1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donuts joins his national team training camp!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Normalus, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not really. DMo was out of the rotation by playoff time. Patterson actually got playoff minutes.

Also, if DMo had been a restricted FA like Patterson was this summer, do the Rockets or any team pay him $6m/yr for 3 years like the Raptors did with Patterson?

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well that's not really saying anything, but I guess it's a reason to be thankful.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I was pleasantly surprised with that. It would be really cool if he can do that in the NBA.

4. Carl Herrera

Like this?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/P_2UpQwANfE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

earlier this summer

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/WmyveHG71qA?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/WmyveHG71qA?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/mCnVKy-caYM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/mCnVKy-caYM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

As far as the second part of your post goes...

Let's not ignore the facts. Talented 7 footers with potential (and by that I mean can walk and chew gum at the same time) more often than not get paid at least that much, if not more. I'm not into crazy hypotheticals so I'm not going to address that scenario you came up with. But, history has strong evidence proving what I said to be true.

Darko got paid $7mil per by the Grizzlies in 07 after he had already established himself as a complete bust.

Bynum got paid $24mil by the Cavs after destroying his body and gaining a reputation as a certified head case.

Andris Biedrins got paid $9 mil per by the Warriors.

The list goes on and on.

7. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

All those guys had better careers before they signed those contacts than Dmo has.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Dmo is barely an NBA player

9. Carl Herrera

The difference is all these guys were, or at least were projected to be, rim protectors. NBA teams pay a premium for rim protection because it makes a big difference.

Motiejunas might be nominally a "7-footer" but he isn't a rim protector-- he averages 0.7 shots blocked per 36 minutes and has short arms. He isn't much of a force with rebounds and fouls way too often.

So, why pay a "7 footer premium" for a guy who doesn't do the things that you pay 7 footers a lot of money for doing?

Here's a recent Zach Lowe article discussing the market for NBA big men: http://grantland.com/features/the-nbas-bigs-problem/ One point that Lowe makes is that teams are willing to pay for rim protection and for shooting when it comes to bigs. Those who offer neither, with some exceptions, are often stuck in a market limbo nowadays.

Right now, Motiejunas doesn't look like a rim protector and hasn't proven himself as a shooter. So, his market value is likely not that high.

10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When the Rockets got DMo, he was obviously a project....Again I always thought he was boom or bust. Well, it's on. Donuts has reached the point, now, where folks are going to be shocked at the player he becomes....and he's going to do it as a Rocket. This year, he'll need some help manning the four and backing up Dwight. But this kid is well on his way to becoming the equivalent of a top 5 or 6 pick. Inside/out game and MUCH better D ...Think about those post up skills combined with 38-39% from Downtown...w/the court speed of Bigfoot. We need our PG which will cost Jones, but DMo is the answer longterm at the 4. From targeting to developing him....fabulous from Daryl on through our famous big man school...Headmaster, we know who you are...GREAT JOB!!!

It might not seem like it now, but not getting Bosh was a blessing in disguise.

1 person likes this.
  11. zyt

zyt Member

good joke

12. ling ling

ling ling Member

Were you not entertained?
    [​IMG]

13. theprof

theprof Member

^^^^this. why does everyone call a player a bust if they're not an All-Star the minute they step on the court. Hakeem didn't win it all for 10 years. DMo is a fast 7 footer with outside range, and now he has some bulk. Hope he can block shots off the weak-side. If he adds d to his shooting game, look out.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The problem with D-mo was that he was light in the britches and he played too fast. I think he will be pretty good this season as long as DD doesn't ride his jock too hard.

15. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I was just messing with you. I do feel DMo is a better player than PPat and has a lot more upside, but he still has a lot to prove in the NBA. Hopefully he will get his chance this year.

16. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

I don't have too much faith in Donuts. I think Patterson will be the better player. If he doesn't make the playoff rotation this season then we just need to give up on him. It shouldn't take that long.

17. Carl Herrera

DMo still has some upside. We'll see how things work out with him.

Patterson may not have some of DMo's skills, but Patterson is a more useful player right now. This team, in particular, could have used a big whose shot actually needs to be defended from 15-feet out.

DMo has really nice post moves, and this is probably his best attribute. But does he get to use these post moves that often for this team? Not really with Harden and Howard around.

18. clos4life

clos4life Member

People forget he is only 23 and he is heading into his 3rd NBA year. Dude has potential.

19. Carl Herrera

I've never seen so many Caucasians on one basketball team.

20. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I don't think people actually do forget that. How could they, as often as it is trotted out as an excuse?