1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donovan Mitchell?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, May 15, 2024.

1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Garland or Mitchell?

2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

He could rebound occasionally, that wouldn’t kill him, or contribute SOMETHING. Rockets defense was also much better when he sat.

Also, i listed all the other metrics as well, PER is just one

3. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

right ! I was like what is a high price then? lol

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The defense on-off is a red herring.

He played against the other teams best lineups - and specifically he draws the other teams best offensive player, whether it was Victor Wembanyama or DeAaron Fox. There's a reason why he's going to get all defensive team votes.

Sure, the defensive efficiency of the team improved when he sat - this is true for a huge number of starting NBA players, particularly non Centers!

Strawberry Gum and cbass like this.
  5. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Different points in time, different situations. When we signed FVV we had the cap space to spare because the bulk of our roster was on rookie deals for the next couple of years. Now those rookie deals are starting to come due.

Did you notice that the guaranteed money on FVV's deal ends right before Green and Sengun would become free agents? Think that was a coincidence?

Remember, an extension for Mitchell wouldn't start until 2026. Our cap situation won't be nearly as forgiving then.

Huge difference.

As far as the cost of signing Mitchell, it will be the max he's allowed to make $269.9M for 5 years. There's teams willing to pay him the max, he's not likely to take a reduced salary or length of contract to play in Houston.

theDude likes this.
  6. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I just wish he was like a D level offensive player. He is probably the worst non center
    in the league at this point on offense. His defense isn’t bad, but he’s also not nearly good enough to be a positive player. Was he slightly less horrendous than i expected? Yes. Is it good that he plays any minutes? No

i don’t put much stock in voting for stuff like this, people vote for the names mostly. Guys like kobe would get voted even though they sucked on defense

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think it was better when he sat after Amen became a factor. His injury mid-year also played a part. He was a much better defender the first part of the year. I think he is a decent trade piece or a good bench role player if we keep him. Amen needs to be the starting small forward if FVV is still at point. Amen’s defense and rebounding far outweighs the ok 3 pt shooting of Brooks.

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Jalen Brunson is the modern Iverson.

9. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

His defense is severely limited but his fouling and his extremely low bball iq. He has good physical tools but it’s hard to overcome those deficiencies. It’s very similar to klay, who was a good defender but his stupidity limited him

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's not the lazy newspaper columnists and talking heads that mention his defense - it's the number crunchers.

Not the same as Kobe making it in on rep year over year

11. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Mitchell re-signs in Cleveland and Garland requests a trade, how about a trade for Garland?

FVV+ #3 + 2026 BKN

We would probably have to take on one of their other contracts, too (Wade). We get 6 years younger and add some much-needed shooting improvement. It gives us potential long-term stability at every position.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  12. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

But his metrics are ALL terrible (that i know of). Do you think they’re just all wrong? Or do they miss something? I think he’s actually worse by the eye test but i trust metrics much more than anyone’s eye test

13. JohnWoo713

JohnWoo713 Member

Doubt Cavs want the deal without a young player but unless they want herro or reaves, this is their best option to get younger (Sheppard) while filling in the hole at the 3 spot. Could also trade Allen to Memphis for #9 and take Clingan or trade back for Castle at #3 and at #9 for Ware.

The rockets CANT give up Jalen or any of the young players. #3, Brooks, Tate, Landale and future firsts should be the deal. Mitchell would be our Shai where everyone is drafted by us. The trio of Green Mitchell and Sengun will work as both can use the PnR to create and create for others. A traditional point is ideal but Trae or Garland are the only realistic options as they are defensive liabilities or waiting until next year hopefully getting Harper. Get Mitchell without giving up the core. Run FVV at the 6th man spot.

DMitch/FVV/Holiday
    Green/___
    Amen/Cam
    Bari/Eason
    Sengun/Adams

14. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

Mitchell was toxic in Utah, Mitchell apparently has been toxic in Cleveland too.

Little Bit likes this.
  15. Houston77

Supporting Member

I'd seriously consider this, especially if we did not have to give up one of our young core. My primary concern with Garland is he is on a max despite never player 70+ games in a single season. That does give me pause. Also, Garland is more of a #2/#3 guy, so you better be sure we have our #1 on the roster. Say what you will about Mitchell, he's shown that he can be the #1 on a successful team.

theDude likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

and if Mitchell can be that then I don't see why Green can't be that next season. Keep in mind Mitchell would be a rookie last season at Green's age as he joined the league at 21.

Green has more natural talent than him and the one thing that would hold Green back would have been a poor coaching staff and culture around him but that has been resolved.

17. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I wasn’t aware he had locker room issues

roslolian likes this.
  18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I don’t think I can do 4 years of Garland at $40 mil per. Not sure what happened to him this year; his assist:TO rate took a hit and his shooting was the worst since his rookie season. But he’s still a young former all star who is an extremely good shooter. What do folks think of Garland?

roslolian likes this.
  19. Houston77

Supporting Member

It's really interesting to watch what's going on in Cleveland. It looks like they might re-resign Mitchell, but hire a new coach and trade Garland and Allen to retool around Mitchell and Mobley. I honestly can see the logic -- they probably will get a ton for Garland and Allen while still remaining competitive.

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

What you say may be true, unless Donovan Mitchell indicates (behind the scenes, of course) that he wants to be elsewhere, or Cleveland doesn't want to pay him whatever he'll command (in which case they'd pay him and trade him later, I guess).