1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Douchebags, Chavs and Bogans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Aug 17, 2013.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a question for the British and Aussie Clutchfans. Are Douchebags, Chavs and Bogans basically the same? I never got a good definition of a Bogan while I was in Australia and they struck me as what we in the US call "douchebag". Chavs also seem like UK douchebags and I am thinking that both Chavs and bogans are regional variants of douchebags.

This is an important sociological question and one that could have a great bearing on purveyors of cheap beer, barbwire tats, NY Yankees caps and Axe body spray throughout the English speaking world. ;)

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

somebody please teach those dullards in the UK and Australia how to speak the language.

thanks in advance

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

an aussie girl in phuket once told me that bogan = trailer trash

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

what about a "grogan"?

6. Christopher

Christopher Member

A bogan isn't the same as a douchebag. A bogan is kind of like trailer trash as someone said. It means you like trashy, simple things in a way. So a bogan would be sporting a sweet mullet for instance. They'd probably have a thousand tattoos as well.

Not too sure on the chav thing. I talk to a lot of Poms (English people) and I still don't get it.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Chavs are more like wiggers

8. Christopher

Christopher Member

That's actually about as good of a definition as you will get. Lol

9. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

Certainly trailer trash is the best description for a bogan although we probably label a larger portion of the population a bogan than you would trailer trash. Some red necks would also be considered bogan. Basically lower income/welfare who like v8 car racing, chicks are fat but wear tights and the blokes rock mullets and drink VB, that would be your typical image of a bogan. Douchebags are still called douches here.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

It seems as a bogan and chav are similar. Neither are necessarily douchebags. I have seen chavs described differently from region to region. They all have an 'undesirable' appeal. Typically a chav is a trashy person.

11. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Chavs- lower class trash. Similar to Bogans.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

What about Brogans?

Are they lower class dudes who are still cool?

13. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

From the way my cousin in England talks about 'Chavs' - my understanding was they're equivalent to the 'Esh lads' in Australia.

Esh lads - walk around with their bum bags, a cigarette on their ear, ridiculous hairstyles that have some origins of a mullet, and swear constantly because it's tough.

Bogans - The equivalent of 'trailer trash' is the best way to describe it.

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Council-Housed and Violent

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You nailed it, brofessor.

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Next question, why are utes so popular with bogans?
    [​IMG]

The El Camino (the same thing as an Ute) was a staple of 70's douchebags in the US but haven't been seen since in the US.

What is the Chav vehicle of choice?

17. Deviuz

Deviuz Member

u avin' a giggle m8?

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This may be the first time I have learned something remotely useful from UrbanDictionary.

Basically this what I get from it:
    1. Douchebag = generic term for an uber jerk
    2. Chav = poser / thug life teenagers
    3. Bogan = Aussie white trash

1. douchebag
    18679 up, 8925 down

Someone who has surpassed the levels of jerk and a****le, however not yet reached ****er or mo********er.

2. Douchebag
    11460 up, 5395 down

An individual who has an over-inflated sense of self worth, compounded by a low level of intellegence, behaving ridiculously in front of colleagues with no sense of how moronic he appears.

1. chav
    28700 up, 5473 down

Picture this a young lad about 12 years of age and 4 ½ feet high baseball cap at ninety degrees in a imitation addidas tracksuit, with trouser legs tucked into his socks (of course, is definitely the height of fashion). This lad is strutting around, *** in one hand jewellery al over the over, outside McDonalds acting as if he is 8 foot tall and built like a rugby player, when some poor unsuspecting adult (about 17/18) walks round the corner wanting to go to mcdonalds for his dinner glances at the young lad, the young lad jumps up in complete disgust and says “Whats your problem? Wanna make sommin of it? Bling Bling” when the adult starts to walk towards the young lad, the young lad pisses himself and runs off to either his pregnant 14-year-old girlfriend or his brother in the army crying his eyes out.

1. bogan
    4593 up, 613 down

A fascinating beast. The majority of the species are hideously repugnant and unintelligent, and yet they manage to breed in ever-increasing numbers and populate an area known as the outer west. It is quite common to find five or six offspring in each family group, often with a different father for each new baby.
    Their habitat consists of a weatherboard or brick-veneer dwelling and is characterised by an early-model Holden or Ford in the driveway surrounded by a group of males discussing why the carby is stuffed and the results of last night's footy (a primitive gladiator-like spectator sport enjoyed by most bogans).
    The female of the species, while smaller in stature, is far more loud and aggressive than the male. While the males tend to be very friendly and congregate with other males, the females spend most of their time in supermarkets and shopping malls, using a shrill high-pitched call to discipline their children and contact other females.
    Males and females rarely interact socially except during breeding season, which is otherwise known as Friday night. During this time, females are allowed to enter the male-dominated area known as "the pub" and display their impressive coloured plumage to a prospective mate.
    Herein lies an intersting phenomenon. Males will often fight over a particularly attractive female and she will mate with only one male, while some less attractive females have been known to have several partners simultaneously.

2. Bogan
    1188 up, 464 down

Australian term used to describe members of society that are a combination of what the Yanks call Rednecks, Jocks and Trailer Park Trash. most likely found wearing mockies, flanalette shirts and consuming VB (bad Aussie beer). Large amount of bogans can be found living in The Borough, Bendigo, Aust.

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Good definitions. Based on the above Chavs and Bogans do sound like a subset of douchebags, at least male ones.