1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Draft could still be rich

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by sir scarvajal, Mar 21, 2000.

1. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

I just think right now is the time guys are least hinting that they will come out. My hunch is many of these guys will come out once they get distance from college game, I think history suggests this. Like I said sure fire lottery picks usually do come out, even if at this time of year they are saying otherwise. This is largely a hunch though, and I do appreciate any personal insight ya'll have about whether certain players appear likely to stay/come out.

Duncan is in what his third season?? So if 3 7-footers are better than anyone comparable player the past 2 drafts that is pretty good company in my mind. These available guys are certainly more skilled than the likes of other high-priced centers like Dampier, Cato, Geiger, Olowakandi, Austin, or Purdue. Semi-skilled 7 footers are just really hard to come by and are easily worth a mid-lottery pick or better.

------------------

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Battier has already said he is not coming out. He tried to blame their loss last year to UCONN on Brand's decision, or lack thereof until after the tournament.

------------------
    Is it any coincidence that we are the only team mentioned in the national anthem?

I didn't think so!

3. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Well you know about Mihm press conference in 3 weeks...

Also, El-Amin may forego senior season and jump to NBA, however he might lose out if he's in a battle with Penn, Cleaves, and Barkley.

This brings up the next person...Barkley. He's close to his decesion.

------------------
    A big time draft site has tried to stunt our growth, but we will succeed!

The little draft site that could!

4. Drag-On 88

Drag-On 88 Member

I really like El-Amin's game... but he's a little, [​IMG] let me be nice [​IMG], hefty. Do you guys think he'll be able to keep up with NBA point guards???

------------------

5. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

El-Amin: No way. Second round at best.

Barkley: With his recent run-ins with the NCAA, I would be shocked if he didn't come out.

------------------
    "Sources tell me that the Blazers held a team meeting after the two losses..." - "Pistol" Pete Vescey with the inside scoop.

6. rocketsfan34

I'm hearing from a variety sources that Barkley HAS DECIDED. I'll report it as soon as it becomes official.

------------------

[This message has been edited by rocketsfan34 (edited March 21, 2000).]

7. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

I think we should consider many players may say now they are staying but nonetheless come out after the emotion of the NCAA turney has mellowed and they see they will be lottery picks. Guys rarely say they are coming out than don't, where as they often say they are staying yet change their mind later (even over coaches objections, like Avery & Magette). It is really a big risk to stay in school when you are ready for the pros and a sure fire lottery pick. Most of the young great players did not stay for 4--Carter, Iverson, Marbury, Francis, Bibby, Abdur-Rahim, Jamison, some not even go for 1 (Garnett, Kobe, McGrady).

So I think there is hope for Swift, Woods, Mihm, Morris, Haywood, D Johnson, E. Barkley, Murphy, Boozer, Redd & Jefferson to enrich the draft.

Also, we already know Fizer, Martin, E. Thomas, K. Johnson, Richardson, Cleaves, Peterson, Penn, Battier (actually I am starting to think this guy may be a player), Arceneaux, Carrawell & Alexander are there.

If even half of the above underclassman come out (all probably lottery picks), plus 1 or 2 high schoolers, it looks to me as a great draft. As I have said before, I see potentially three 7 footers (Woods, Mihm, & Haywood) who are more skilled than any I can remember coming out since Tim Duncan, plus solid PF/C types in Thomas and Johnson, plus great PFs in Martin, Swift & Fizer (I am sorry this guy looks way more explosive than KT), so it may be a very, very good draft for big men. Sprinkle in a few early picks as going for teams looking for the stud guards, and we could get prime picking at 5 to 7.

[This message has been edited by sir scarvajal (edited March 21, 2000).]

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

lol!!

That's not saying much. Duncan was drafted what? 2-3 years ago!

------------------
    Not only am I president of the WaltWizFanClub, I'm also the member.

[This message has been edited by CriscoKidd (edited March 21, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by CriscoKidd (edited March 21, 2000).]

9. rocketsfan34

Yes if half of those players come out it would be great draft. But you have to realize which half, from rockets perspective we need a frontcourt guy, and if all the guards come out, it serves no purpose to us.

I know Woods will probably staying, there have been many reports on him staying so I would count him out.

Mimh will be giving a press conference or so in 3 weeks. He'll make his decision then and he's asking tim duncan for advice.

Haywood, I have no idea, he hasn't lived up to his potential, however did do better in Stanford game.

I'm not sure Battier would come out, try Pete Mickeal. Both are very similar, top notch defenders however Mickeal has one year more seasoning I believe, and has a better offensive game.

I think this could be the first year that no high school players will come since Garnett. Gerald Wallace is probably the only one seriously considering coming out. If he's a top 8 pick, he's gone. Darius Miles might come out if his grades or scores aren't good enough.

------------------

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

CC.net is pretty much my only source of information on college ball. I don't follow it at all. Which is why it is funny to hear predictions that El-Amin won't go till the second round. I remember how high posters here were on him last year around this time. What happened that his stock should fall so far among armchair coaches in one year?

------------------

11. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I say stay far away from Woods. He is injury prone and transfered from Wake Forest because he didn't want to be compared to Duncan and have all that pressure. Imagine if he came to Houston to follow Dream.

12. rocketsfan34

We were high on him last cuz we needed a PG. Even with all the 6 PGs ahead he would have been available at our pick. Now that we have Francis AND Drew AND Moochie, PG doesn't seem much a priority. He's still about the same spot this year. He thought maybe if he waited a year the PG crop would lessen, however there still Barkley, Penn, and Cleaves he has to worry about. And if he waits another year, than Dooling Watson, and Williams come into the equations. Either way he's pretty much a late first to early second. I feel sorry for the guy.

------------------