1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dont get Why People Hate Tracy Mcgrady Now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roadmatter, May 16, 2012.

1. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

It's as simple as a guy who desperately wanted to play missing a dunk? McGrady wasn't good enough to play at that point, Adelman knew that, McGrady, as any player would, wanted to play. Especially since they had grabbed Ron Artest. How can you hate on a guy because his body gave up on him? Where is all the evidence to support the claim that McGrady gave up on his team?

People don't just make up injuries when they have the talent to go far into the playoffs. You actually believe McGrady sabotaged the best chance he had to get out of the first round? For what?

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rockets fans will never boo Yao Ming.

And the Greatest Rocket fan would never write this article below:

http://www.clutchfans.net/news/1545/the_day_t-mac_lost_houston/
    By now it was evident. This wasn’t an injury. This was showing apathy. This was pouting. This was quitting.

McGrady confessed after the game he was a "little frustrated", but his source wasn’t an injury -- "It's kind of hard to get in the groove when you're only touching the ball once every five minutes," said McGrady.

And there you go. The effort qualified as both the straw that broke the camel's back for many Houston fans and the smoking gun for his critics.

From there, McGrady and the team went in opposite directions.

T-Mac took two weeks off to get in shape, proclaimed that he was now back to his normal self, then two weeks later announced on his own through ESPN, without so much as a Post-It note to the Rockets organization, that he was shutting it down to undergo microfracture surgery. When McGrady did show up at the arena, he was booed regularly by the Houston faithful.

Meanwhile, the team won 22 of their final 30 games, broke the first round playoff curse, pushed the eventual champions to 7 games and endeared themselves to the city by establishing an identity as a fearless, hard-working squad that never surrenders.

Now, just 6 months later, this same franchise is supposed to trumpet the return of the anti-Cal Ripken, the embodiment of apathy, excess and entitlement, as their offensive leader -- a forced marriage that now seems a painfully awkward fit.

This shouldn't be about hate, love, payback, insurance or rehab. It's also not about his talent, which isn't in question. It's about being confronted with the reality of what last season confirmed. It's about having a clear knowledge now that McGrady is not a guy you can count on. We know this now – we’ve put it to the test.

I've been a diehard Rockets fan for as long as I can remember, and I've often said I would EBay my soul for a few extra 'W's. As fate would have it, that's exactly what it would feel like I'd be doing by welcoming back McGrady with open arms and pretending the Toronto game just never happened.

1 person likes this.
  3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Man, T-Mac sure wanted to play that night in Toronto.

4. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Yao Ming was still on the roster, you just took my quote out of context, because I said both Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming.

How many times have we been on TNT, since Yao Ming left.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All the time. Kenny always represents Clutch city!

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

At least we agree on Yao.... the big fella
    One good advice... I know you heard it before....try not to correct anyone when the first word of a thread is titled Mcgrady... it is going to be a never ending story

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yao respected McGrady so I think it aint no sin to do the same and remember the good times.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

McGrady didn't treat fans very cordially, is not approachable, and skips out on autographs / saying hello, etc. In person he does give off an air of being self-absorbed.

Then there's the fact that he always lets his mouth talk quite candidly before considering the repercussions on his own team and teammates.

And this is coming from a TMac "defender".