1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donovan Mitchell?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, May 15, 2024.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

All I have to say...

One, I hate judging trades that don't happen yet. So I don't know the details, if it turns out we're trading like protected draft picks and Tari Eason + #3 or something is different from #3 plus Jalen, Jabari, or Amen. So I'll wait to see what he goes for before I judge but...

Two. It's funny hearing people say they'd rather keep Jalen than trade for a...lets see here...
    5x All Star
    All NBA Second team

Some even saying Jalen could be better than that...this board really needs to decide if they hate Jalen or not.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Whoever is saying this is, simply put, not to be taken seriously.

Mitchell would be an excellent fit and would be a great addition, though within a reasonable price.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  3. OremLK

OremLK Member

The two questions for me are:

1. Can any team with Donovan Mitchell ever contend for a title? The dude needs the ball in his hands a lot, and he's good, but he's not "run the offense through him damn near every play" good--not in the NBA playoffs. He also plays very little defense. He keeps exiting early for a reason. Sure, he's an all-star, former All-NBA, etc, but I guess my question is... is Donovan Mitchell fool's gold?

[EDIT: Mitchell's usage rate this season was 31.4%. That puts him at #7 in the league, very similar to SGA and Ant, and higher usage than Jokic, Tatum, LeBron, etc. Is he good enough to justify that?]

2. Even if it's possible to build a deep playoff team around Mitchell, is that something we are going to be able to do before he goes into decline as a player? He is going to turn 28 right around the start of next season. Regardless of which guy becomes our #2 option out of the young core (probably Sengun, maybe Amen, Cam, who knows at this point)--all of those guys are age 19-22 right now. They aren't going to peak for at least a few more years. Mitchell will be into his 30s by the time the young dudes are in their prime years. What kind of window does that give us with everybody at their peak potential? A year? Two? Three at most?

I don't know, man. I just don't see it. But if we trade for him I'll root for him and hope for the best.

cbass likes this.
  4. meh

meh Contributing Member

Based on all the rumors coming out of Cleveland, this thread needs to be renamed Darius Garland.

joshuaao, NewAge and JayGoogle like this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, price is everything. He's not a tier 1 superstar, like Giannis or something, an MVP level player. For that player you might be willing to basically gut your core for and hope to pair the MVP level player with whatever is left + a big FA signing in a big three kind of move.

He's tier 2 maybe 3 guy. So IMO he's worth the #3 pick plus Tari/Cam/Jalen/Jabari or Amen...just one of those guys plus 3...IF he's willing to resign. If he's not willing to resign then he's worth future protected draft picks and whatever else can match.

I do think if you swapped him out for Jalen we become a lot better instantly. Jalen could go on to be a tier 2 kind of player, maybe better, but obviously if the Rockets trade him for Donovan than that means they don't believe he will become better because Jalen will be cheaper and Donovan is likely going to cost a max.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's what I said. If they have to give up a big chunk of our young core, then pass. To me Sengun and Amen are untouchable. Jabari and Tari will be valuable pieces any contender needs. I'd trade one of Green and Whitmore plus some draft capitals for Mitchell because those guys' upsides are about what Mitchell is.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

His first all star appearance was his third year. He joined the NBA at 21. Green joined at 19.

Green could make a all-star appearance in his 5th year for the first time and be a similar age to Mitchel's first all-star appearance.

8. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Nope! Reed Sheppard will be better than Spida

Little Bit likes this.
  9. fchowd0311

The same dudes who've always hated Green are the same ones it hing to trade him.

Who is going back and forth as you claim?

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I’m a Mitchell fan. I’d enjoy this.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Honestly, I like Garland more than Mitchell.

OremLK and cbass like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

“We’re doing this. We are going to make the change. We’re going to go after it and roll the dice. The one thing I believe you do in business, and you do in basketball, is you never sit still. You always keep it exciting. It’s exciting for the fans.”

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Both are Jacks, as far as I'm concerned.

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think he's more likely to be a real dude on a championship team at some point, honestly. Mitchell has more raw talent as a player but Garland is much easier to build a roster with. With Mitchell you really gotta figure out how to cover for him defensively and you need some amazing off-ball talent because they're really going to have to make the most of their limited opportunities with the way he plays the game.

Easy likes this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

1. I have zero problem with Mitchell's offense. Mitchell's defense leaves some to be desired, but Curry has proven that the right team can overcome bad defense.
    2. This is the problem with trading for guys like Mitchell, IMO. It isn't that they poison any team that gets them. It is usually the team poisons themselves by what they give up to get someone like Mitchell. Guys like Mitchell win games making it hard to get good players via the draft once he's on a team. Also, teams usually give up every asset (or enough assets) they have to get guys like Mitchell, that they can't make meaningful upgrades through trades.

I don't see trading for Mitchell as a necessarily bad thing, but it really depends on the deal. I'd be very leery of trading Nets picks except the No. 3. I'd not want to trade Amen, Tari, Jabari, Sengun, and/or Cam either.

16. Jags

Jags Member

Donovan Mitchell hasn’t had the type of support in his career that would result in a deep playoff run. At least offensively. He reminds me very much of Harden before CP3 arrived. No reliable co-star offensively, yet still manages to put up All-NBA production. And unlike Harden, Mitchell actually performs in the playoffs.

Gobert in Utah? Mobley/Garland in Cleveland?

Sengun alone would be the best second option Mitchell has had in his entire career. And we would still have 3-4 more guys out of the young core to support Mitchell between Cam, Amen, Tari, and Jabari.

To me, it’s a risk worth taking. Because even if it doesn’t work out or we don’t win with Mitchell, we can always retool after his contract is up — Sengun and the core would just be entering their prime.

joshuaao and Rockets FTW like this.
  17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Green and # 3 for Mitchell
    No to adding Tari, Bari, Amen, Sengun and Cam.

Green and # 3 are more than any other team could offer.

joshuaao, Mr.Scary, htownrox1 and 3 others like this.
  18. lionaire

lionaire Member

My concern is that he only has two yrs left on his deal, final one being a PO. Meaning we could essentially lose him after one season.

If he chooses to extend we're looking at above $40m annually. We'll potentially have ~$90m tied up between Al P and Mitchell for the next 4 yrs. Just something to consider.

raining threes likes this.
  19. raining threes

This

I don't believe in Green and I was all on board with drafting him.

20. fchowd0311

Just curious. Why?