1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dr Phil - Racist?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ehsan, May 26, 2008.

1. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

I caught a couple of episodes of Dr Phil because it was about this guy in the Middle East.

As the story goes, the girl met the guy on myspace. Fell in love. Flew to Palestine to be with him without her parents' knowledge. Stays there a while, appears to be in love. Parents are obviously horrified.

She's begged to come back (live satellite) through the Dr Phil show and she agrees. She tells the guy that she'll be back in 10 days or so.

She comes back. Turns out the guy verbally abused her on mroe than one occasion and even physically abused her once (with a belt, but was disputed). She tells him she's not coming back and it's over. He gets angry on the show.

Now, I'm not saying the guy was inncocent at all. He clearly had anger issues, and it's easy to believe that he verbally and physically abused her.

That's not what ticked me off. What ticked me off is that, in tis sensitive time, Dr Phil constantly had the tone that the problem was that this guy is Arab and in the Middle East. No, he did not say that. But I felt that the episodes clearly focused on the fact that he's Arab, and by the end of it, they might as well have just shouted out "He's Arab!!".

I found it ridiculous. But then I thought maybe I'm overreacting. I'm 99% convinced that the whole thing was racist in nature. What do you guys think? Did anyone catch it?

Here's a link: Dr. Phil

2. TrailerMonkey

TrailerMonkey Member

I wouldn't get too worked up over it. Dr Phil's well-known as a sensationalist douche-bag. I doubt anyone really watches that show anymore and to answer your question, yes, he couldn't have been more racist if he straight up pointed at that middle eastern guy and yelled out a racial slur.

3. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I have not cared for Dr. Phil since 9/11 when he appeared on tv preaching about how we're supposed to feel about the attacks.

4. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

they gotta find a way to entertain people every day. sometimes bad ideas just pop up.

5. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

It's just really disturbing because this isolated incident was used to fuel a bad stereotype.

6. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

What's really disturbing is that you actually admitted to watching Dr. Phil...that's even worse than admitting to watching Oprah. I am pretty sure that's an offense punishable by death in many countries in the Middle East...

7. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

One of the times Britney went psycho, Dr. Phil visited her in the hospital. Her family didn't know Dr. Phil was planning to use the visit as a show. Once it came out in the press, he apologized and backed off and said it was a mistake.

Dr. Phil = a-hole

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That's what they show in their torture prisons 24/7, and why the prisoners are emotionally disturbed should they be released.

9. tigermission1

Dr. Phil is the secret weapon in the War on Terror, the only man who can terrorize the terrorists...

10. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

This, of course, ignores the fact that Dr. Phil reporting about his visits with her to the press violates therapist confidentiality.

11. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Not taking doctor Phil's side, but since when do Muslim men treat women with any respect? Is this some new phenonemon that I'm not aware of?

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Dr. Phil - Egotistical Quack.

13. tigermission1

This is very true. I start every morning with a bowl of cereal and a side dish of wife-slapping. It's absolutely invigorating, gets me pumped up for a long day at work. Non-Muslims are missing out.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I never understood in those cereal commercials on what a "complete breakfast" meant.

I learn something new here every day.

15. tigermission1

Cheaper than a can of Red Bull, too...

16. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Actually I think you mean Tyra Banks. Her show IS the secret weapon.
    I've heard its the preferred torture method by prisons now instead of Dr. Phil.

After 10 mins of listening to Tyra talk about herself, people break down.

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Althought i think Dr. Phil is better than Oprah, his show alon with all other shows like it are total jokes

18. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Mehh. That's a whole topic altogether.

Spousal abuse is more common in the Middle East, but that's because of poverty and illiteracy, not Islam.

You, my friend, are displaying exactly the kind of behavior that Dr Phil displayed.

It's akin to me creating a talk show and critisizing a Muslim man for allowing his American/Christian wife to hang out with other guys or to dress (what we consider) inappropriately. Throughout the whole show, I would keep a backdrop of the American flag with a cross floating around.

There's just absolutely no reason to mention the nationality or religion, and obviously less reason to focus on those things.