1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Don't blame Mack Brown

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by The Cat, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Has hell frozen over?!?! Do my eyes decieve me or is The Cat admitting Simms sucked? :) But alas, he throws in "a pitcher having a bad day " and "the refs were ridiculous " and all is back to normal. The Cat, even when you're wrong, you try to twist it some way to make it sound like it was just unfortunate circumstances. :)

Our bet is still on, right? Spurs worse than last year = you give me $20 in Rocks tix.

2. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

TC--

I wasn't down there for long, but it was insane while I was down there. it was literally the kind of celebration you'd usually see after a game going on before the game.

from where our seats were, we could kind of look up at the tvs in the luxury boxes. the people in those were going nuts and yelling out to the rest of us the whole time.

the whole night was just extraordinary.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yeah, the bet is still on...

I didn't say the refs were ridiculous. I didn't even say it was a bad call. I just think it's a bad rule, and most people agree. And I still am not convinced that Simms can't lead us to a national championship-- while this is very discouraging, let's not forget that he had a good season. Players throughout sports history have had monumental collapses in major moments, and some have come back. Chris Simms completely sucked last night, but it's not time to give up on his career. Not yet, anyway.

4. Timing

Timing Member

You have just extrapilated a 7-0 lead into a 21-0 lead and a rout. Very nicely done. LMAO Too bad for you that Texas actually had to PLAY the game instead of calling the game after half a quarter. The UT defense got MANHANDLED when it mattered and your golden boy got outed as a fraud. I can play your ifs and buts all day too. If Major doesn't play, Texas loses by 40. If Barnett doesn't call that horrible fake punt play the game isn't even close at the end. As I mentioned before, Texas was the straw house waiting for the big bad wolf and he showed up yesterday.

5. The Cat

Umm, all I said is that we were about to go up 14-0. One more score after that, and the rout would've been on. Please tell me what's wrong with that statement.

The UT defense only gave up 337 yards to a team who rushed for about that many against Nebraska. Giving up 337 total yards to a top 10 team is a tremendous job in college football. Colorado's starting field position on some of those TD drives was our 12, our 22, and our 45. I don't know if the Baltimore Ravens could keep Colorado out of the end zone if the offense (Simms) gave them that kind of field position.

Also, a couple more things: Simms is a fraud after one game? And how do you know Texas wouldn't have marched right down the field even had Barnett not called the fake punt? We had momentum. Also, if you could please tell me how Texas as a team resembled a straw house, I'd love to hear it. The team played pretty damn great outside of Simms, as a whole. However, there's not much you can do when your own quarterback gives the opposing team 26 points. It doesn't matter what team you are.

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Fraud = false pose, impostor

Does that not describe Simms?

Since OU: 16 td's, 2 int's
    Vs. Top 10: 0 td's, 11 int's

So who is the real Chris Simms?

Man I hope we get Vincent Young.

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Okay, I know that I have been harsh on Mack Brown in another one of these Texas threads, but I was upset last night and disappointed that Texas couldn't win this game.

After thinking about this, I still feel that Mack Brown is a big reason why Texas has not been able to take that next step. Although the article in which Major (can't get used to saying that or typing it) posted was harsh, I would agree with most of it.

It is true that players have to make plays, but it is also true, IMO, that it's the coach's job to be able to win games like this. It's not fair, sometimes, but the old saying "that when a team wins, it's because of the players, but when a team loses, it's the coach's fault," (or something like that) applies in this case.

4chuckie said it best (his post might be in this thread...I lost track) when he compared Mack Brown to John Cooper. Cooper always had a great record, but he never could win the big game. I think that Mack Brown has proven this. After all, he was in a perfect position to take his team to the national championship game...all they had to do was beat a team that they had already beaten 41-7. Maybe Texas was overconfident...I don't know, but I never would have guessed that they would give up 39 points to Colorado.

This whole thing about "it's not Mack's fault, it's Simms fault" reminds me of the Miami teams of 1985 and 1986. These 2 Miami teams went a combined 21-3 but 0 national championships. You want to know why? Vinny Testaverde...dude absolutely sucked when it came to playing in a big-time game. Yea, he beat Oklahoma twice in the regular season, but both times that he played the bowl game, he was pathetic. A part of me started to wonder if this was Jimmy Johnson's fault or was it all Testaverde or a little of both. However, in '87, Steve Walsh stepped in and led Miami to a 12-0 record and the NC. Walsh wasn't physically gifted like Testaverde (sorta reminds me of Major where Vinny reminds me of Simms), but he made great decisions and was a smart QB .

