And at the same time, we'd evaporate two of our three first round picks that we have as trade assets for Bosh.

You could argue that the #4 pick would just be bait for Bosh, but remember that we cannot negotiate that before the FA period starts. We would be taking a huge risk without knowing if Bosh wanted to come here.

I just don't see anyway we trade Brooks to move up (unless it's to #1 or 2) and still plan to contend for a title next season. Rubio is not going to come over and be ready to run the point for a contender.

Now if we can get #4 and Rubio for Llull, Budinger, Hill, #14, and a first round pick, that would be worth considering.

8. Garner

Garner Member

Haha, poor danny. He looked so crushed yesterday not to be in the top 3.

Gordon Hayward to the Pacers? Most likely.

9. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

There is no chance you get #4 + Rubio for that package. I don't think you guys understand what kind of value Rubio has and what kind of player he is.
    The Kings passed on him last year because they didn't like the workout they had with him. Obivously your not going to like a workout 1-vs-none because he isn't that type of guy, he won't make windmill dunks and all that. HOWEVER, he will excel if you put 4 other guys around him and ask him to make things happen.
    He is a quaterback, a #10, a true PG. I see a lot of Rajon Rondo in him to be honest.

And to those who think he can't lead a team to a championship, just look at his past achievements:
    And he is only 19 years old. Now i'm not saying there is no shot he won't be a bust, but when Kobe Bryant, Chris Paul, Daryl Morey, most NBA executives are prasing him and that he has such an amazing pedigree and still years to grow and learn, you have to give the kid some prop's.

2 people like this.
  10. ROCKCITY

ROCKCITY Member

Yeah but if you watch him play, he will definitely turn out better than Ariza. He can already shoot better than Ariza and is a pretty solid defender. If Morey does trade Ariza/Battier/Budinger then Paul George would be a great addition to the team. In my opinion, he's a can't miss rookie. He makes everything look so effortlessly. I think this kid has a bright future, he may not become as good as Granger, but can easily be as good or better than Ariza.

11. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Have the feeling that Morey will trade for another pick, use 1 pick for a SnT and draft the other one. This draft looks top heavy and nothing much after that.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

There are quite a few sleepers sprinkled here and there in the late 1st and 2nd rounds. Very deep draft.

13. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

I think after last year's "lost" season (no playoffs), Morey will be in a win-now frame of mind, and giving up players like Brooks and other assets for Rubio and the No. 4 doesn't accomplish that. He'll want to use assets, and especially established players like Brooks, to acquire players who can help the Rockets compete for a championship immediately -- i.e., Bosh. I don't think Morey will be looking primarily for players who can help a couple years down the road.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He may not have a choice but to do so if Minn. were to take that offer. It is too good to be true and like you, i do not think it will happen. Someone like Cousins could come in and contribute, while at the same time getting better as the season progresses. IMO, with players like Brooks, Chase, Hill and Taylor, we should be able to move up in the draft.

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

"He may not have a choice" is poor wording when it comes to making trades. I am a Rubio fan like the rest of you but there are way too many people wearing rose-colored glasses when it comes to him. His value is not unlimited. He is an as of yet unproven point guard whose could turn into anybody from Steve Nash to Vassilis Spanoulis, albeit extremely unlikely to be as good or bad as either of them, respectively. And no matter where he lands, it's gonna take 3-4 years to reach his plateau. What's the price of that in terms of a franchise that has a chance to compete now? Llull cost us 2.5M to stash away and he might yield the same dividends.

Too much of Rubio revolves around his aura. I have to admit I was completely enamored during the Olympics. But if you take the name away from the player, what you have is a prospect that still carries some risk and will take time to grow, time that the Rockets can't afford to give up much for. Rubio + #4 might sound enticing and would be extremely dumb on Minny's part (as well as completely against a rebuilding team's philosophy of accruing young assets), but it's not a guarantee the Rockets should accept it. In the short term we would be worse without Brooks and Budinger and Hill. It would preclude us from acquiring a Bosh-type player. And no matter how good Cousins/Favors is he won't be as good as Bosh next year. Barring injury, he won't be as good as Al Jefferson next year.

My gut and the fact that this is the deepest draft in some years tell me that Morey will make some kind of pick in the first round even if it's not at 14. But you know what? The more likely deal for which you say "he may not have a choice" to is the one where we get a top flight NBA player in a sign-and-trade involving our pick.

16. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Morey tries, he just gets pritchslapped in the process.

He worked with CD to get Roy and lost out.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

That guy looks impressive, finishing with both hands, pulling up deep, and from midrange.

He has all the tools.....for him, it will all be about opportunity and mentality.

So many young players feel entitled instead of responsible these days.

DD

#37 DaDakota, May 20, 2010
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  18. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Did you see this?

NBA Comparison: Trevor Ariza/Danny Granger

:grin:

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yeah, but hopefully that is just defensively on Trevor, because offensively he is already WAY better than Ariza.

DD

20. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I was just playin. I know nothing about the guy. I barely watch college ball like I used to back in the day.

I did see this listed among his weaknesses in that link though:

-George's biggest weakness is his inability to create for himself, and his poor shooting percentage when pulling up off the dribble ... Lacks a great handle which limits his overall game, as practically all of his baskets come from spotting up, good position down low, or in transition...

Ariza 2.0 :grin:

Having said that, just from watching those clips, even if those are legit weaknesses, he clearly handles the ball and shoots better than Ariza. That isn't saying much though. I'm pretty sure my grandmother does, too.

Also, those kinds of vids like the one above obviously only show us some of his better plays. If somebody cared to, you could put together a 3 or 4 minute clip that made Ariza look good in areas that are really weaknesses.