1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Doubling Down on Stupid: Prioritizing Veterans Over the Future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Feb 15, 2022.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

We can lose playing the rookies. Y waste a year of development to play vets?

hakeem94 and vator like this.
  2. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Answer one question Mr. Knowitall….you say Silas is throwing games for a pick. If that’s true why did he start the season 1-16???????????????? Guess the Rockets were throwing games from day one of the season.

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

We are playing rookies. We aren’t wasting a year. Green averages 31 min, Sengun averages 19 min, and Christopher averages 17 min per game. That’s A LOT of minutes for rookie players. Nix and Queen have been getting minutes with the Vipers.

Wall hasn’t played all year and Gordon doesn’t even play about a third of the time because of “injury” issues. Other vets like Theis, House, and Nwaba saw limited minutes before being benched or traded.

To say that the rookies aren’t being developed is inaccurate. Furthermore, it probably helps the rookies development by being on the floor with vets.

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

on the other hand you may get more picks by winning because your players value increases...

if you played alpi big minutes, coached wood a bit, youd be 8th seed now and would get easily 2 frps for wood and ego at the trade dreadline

also if you played garuba he may be worth something, right now hes wortheless and you cant even get a top 55 protected 2nd rounder for him

so all the tanking almost got you nothing... youll get a top pick but you lose numerous FRPs in the process because you devalue your players and cant get nothing for them...

thats not even taking into account how much you devalue your freshly drafted players by withholding PT from them and messing with their development and having a trashy product for the fans...

so all in all nothing can be gained by the tanking as expected cause theres no substitute for winning, if losing were the way everybody would do it and there would be no sports....

aaquaa likes this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

dont get excited too soon, by 2025 many of our young players will be on their way out of the league because their developers sucks at their job, some will be natural busts, some will be injured, some will force their way out zion style or something, others will want out because they dont get along with the others and will want to play with their boys on other teams, and we will be left with the only choice of more tanking....

losing is never the answer, losing only leads to more losing, there is no substitute for winning
    \
    I tell you, that to every one who has will more be given; but from him who has not, even what he has will be taken away.

aaquaa likes this.
  6. Newlin

Newlin Member

Yes, we have been throwing games since the start of the season. I really wouldn’t put the blame on Silas though. I think Tilman and Stone have explained to Silas which players they want to see on the floor. If it were completely up to Silas I think the rotations would definitely be different. If we were trying to win games this season, do you think Wall would be taking the season off?

In the end what is important is the Rockets are gathering and developing young talent. I’m excited about Green and Sengun. But, I’m just as excited about Martin, Christopher, and Nix.

If we add an additional top 5 pick this off-season, the Rockets could be ready to win by this next season.

gfab-babyboi and DaDakota like this.
  7. vator

vator Contributing Member

Coincidence that Gordon and Schroder were out? And we got encouraging minutes from Nix.

daywalker02 and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. vator

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

win what? a championship? lol
    if you mean the playoffs/playin appearance they were ready this year already and the last year.... just with another coach

10. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

TRUST ME EVERYONE ON THIS SITE: Chet Holmgren will be an absolutely awful NBA player. Reminds me of a skinnier Hasheem Thabeet. We are wasting time losing if it’s anyone other than Ivey or Smith. No way this team touches Ivey due to its ridiculous love affair with KPJ, so figure we are doing all this for a toothpick with not enough NBA level athletisism.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. Newlin

Newlin Member

What I’m talking about is with another top five five pick Tilman and Stone may be ready to actually want to win instead of tanking. Stone would actually try to put together a balanced team, maybe we would actually play Wall. We clearly have been in tank mode the last two years, maybe we are approaching a point where we want to try to win.

It’s too easy to just blame the coach when Tilman and Stone clearly want to tank.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I was skeptical about the Schroder move but he's barely taken time away from anybody - the Rockets roster is incredibly thin.

I've been saying all year there's eventually enough minutes for everybody and pretty much seems that way - even without the epic fail of holding on to Gordon for too long becuase in Stone's view, a 2022 draft pick is somehow...not fungible?

I honestly would not mind letting john wall play some games down the stretch to enhance his trade value a bit.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  13. TimDuncanDonaut

The playing of the vets is somewhat predicable. Silas sit the vets out: Wood, Gordon, (and maybe Schroder) on back to backs.

14. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Isn’t it John Wall who doesn’t want to play? The Rockets would have allowed him to play all year, he just didn’t like the role that was offered. At least, that was my understanding.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The inner mechanics of things are complexer than that.
    Degrading oneself to be a bench player on a bad team usually will affect his next contract.

He is not a bench player by default.

Right now I view him as a 40 game starter and occasional bench player.

Lakers easily make him a starter over Westbrook.

16. Bo6

Bo6 Member

surely they will shut down gordon soon..... right?

17. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I get what you are saying, but I think he got bad advice if he thinks sitting out this year (and likely next year) improved his contract negotiating leverage.

I would also bet that if he had been playing off the bench this year and demonstrated his abilities in a bench role, that Lakers trade might have happened. Just my gut feeling.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This could have been resolved another way IMO.

Rockets started Theis and they did start Schroeder.

I have a hard time believing that starting Wall a couple games will change something, maybe they are afraid that they would win too many games.

Once the news hit us, this got extremely sus, ngl. You do not have to label a player, you could start and use him off the bench at the same time.

There has to be something else, like Stone does not like Wall. Not going to speculate further but would not surprise me.

theDude likes this.
  19. vator

This is all I ever wanted. Sengun. Green. Christopher. KPJ. This is why Gordon and Wood needed to go. They deprived us of this. We still blocking young Nix, but I won’t complain too loud tonight. Not tonight.

[​IMG]

#139 vator, Mar 9, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    Roomba likes this.
  20. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

More youth=more fun.

Today was fun!

Can we just start Sengun for the next couple of games, please?

vator likes this.