1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donte Greene...Eddie Griffin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownbball, Jun 27, 2008.

1. htownbball

htownbball Member

Anyone think they look alike?

As far as their games go...both like to shoot the 3 and theyve got similar size and athleticism. Griffin was more of a 3/4 while Greene is a pure wing player (for right now at least). Both have that laid back demeanor and have a reputation of not being the hardest worker. Hopefully Donte can keep his head on straight and work hard to become the player that Eddie was supposed to be. It's a shame Eddie had so many personal problems, many of which were no fault of his own (depression/anxiety and teenage alcoholism). RIP Eddie Griffin.

Can anyone post a side by side picture comparing the two?

2. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

Greene doesnt wack off while driving and watching p*rn in his car...and end up crashing into a tree.

I know Eddie was versatile but doing 3 things while driving is some talent..

on a serious note...what happened to Eddie Griffin and how his career turned out shouldn't reflect how Greene will turn out.

Another plus is that we traded 2 role players and 1 all-star for Griffin and for now we traded a guy with potential for another guy with potential and NBA's ray lewis. So we got the better end this time.......hopefully!

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

if he takes 33 then we have a problem....

4. htownbball

htownbball Member

you shouldnt speak ill of the dead.

I know Eddie's career/life shouldnt reflect on Greene, I was just comparing the two as far as facial structure/features and their games while hoping that Donte wouldn't turn out like Eddie.

5. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Don't bring up bad thoughts like that.

6. studogg

studogg Member

Griffin always looked stiff to me and never had any fluidity that I could discern. Greene looks to be very athletic and appears to have better handles.

Maybe its the rose colored glasses that i've got on, but Greene looks like an upgraded Griffin.

7. Shaud

Shaud Member

I don't see how you could compare them at all other then they were drafted by the Rockets after that the comparisons end.

Eddie was a PF

Green will be a SF.

8. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Agreed.

9. htownbball

htownbball Member

While Eddie was a PF, his game was more of a SF game. He wasnt a banger down low and he didnt have much of a post game. On offense he had more of a SF game while on defense he had a PF game as a post defender and shot blocker. That's why I said he was a 3/4 in the original post.

10. studogg

studogg Member

Both went to syracuse. both were heavily recruited out of high school. both were 19 when drafted. both were coveted by the rockets. both were 3-4's with range. both were 6'10".

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

the biggest difference between greene and griffin -- regardless of the way they look or descriptions of their demeanor or anything to that effect is very simple:

eddie griffin cost us 3 first round picks that became:
    a scrub, a starting center, and a borderline all-star.

greene at worst, costs us:
    1 late first round pick that we traded, which could be someone good, but most likely won't.

so any further discussion of any similarities between the two is pointless, let's see how he plays in the nbdl...or if he actually makes our roster.

12. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Eddie went to Seton Hall.

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

...griffin went to seton hall. greene is 6'9. griffin was closer to 6'11.

14. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Member

Eddie went to Seton Hall.

Donte is 20 years old.

15. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Man, Eddie could've been so freaking good. :(

I remember the chants from his rookie year when he'd get in the game...

"EDDIE! EDDIE! EDDIE!"

16. Shaud

Shaud Member

Well comparing them in College I would say Eddie was more of the star player so he did more on the offensive side and would even get you some baskets down low. Greene was more of a chucker even if he was cold and he wasn't even the best freshman on that team.

17. studogg

studogg Member

i wish someone would have pointed out that eg went to seton hall

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

Half of the stuff you named were wrong and the one thing that was right doesn't really factor into this thread.

19. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Member

Donte's height is still debatable. He came in from high school listed at 6'9''. The Orange listed him at 6'11''. This years draft had him at 6'10''. Either way, he's just over 240 lbs of muscle, which is much more important in the long run for a small forward like him.

He took a ton of 3's, but Donte actually has a nice mid-range/post-up game. He will be a matchup nightmare against 2nd/3rd string units because of his size and athleticism. Very streaky shooter who will definitely get better looking and easier shots playing with Yao and Tracy. Rafer's penetration will certainly help too. Donte likes penetrating point guards. His best friend in school was Jonny Flynn, who has a chance to make a great backup NBA point guard.

20. htownbball

htownbball Member

Eddie was 6'10 1/4 in shoes. Donte is 6'9 even in shoes.