1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Doubling Down on Stupid: Prioritizing Veterans Over the Future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Feb 15, 2022.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't mind playing those guys as spot-up shooters to help create space for the young guns, but most of the time they don't play that way - Wood does his Point Center routine, Gordon is bull drive & long covered 3's, Schroder's valuable expiring contractness - those are valuable skills but not for whatever it is the Rockets are doing now.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Unless they are REALLY trying to tank.

DD

3. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Apparently the idea was for Schroeder and Gordon to have the ball.

“We play a five-out system, so you need multiple perimeter players on the court, and multiple ballhandlers,” Stone said. “One of the things that is hard about playing four or five young guys at the same time is that making reads as a young player in the NBA is difficult.”

SamFisher likes this.
  4. SamFisher

[
    It's actually much worse than that - Spanoulis was levels below Green,and Rafer Alston. I mean, you might not like Green's 30% 3 point shooting. VSpan hit at a career 17% clip. He got destroyed on defense by Kyle Korver - OFF THE DRIBBLE!

His lack of NBA-level athleticism and shooting seemed clear from day 1 in preseason, games, and even practice! (don[t make me dig up the practice stats thread).

And still you were ready to hand out playing time to him like it was delicious baklava - despite his obvious flaws - not on a tanking on a 50 win team that had deep playoff ambitions (but were undone by Booze and getting outquicked by...Mehmet Okur?)

It is rich, very rich indeed to see this transition.

RudyTBag and fryjol7 like this.
  5. SamFisher

5-pout system - everybody does their own thing and then complains.

Aruba77, apollo33, vator and 3 others like this.
  6. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

LOL at someone defending that rotation and using performance as an excuse. What was the improvement?

apollo33, vator and Nook like this.
  7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Some very green posts about what a rebuild actually entails.

vator and Nook like this.
  8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I hope that draft a white guy for you to cheer for in the draft this season with the Nets pick so you can calm down a bit there fella. How about Nikola Jovic?? He may be available around 16-21.

9. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

Can someone vouch for this? 2030 would be the 8th year of rebuild. If true, he MUST've misspoke

Invisible Fan and fryjol7 like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lmao, I think even DD would know that his white guy infatuation has ended.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

There's a difference between making one post about it and posting about it thousands of times daily. Just saying.

We obviously don't know what the coaches are seeing/thinking. In this case we really don't know. Is this pressure from Tilman? His track record would suggest unlimited meddling and prioritizing short-term over long-term. Are the coaches who have 90+ years of professional basketball experience between them just that incompetent? It's possible.

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

he got quite irritated last time i said this. i hope for his sake he gets his very own Luka on the Rockets one day.

I'm really just joking around. Message boards are serious business.

[​IMG]

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you are as clueless as silas

i thought it was stamina sengun was lacking, or the foul problem, now its the athleticism and the 3 ball?
    [​IMG]

remember when cp3 beat lebron in the playoffs with one hand not even shooting 3 pointers?

aaquaa likes this.
  14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

If you let a blind guy throw a darts at the draft board he could build a team in 8 years lmao.

aaquaa and wlekfjv923n like this.
  15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I think the argument is that if you play only the youngsters and they not only get beat but on the average they lose by say 35 points with 30 turnovers etc. that will hurt their confidence and development even more. However, Schroeder?

16. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Absolutely. Sengun will not be a successful starter, much less a star until he develops a three pointer.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I think KPJ is better than Green and they are the same type of player.

Pretty easy really.

Yeah, small mindedness strikes again, nothing to do with skin tone - simply about basketball - KPJ is better than Green, and there is only one spot for a ball dominant scorer....but you do your racist self....

DD

18. a time to chill

Stone really missed his shot at getting a first-round pick for Eric Gordon. He's really declined since the beginning of the year. Stone should've traded him in December. The only veteran that should be starting now is Wood - even though he should've also been traded.

The starting lineup should be KPJ, Green, Tate, Mathews, and Wood. The second unit should be Christopher, Gordon, Schroder, KJ Martin, and Sengun. Fernando and Nwaba should not be getting any playing time unless someone needs rest or is injured.

aaquaa likes this.
  19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

we are losing by big margins with lots of turnovers…even playing the vets. We are very far away. I can live with playing EG 20-25 minutes as we decided to keep him and Stone says he’s great for our youth development, but playing more vets significant minutes, at the expense of guys like Christopher, is ridiculous.

vator and a time to chill like this.
  20. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I mean nobody says play only young guys. But make a real effort to include them in their offense. Give Green 10 PnRs a game, give Sengun 5 postups and 5 times the ball at the high post to initiate the offense… basically help them succeed at what they are already good as and get used to NBA speed and cut down on isos and stupid shots on offense by veterans.

subtomic, Dobbizzle, fattz and 5 others like this.