1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dota 2 TI5 Pubstomp in Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KiLLiN, Jul 22, 2015.

1. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

Hey everyone,

For anyone who follows eSports or play Dota 2, we're hosting a pubstomp/viewing party for the TI5 Grand Finals on August 8th at the Phoenix on Westheimer. This is the second year we are hosting an event for The International, with last year being standing room only with well over 100 gamers, raffles, Dota themed drink specials, and great food.

If you want more details just click here

Hopefully we get some clutchfans to come out :) Rockets + Dota = life!

2. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

I know of Dota 2, but I don't understand what a pub stomp party is. Do you get together at a internet cafe to play as a team and stomp pubs?

I think the most annoying thing about playing with a 3-4 man stack is that no one in the stack will admit they're bad or blame each other. They'll always accuse the people that aren't in the stack for not performing well enough for the team to win, even when they have the most kills/assists.

3. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

A pubstomp is essentially a viewing party where gamers get together to watch the biggest tournaments at a local venue like a bar, theatre, etc. (much like how the Rockets have a viewing party at local bars in Houston for each game).

This specific pubstomp is for the biggest tournament of the year for Dota 2, The International 5, which is also hosting the largest prize pool in competitive gaming history (currently sitting at $17 million).

Hope this helps :D

4. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Oh, usually pub stomp references to when a group of people team up to play against people who aren't on a team. Which gives the team a false sense of superiority because many of them have never played with each other before.

I watched a a few matches of the international last year and thought they were horrible. I've played in pub games that were a lot more fun and competitive. I've had matches last over 90 minutes before, which is pretty crazy.

The most disappointing thing about these competitive matches is that one team will give up very early, like in 15-25 minutes. Instead of giving up, they should continue to play, because one late team fight victory could completely turn around the game.

#4 chow_yun_fat, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  5. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

I wouldn't take your experience with what you saw last year to what you will see this year. All of the major tournaments this year had amazing games especially towards the final rounds, I doubt TI5 will be different! The average length of these games would be ~40-50 minutes with the drafts.