1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dontatas (D-Mo) Motiejunas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by csc177, Jul 11, 2013.

1. csc177

csc177 Member

I enjoy looking back and testing the accuracy of NBA Draft scouting reports after a particular player been in the league for a few years.

Since one of the unknowns for this upcoming season is the starting PF position, I wanted to get everyone's take on D-Mo. Take a look at his NBA Draft Profile (below).

Do we have a hidden gem and not even know it? The NBA comparisons are pretty interesting. "Dirk" was thrown into the fire when he first started out, so his progress came along much faster in terms of adjusting to the NBA competition.

Does D-Mo have a shot at living up to the Dirk ceiling?

Honestly, I think so (if Morey is patient and Mchale gives him the opportunity) We may have our Stretch 4 already on our team.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/donatas-motiejunas

(Excerpt below)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    NBA Comparison: Andreis Bargnani/Dirk Nowitzki

Strengths: Legit seven footer … Lefty with excellent offensive potential ... Loves to face the basket from the perimeter. Can score from inside and outside … Has added weight to his frame in the past year, making him more effective in the low post … Good ball handling ability for a big man … Quick first step allows him to get by opponents ... Very confident player … Good at timing his jumps to contest shots … Runs the floor well, especially for a seven-footer … Can be a mismatch nightmare for opposing teams … One of the most skilled players in the draft … Very solid athletically … Can shoot the three … Capable of creating his own offense … Polished footwork … Skilled at passing out of the post … Can eat defenses up with the pick and roll/ pick and pop … Can use both hands well ...

Weaknesses: Being a 20 year old European and lacking strength means he will need time to adjust to the NBA game … Has some prima donna to him. He's talented and he knows it and often gets criticized for not being tough or showing enough passion for the game ... Poor rebounder for a big man. At times it appears he's averse to doing the "dirty work" … Defense could use a lot of work, at times looks uninterested in defending … Can be punished in the post … Streaky shooter … Needs to gain maturity, discipline, focus ... Lacks the strength of other post players … Poor anticipation skills leads to defensive lapses and missed rebounding opportunities … Not a very good free throw shooter, which is surprising considering his touch ...

2. rocketseagles07

no and I think it's a dumb comparison. Dirk can do everything on the court offensively and when he's on he's almost impossible to stop due to his ballhandling ability, height and the way he shoots. In addition, D-mo can't really even stay on the court for long periods of time right now because his defense is terrible. Not ok, not bad, TERRIBLE. I could see him becoming a solid big man(especially offensively) but the only reason he gets compared to dirk is because he's tall, foreign and can shoot

3. rocketfaithful

As Long as he doesn't turn into a Dirk attitude. I can't stand Dirk and all of his stupid calls and stupid facial impression.

4. hltiki

hltiki Member

I STILL BELIEVE, DMO!!!!

He may not shoot as well as Dirk, and I doubt he, or 90% of all NBA players, ever will, but god damnit this kid has some sick post moves. He's versatile, he can shoot, he pound the paint, has good footwork, etc..

Yes, he needs to bulk up, get stronger, and gain more experience, but I believe he is the 4 that Houston is looking for.

Again, I STILL BELIEVE DMO! I STILL BELIEVE!!

5. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

He can shoot? hehe

6. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Guess we will see. Dirk actually did worse his rookie season. His second yr is when the big jump came, so holding my breath for DMo this upcoming yr!

7. hltiki

hltiki Member

he's a 7 footer, runs and strectches the floor, and will play alongside Dwight better than Asik!!

8. hltiki

hltiki Member

sporadically

but that is part of experience and playing time in the league

1 person likes this.
  9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

People forget how much Dirk sucked his rookie season (shot 20% from 3, highest TO%, Lowest Ast% of his career, 6 reb per 36) Dallas sucked so he got to play.

I'm not saying D-Mo will be dirk, but everybody who is simply writing him off after a bad rookie campaign is jumping the gun

10. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Big men like DMO often are late bloomers as they grow into their frame and have time to work on their flaws. DMO seems to be a hard worker. I still have high hopes for him.

11. j3i

j3i Member

I hope he has an explosive year. Then we can dub him: Dmolition Man.

12. WAYFARER713

WAYFARER713 Member

He has great hands for a big.Shoots the ball well on the outside.Has a few crafty left hand post moves.If he can get some size on him.No doubt in my mind he'll be a 20-10 guy.Rockets need to work on this guy..

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Dirk, at 22 years old, averaged 22 ppg, 9 rpg, 1 bpg, 2 apg, 1 spg on 47.4% FG and 38.7% from three.

D-Mo, at 22 years old, averaged... not that.

14. rocketseagles07

true....

15. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

I love the enthusiasm about DMo and many think he could turn into a very good PF but...
    How many times have we heard does player "xyz" live up to the ceiling of <insert extremely rare legendary player>?
    Seriously, the odds are laughably low for any player to become the likes of Dirk, Kobe, Lebron, Olajuwon, Shaq, Magic Johnson etc..
    This almost ranks up there with this team is fail unless we trade for <insert ridiculously unattainable superstar>

16. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DMo's got great agility. His feet move very well for a 7 footer. He, out of all the PF's we drafted if the one I'm hoping will develop into our third star. I love his game and cocky attitude fit H&H the most.

17. finsraider

finsraider Member

His help defense improved significantly towards the end of the season. I don't ever think he will be a lock down one-on-one defender, but he doesn't need to be with Dwight on the court.

He's got to get that jumper to be more consistent. It looks fine coming out of his hand, so he just needs reps.

18. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Wow, I have doubt he will even beat out TJones.

19. CertifiedTroll

Its unfair to DMo to compare him to Dirk.. Lets hope DMo just fills into the potential that we have seen flashes of.

20. hoopstar39

hoopstar39 Member

Its not about age for foreign players, its about NBA experience and Dmo has only one year under his belt.