1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Don't be surprised...

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Gideon, Jun 28, 2000.

1. Gideon

Gideon Member

...if the Rocks don't take any of the people that we have projected them to take. Since I became a fan (roughly 10 yrs ago) I have yet to see one year where the Rockets take the pick that everyone thought they would. I wouldn't be surprised that after it's all said and done the Rockets don't have Moiso, Miller, Johnson, or Alexander. Check out what Lance Zierlien thinks about it.

In the past, the Rockets have been criticized on draft day for taking players such as Robert Horry, Sam Cassell, Rod Rhodes and Kenny Thomas. Rudy T. creates nightmares each year for GMs around the league and mock draftsters around the country because he drafts players that fit into the "Rocket system" rather than drafting the player who is the consensus selection of the masses.
    http://www.houstonsportspage.com/rockets/war_room.htm

------------------
    He who stands for nothing will fall for anything.

[This message has been edited by Gideon (edited June 28, 2000).]

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This year the rockets pick higher than they have in a while. Rudy is looking at diamonds, not diamonds in the rough.

Horry, Rhodes, and Cassell werte surprises, but Dickerson and Drew weren't. KT was a surprise, but the rockets picked late in a weak draft and there weren't any standouts at that point.

If Courtney Alexander is at 9, the rockets pick him. He didn't work out with the rocks because they didn't think he would be around.

------------------
    "You've got 6 fouls, use them well" -Derrick Coleman

3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

If Courtney Alexander is at 9, the rockets pick him. He didn't work out with the rocks because they didn't think he would be around.

He didn't work out here because the last thing we need is another shooting guard. If we select Alexander it will be for the purpose of a trade.

------------------

4. CaucasionSensation

I would love to see us end up picking Courtney Alexander although because of Cleveland's trading of Sura I'm thinking they would get him a pick before us.

But if we did get him, then

2's
    Cat
    ALexander

3's
    Anderson
    Rogers
    Bullard (poor man's performing Walt)
    (Trade Walt, does not fit into future plans)

When are we gonna rid of the Wizard? I still think he is do for a new address. That would be my hope.

I however firmly believe that the Rockets will end up with Jerome Moiso by the time the night is over. I'm lukewarm on him, but he'll almost certainly be available.

The possibility of the Rocks picking a center such as Tsakladis, Pryzbilla, scares me. I still see Cato as the future and don't believe any report that the Rockets will trade him, I do believe though that they are shopping him around seeing if any offer comes back that is too good to turn down.

Want: 1)Courtney Alexander 2)Demarr Johnson 3)Jerome Moiso

Will Get: Jerome Moiso

------------------

[This message has been edited by CaucasionSensation (edited June 28, 2000).]

5. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

don't be suprised... if something actually good happens in the draft. Portland, supposedly is trying to get either Mihm or Pryza... using O'Neal again. If the Bulls don't do the trade... I'm not sure why the Rockets couldn't pull that trade off.

If Cleveland takes Pryzabilla at #8... then there's better draft/trade material at the #9.

win/win

------------------

6. Gideon

Gideon Member

I wouldn't mind getting any of the above mentioned players. What scares me the most is the rumor of trading down for Etan Thomas. Is he really the kind of player we want for the team we're building right now? I don't know much about him, so I guess I'm kind of fearing the unknown.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gideon (edited June 28, 2000).]

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

actually, on the NBA board about a month ago, rocketsfan34 wonder out loud if we'd draft Collier, and was correct.

------------------
    The more lefties on your team, the better.
    Collier is Seven Foot and Left Handed. How can you go wrong?
    Trade or bench Kenny Thomas.

8. Gideon

Gideon Member

Joe Joe, What did I tell ya... NOBODY thought we'd draft this guy.

------------------