So, let's see what will happen when Simms leaves Texas. Considering how well Mack Brown recruits, the Horns should still have the talent to contend for the NC. Will Mack prove like Jimmy Johnson that it was indeed the QB or will he prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that he can't win the big game no matter who the QB is.

So, The Cat, Major, chievous, etc. I will hold off on the Mack Brown bashing until I see this scenario play out. Then depending on how it goes, then I will either continue to doubt Mack or I will admit that I was wrong. However, don't be surprised to see me not have any confidence in Texas winning a big game in the meantime - big game being one with National Championship implications and not a bowl game or rivalry game.

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Cat-I apologize for not gushing over Simms' abilities against the KU's and Baylor's of the Big 12.

The next time Simms plays well in a big game, it will be his first.

He is a bust. The #1 recruit in his class, shouldn't be the guy who is the sole reason for collapses in big games.

Simms came in with hype out the wazzoo. What he does against Baylor sure as hell doesn't impress me. Nor, should it impress you.

I will say that UT had CU on the ropes, before Simms' 1st INT. I recall thinking the game is over right before hte INT. UT was going to score a TD and then Simms was up to his old tricks.

It is obvious that Simms has some mental block when the pressure is on. Both, pocket pressure, and pressure to perform in big games.

The guy absolutely wilts like a flower.

If you want to see a QB with poise, Eli Manning is your guy.

9. The Cat

I guess A&M and Oregon last year weren't big games, then? Anyway, what big games has Manning won? I've seen some of the greatest players do poorly in big games... it doesn't mean they can't recover from it.

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

A&M is not a big game, it's only a rivalry game. A&M had no chance in beating UT that year, whether you put Simms at QB, or Elmer Fudd.

As for Oregon, again, I wasn't really that impressed by Simms. It was a good game, I guess, but the fact that the Oregon game is his "best" big game, is really sad.

I think the main problem with him lies, with the fact that I don't think his teammates really thing he should be QB.

I really think the WR's "click" much better with Applewhite, because they feel he is the real QB for them.

Mack seemed to have made the decision himself, rather than asking what the team had wanted.

Obviously, I'm just speculating, but in just about all QB controversies, teams are always divided on who the man should be at QB.

If a whole team doesn't believe in a QB, you might as well jump in a lake.

11. The Cat

He also torched Colorado for 3 TDs and 250 yards in October. Yes, they were ranked 14th at the time, but only because they hadn't gotten to play Nebraska yet. Still the same defense as he did yesterday.

And the game against Oregon saw Roy and BJ drop 3 touchdown passes. Is that his fault? The Longhorns also chose to run it around the goalline. Is that his fault? Simms also got picked off on a couple of hail mary's that he had to throw. Is that his fault?

The game against OU had two interceptions as flukes at the end of the game. One when he was hit by Roy Williams when the line didn't protect him, another on a hail mary type throw at the end of the game when Texas was down 14-3 with a minute left.

12. The Cat

A&M had no chance in beating UT that year, whether you put Simms at QB, or Elmer Fudd.

So Elmer Fudd could've made those beautiful throws in strike to Roy and BJ for touchdowns? He could've thrown for about 343 yards on 16 for 24 passing, with no interceptions? Damn, that's pretty impressive. Maybe we should recruit him. ;)

Any game against A&M is a big game, no matter what the record for Texas or A&M is.

13. Timing

Timing Member

That statement is pure conjecture and speculation, that's what's wrong with it. You can't predict touchdowns before they happen. If you can, a lucrative job awaits you in Vegas.

Prior to this game, these were the national rankings for UT's defense.

3rd vs the run - 77 yards/game
    2nd in total defense - 227 yards/game
    2nd in scoring defense - 11 pts/game

Here is what Colorado did to them.

223 yards rushing
    334 total yards
    32 offensive points

On top of that, because Colorado was able to run so well they controlled the ball almost twice as much as UT. UT had the tremendous advantage of studying what Colorado did to Nebraska last week and still couldn't stop Colorado from running the ball right at them. And Colorado didn't run for 223 yards by running in from the 22 yard line over and over again as you seem to want to imply by your field position statement.

