1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Doubters, Please Form a Line To Submit Your Apologies

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonKnock, Feb 3, 2017.

1. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Forward your sorries to me ;)

DonKnock likes this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Well, we are elite with our 2pt field goal efficiency, so that's not going to work.

Honestly, honestly, don't you think if it were possible to do that, there is no way we would have won 70% of our games so far? You see these coaches flipping out on the sidelines against us, you see players fighting, we're playing people who are competing for our #3 seed, we play people better than us... do you really think their defensive coaches and head coaches would say to themselves "I know I can stop their offense TONIGHT by just giving them the 2, but I'm going to do that in the playoffs if we make the playoffs"?

There is only one way to stop us. Take away the 3pter and take away shots at the rim and don't foul James Harden. To take away the inside and the 3pter on a team that can shoot from 25 feet out and gets to the line on average 25 times a game and is running the PnR abusively and is attacking your transition defense even on your MADE field goals, you basically have to have an INSANELY good defensive strategy AND a couple of defenders who are smart and can jump high and can move ultra quick and put up a fight against stronger guys and those guys shouldn't be offensive liabilities otherwise what's the point. There are, at best, a few teams who can do this.

To put that into perspective, we have a tremendous defensive strategy but lack the best players to execute it. When we're rested and healthy and have had practice, we have excellent defensive games, but those are not very common. Ryan Anderson and Trevor Ariza are not going to be Harrison Barnes and Draymond Green. Barnes and Green could take away your 3 and recover to contest the 2, and they could protect the paint and close out in a second. That's what made the Warriors such an excellent defensive team. And that's my mark of an excellent defensive team, being a great defense without dedicating aaaaalllllll your resources to defense such that your offense is just mehh (see Grizzlies, Thibs' Bulls, JVG Rockets). That's why being top 10 defense and top 10 offense is important.

But what we've done is acknowledge that those types of players were not available to us and we're playing to our strengths. You need to be a top 10 defense and offense. Like 5th offense and 9th defense would make you a contender. But we are, again, trying to blaze new trails and make the best of our situation. So we signed Anderson and Gordon and MDA and we're now asking ourselves.... if you can be 5th and 9th... what about being 1st offense and, say, 12th defense? Can you pull an upset like that? So we brought on Bzdelik and his task is this: "Jeff, we HAVE TO be the #1 offense in the league so that's what we are going to shoot for. What is the best possible defense you can achieve given that system and given THESE particular players?"

The results have been stunning. Winning at 70% rate with, by far, the toughest part of the schedule out of the way. We have probably practiced LESS than any other team in the NBA. We have travelled MORE than any other team. We have had fewer rest days than any other team. It's crazy.

I think with the amount of practice and rest coming up, being able to focus on games and apply more of MDA/Bzdelik are preaching, giving coaches opportunity to tweak things that have been problems, and test them out on an easy schedule before ending the season on a tough 5-6 games. I think we are going to be ready for the playoffs. I think MDA is fully aware of how his offense is impacted when teams are more concentrated and more athletic and just better teams. I THINK what will kick in for us come playoff time is we will turn up our defense by a greater proportion than other teams.

Fingers crossed.

#142 Mathloom, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    DonKnock and hakeem94 like this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It's about the game thread. And yeah, there is a big diff between runaway negativity early in games and analyzing / doubting between games. It's like cheering and booing versus arguing later. I can walk away from arguments after the game, but must listen to it during....big dif

I don't like doubting-negativity " sitting" next to me at games. So, I get to make fun of them now, after the game, thx to @DonKnock that's all

#143 heypartner, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    Os Trigonum, DonKnock and hakeem94 like this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

THIS

DonKnock likes this.
  5. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Couldn't have put it better myself!

RocketBlood likes this.
  6. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Some great analysis here Mathloom, been seeing a lot of high quality posts from you recently!

Signing Bzdelik was the one thing that tempered my lowly expectations on the MDA hire initially and gave me some hope. While we aren't defensive stalwarts at every position, I think there are a plethora of glaring mistakes from last year that have been corrected by Coach B.

1. Transition defense
    2. Close outs
    3. Pick and Roll coverage
    Take a look at how we covered the PnR here:

@3:20
    @3:50

vs. here:

@3:05
    @3:25
    @4:55

More switching on the PnR but also some fighting through screens by the on ball defender[@6:15]. The most important change in PnR coverage has been not losing the roller in space while hedging the screen. Bzdelik also seems to have incorporated some icing of screens by Ariza to cause the ball handler to reject the screen going towards the middle of the court.

Many of those hedges -> long recoveries were causing us to be way out of position to cover secondary or tertiary ball rotations.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  7. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

These doubters thought that I lost my way during this extended 3 day break. o_O

I can assure you doubters that this is not the case:p

hakeem94 and ilovehtownbb like this.
  8. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

DOUBTERS START PRAYING TO WHATEVER GOD YOU PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TOO[​IMG]

hakeem94 and Os Trigonum like this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

early in the game, there were some doubters for sure.

10. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

No more Brew means I'm gonna have to raise the threshold for doubters fellas and ladies.:)

Prophet doubter:

Daddy Long Legs and hakeem94 like this.
  11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Line them up

hakeem94 and DonKnock like this.
  12. crispy123

crispy123 Member

Bow doubters!!! Bow!!!

13. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

Love this thread.

Call out the weak minded, emotional, t shirt fans that wanna cut themselves so easily.

Daddy Long Legs, mario_v and DonKnock like this.
  14. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

:D

Harden shooting doubters (Lesser offenders than regular doubters):

#154 DonKnock, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

there you go
    [​IMG]

DonKnock likes this.
  16. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Go to work Officer Don

Line them b****es up

18. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

vtjsr2, RCPM and hakeem94 like this.
  19. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

line them b****es up!!!!

DonKnock and FTW Rockets FTW like this.
  20. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

he's coming for yall.

lock up your daughter, lock up your wife.

DonKnock likes this.