1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Doubling Down on Stupid: Prioritizing Veterans Over the Future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Feb 15, 2022.

1. vator

vator Contributing Member

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

1. perhaps these 2 are too good so they interfere with the proper tank

2. or silas is being paid by the vets and/or their agents under the table a % of their future deal or simply doing a favor to his/fathers agents friends

3. the org is renting PT to players agencies in return for sending good players their way in the future or the org returning the favor to agents who previously done them good...

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sengun and KJ were Rockets best players last night.

Meanwhile the starting 5 were absolutely putrid.

Especially Schroder.

Jalen Green has returned to being shyte from 3 the last 2 games as well.

Just bench Wood and EGo for remainder of season for Pete's sake.

#103 D-rock, Mar 2, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
    vator likes this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. Damion Laverne

Blow up this roster.

Too many guards.

Not enough wing players

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have to believe that the Rockets are trying to boost the value of Wood & Gordon as otherwise it makes no sense to play them so much.

Corpusfan likes this.
  7. Newlin

Newlin Member

Why can’t people understand that we are trying to lose? The combination of players getting minutes is resulting in losses. Everything is going to plan.

We can start complaining about rotations and minutes when Tilman and Stone decide it’s time to start winning. Maybe next season.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I wonder how Gordon feels playing for this Rockets team. It must be tough after years of playoffs Rockets, contending Rockets. We should have moved Eric at the deadline to a playoff team for his sanity. We should have moved Wood for our own. Boosting their value? How about concentrating on developing our young players to boost their value for the team going forward?

I don't know what Silas and Stone are trying to do. Lose games? Lose the games with the youngsters, our four 1st round picks, along with the young talent we have, and if we win from time to time with them, that fine with me. Play Wood if you must, but if he won't play defense at his position, sit his butt on the pine. Watching this schizophrenic disjointed lunacy is driving me round the bend.

Richie_Rich and AroundTheWorld like this.
  9. StevieCrossover

Vets are trying to get paid too! Gordon and Wood are going to be a free agent in a few so it would be dumb to tank your stock as a player and dumb for Rockets to not be somewhat competitive. In the Rockets case you can play rookies who do not deserve playing time but on another team, rookies will need to earn it.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Apparently Gordon is happy to stay here and doesn't really want to leave (those are his words).

I don't know the strategy either. Sadly, it seems that Silas is actually trying to win games which is what he is suppose to do.

I don't know if Stone is hamstringing him, or if the players are just not that great because they are so young, or if Silas believes that big improvements don't come during the season anyway.

At the same time, the Rockets have been bad for 2 years - less than 2 years in fact. So we need a bit of patience, we're so freaking spoiled that our team has gone to the playoffs like 95% of the time since the mid-80's. We're play 3 19-20 year old rookies, a reclamation project in KP3, and a bunch of other really young guys who weren't even drafted in the 1st round. To that you are adding Gordon who is a great veteran role player, and Wood - a guy who has never been part of a winning team and who himself was not a 1st round pick.

When you consider that, I think...hmmm, ok, yeah, we should suck really really badly.

Like I said, I think Silas wants to win so he plays those two a lot, and I think Stone wants to showcase them to trade them, so he doesn't mind it.

But I am enjoying watching Green develop, and I do enjoy seeing Sengun the few minutes on the court he is there.

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They boosted nothing after the ASG break, those 2 look borderline horrendous.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think Silas is trying to win for 2 quarters, then he sabotages himself, he is thinking about tanking, and his team either chokes or catches up enough to run itself out of gas.

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

16. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

This is the only explanation that makes sense. However, it would be nice if someone in the sports media would ask Silas point blank why he continues giving vets so many minutes at the expense of developing the young guys when they're losing either way, and see what he has to say.

17. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

What value is there? We lost 12 games in a row...

18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

We all just have to be patient and hope this is the last season of intentional losing / playing bad combinations .

we might still have shitty lineups next year , but hopefully that’s because they are inexperienced and not that we are purposely playing combos that don’t work

we’ve been invested all-in on green , kpj , and wood . Ignoring our 3 other first founders and everyone else .

I’m glad we are keeping games a bit more competitive as of late , but whatever .

we have 15 ****ing wins .

blatant tank job

the bar next year should be 30 or heads should roll .

19. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

WELL BRACE YOURSELVES CAUSES ITS GONNA GET WORSE before it gets better!

We are two more “tanks” away from getting better better by default of young guys games improving in the offseason.

We will hopefully buyout or trade the Wall albatross and it will just be time to get rid of Schroeder and Ego maybe as early as next year.

BUT AGAIN won’t be exciting to watch until 2025! JEZZUS that makes me sad!

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. a time to chill

C Wood, "I can do things a point guard can do. This is positionless basketball."

hakeem94 likes this.