1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dr. Clanton Leaving Houston Sports Teams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by romain, Jun 30, 2009.

1. romain

romain Member

From Bob Sura to McGrady to Mutombo to Yao, any thoughts about this?

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/090430_clanton_leaving_sports_teams

Dr. Clanton Leaving Houston Sports Teams

Updated: Thursday, 30 Apr 2009, 10:11 PM CDT
    Published : Thursday, 30 Apr 2009, 4:59 PM CDT

MARK BERMAN
    HOUSTON - DR. Tom Clanton, a team physician for the Houston Rockets, Houston Texans, and Rice University, is leaving his practice in July and will join the Steadman-Hawkins Clinic in Vail, Colorado. Clanton is taking over the sports medicine foot and ankle section at Steadman-Hawkins.

"It's been a sea of emotion," Clanton said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports Thursday. "I've been considering an offer from Steadman-Hawkins for two years."

Clanton points out his decision is as much about family as it is about business. He has two daughters who live in the Vail, Colorado area.

"I've had great associations with the other team physicians that I have worked with," Clanton said. "We have an incredible medical community that makes it hard to leave, but the family situation that I am going to as well as the chance to work in a world class medical clinic is something that I can't pass up."

Clanton has been the team physician for Rice since 1982. He has been one of the Texans' doctors since their inception in 2002 and he has worked with the Rockets for five years.

"(Rockets Vice-President of Basketball Operations and trainer) Keith Jones and I talked about me maintaining a relationship with the Rockets," Clanton said. "I plan to continue as a consultant with them as long as they want me."

And Clanton believes he is leaving Rice in good shape.

"I played football at Rice and I have always enjoyed my association with Rice as their team physician," Clanton said. "I'm leaving that situation in good hands with Dr. Leland Winston who also played football at Rice.

"My wife and I look forward to babysitting the grandchildren, teaching them to flyfish, and looking at the mountains."

Clanton is currently the chief of orthopedic Services at Memorial Hermann Hospital. He is also the co-medical director of The Sports Medicine Institute at Memorial Hermann along with Dr. Walter Lowe and Dr. Mark Addickes. This is the institute formerly named after Roger Clemens.

Clanton also serves as the interim-chair of the department of orthopedic surgery at the University of Texas Medical School at Houston.

He was the chairman of that department for nine years before stepping down to take on the dutites associated with the The Sports Medicine Institute. He was asked again in December to head UT's medical school on an interim-basis.

2. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

30 Apr 2009 :rolleyes:

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Welcome to a couple of months ago.

4. romain

romain Member

Yeah I know. But considering he's leaving in July and the current situation of Yao...

5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

he's taking the offer before the Rockets give his ass the boot.

6. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Good for his ass, His ass needs to get the steppin didnt do jack squat over here. Hopefully after his ass is gone the curse would be gone too.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He was about to get canned for spreading the Yao news like gifts to GMs. **** you Dr.

8. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

Maybe he just made the **** up about Yao and Yaos actually perfectly fine.

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He was on his way out so he was probably like screw it, let me dish the truth.

10. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

WHAT AN A$$$$$$

Degreed. Long resume. Titles... but in the end...

did SQUAT for the Rockets, and arguably more harm, than good.

Good job talking with the media before letting the Rox org make a statement of their own on Yao.

Sheesssh... I hate jokers like these.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    :mad:
    theSAGE

11. tofu--

tofu-- Member

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

It's time for some new blood. Maybe Les will make the same kind of improvement in personnel he made when he replaced CD with Morey.

13. nomad_balla

nomad_balla Member

now i'm thinking ot myself if yao's surgery was called for last season. damn they had an option of just letting it sit and heal instead or putting in the screws. wondering how it would have turned out if yao didn't get screws inserted.

14. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

That was unprofessional and maybe unethical (HIPAA). It's something a disgruntled ex-employee would do which makes me think that he probably wasn't too happy about the terms in which he left. Maybe he was forced out? Poor Morey ... curve ball after curve ball. First Screaming A. Smith at the deadline and now this.

#14 rocketsregle, Jun 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  15. conquistador#11

I've never seen a doctor, not named Kevorkian, under so much heat. :p

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Yeah what ever happened to Doctor patient confidentiality?

17. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

He's leaving us to be in charge of foot/ankle injuries? Good luck Colorado.

18. stangend77

stangend77 Member

agreed.....and i bet going forward prof. sports teams wont touch him with a ten foot stick for tht stunt....unless something is going on we dont know about, but i doubt it......it feels like he knew he was on his way out and decided to get some media coverage before he hit the road.....wht an a$$ :mad:

19. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Here's the...
    EPIC FAIL
    [​IMG]

20. Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]