Simms isn't a fraud because of one game but rather his failure to rise to play even average in important games. Smokey's stats tell the tale. In the three most important games this season, Simms played poorly and yesterday he committed four turnovers in a single half of the most important game of his life to date. Another amazing thing about Simms is that the other teams would rather play against him than Major. If that doesn't raise all kinds of eyebrows then I don't know what would.

Texas IS the straw house. They racked up big numbers against bad teams. Look at their opponents, specifically the defenses of their opponents. They played some of the biggest trash in the country but when they played solid defenses they didn't do very much. To contrast this, Miami put up 26 points on VTech which was 3rd in the nation in scoring defense and Tennessee put 34 points on Florida which was tied for 3rd in scoring defense. And they did it on the road in the biggest games of the year for them.

This is what Texas did this year against the good teams and the not so good teams.

3 pts Oklahoma (5th in scoring defense)
    14 pts A&M (17th in scoring defense)

41 pts Colorado (35th)
    44 pts North Carolina (39th)
    42 pts Texas Tech (46th)
    45 pts Oklahoma St (57th)
    35 pts Missouri (73rd)
    49 pts Baylor (92nd)
    41 pts New Mexico St (96th)
    59 pts Kansas (106th)
    53 pts Houston (112th)

14. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

UT reminds me a lot like Jeff Bagwell.

Beat up on the sisters of the blind and then pee in your pants when a real team or pitcher faces you.

They both have the deer in the headlights look when they are challenged.

15. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

kidrockk, you are right but the team didn't play horribly this game. The offense moved the ball well. Only one player had the deer in the headlights look. I feel for the guy, really.

16. The Cat

After this game, Texas now has the #1 total defense in the country.

As for Colorado's game, did you notice they had much less passing yards than UT usually allows? The difference is Colorado runs about twice as much as a normal team. Yes, they had more total yards than Texas' averaged going in, but that's impossible not to expect. There's not a defense in the country who won't give up more than average yards and points when playing a top 10 team. That's common sense; that's why the other team is in the top 10.

On offense, the A&M game was practically impossible to move the ball in, because the wind was downright awful. You could put a pro offense out there and they would hardly score any points. The Colorado game yesterday we scored 37 in, and that was a big game. The other Colorado game we scored 41. The only legit game on your list was the OU game where we only scored 3 points, and that was a combination of a brilliant defensive performance by OU and a poor offensive job by the Horns. If you think 1 game makes a straw house, then fine, we're a straw house. I believe in using more than one game as a measuring stick, though.

17. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Here is Simms stat line vs. ranked opponents beginning from when the golden boy ascended to the throne.

vs. Texas A&M in Austin
    16 for 24, 383 yards, 3 td's, 0 int's

vs. Oregon
    17 for 33, 245 yards, 0 td's, 4 int's

vs. Oklahoma (2001)
    24 for 42, 198 yards, 0 td's, 4 int's

vs. Colorado in Austin
    17 for 28, 234 yards, 3 td's, 0 int's

vs. Colorado
    9 for 17, 130 yards, 0 td's, 3 int's

---
    Overall: 2-3; both wins at home against Top 25 opponents.

0-3 at neutral sites; 0 td's, 11 int's

0-2 vs. Top 10 at the time of play

0-1 vs. Top 15; Oregon was ranked # 11 by ESPN before the Holiday Bowl. Oregon finished in the Top 10.
    ---

Simms is great against unranked opponents, good against Top 15-25, and sucks under pressure vs. Top 1-15.

He isn't the man.

18. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

gr8-1, unfortunately it only takes 1 guy. You're right though, UT was playing well offensively.

Cat-What? UT's defense didn't really show up for the game. IMO. That was not the #1 defense I saw last night. One of the worst displays of tackling I've seen this year.

Without a doubt, Miami has the best defense in the nation, stats be damned.

19. The Cat

Bagwell hit .429 in the playoffs this year.

UT played a fine game yesterday; however, it's damn hard to beat anyone when your QB spots the other team 26 points. One player does not equal a team.

20. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

What Smokey said.

On the road, or at a neutral field, UT always gets whipped.

The last road win worth a damn for UT was the 98 Neb win. Nice, but Neb also lost 4 games that year.

Nonetheless, it was Major's coming out party, and it was the last time UT won when they weren't supposed to.