1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Done: Raiders trade first rounders for Carson Palmer

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by DonkeyMagic, Oct 18, 2011.

1. The Drake

The Drake Member

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree about Carson's quality. Maybe he'll shock all of southwestern Ohio and ball out in Oakland.

Time will tell :)

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I really think he was unhappy in Cinci.

A change of scenery, a coach he has a good relationship with, and a chance to be back home will certainly have him in better spirits.

We'll see.

I think this will benefit both teams.

3. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

I know he is mediocre but I would rather have Kyle Orton be a game manager then...

Probably would cost a 6th round pick compared to two first round picks..

4. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Being funny here but I feel sorry for Terrelle Pryor and Campbell... Now what???.... With Big Al lookin over the team, they had a chance for playing time... Now theres no hope in the near future...smh

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Did you see Orton 2 weeks ago? Pathetic. Guy can't even find an open receiver to save his life.

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Makes total sense for Oakland. They overpaid, but apparently Cincinatti wouldn't have made a fair deal. Oakland has a legit team this year, and needed a quarterback to put it together. They could make a decent little playoff run. If the Texans had a good team, and Matt Schaub went down, I'd hope they'd do the same thing.

7. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Palmers career against San Diego:

128 QB Rating
    72 Completion %
    9 TD 1 Interception
    1023 Passing Yards

You think this might have been in mind with San Diego facing them twice in the second half??

8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Wishful thinking wes!!!... We'd be stuck with Leinart and then draft a Kubiak disciple like Kellen Moore or that Michigan St. qb in the 2nd round...

9. weslinder

Really? Campbell is good enough to compete for the starting spot with Palmer next year. Pryor has no chance of being an NFL quarterback. He needs to be trying to switch positions now. Neither guy is getting screwed with this move.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I don't think they factored that in, but it certainly bolsters the case with SD being our only real competition for the Division.

11. The Drake

The Drake Member

I'll be shocked if Campbell is in Oakland next year unless Carson completely melts down.

I think JC's contract is up after this season and since Oakland's giving up 2 high picks for Palmer, they're probably going to want to get a little more than half a season out of that kind of investment.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The writing is on the wall for Campbell.

He just wasn't quite good enough to lead this team to where it wants to be.

Palmer has a better chance of doing that. No question.

13. weslinder

Either way, he's a legit NFL starting quarterback. He's not great, but he's not bad either. God knows there's going another team like Indy or Miami or Tennessee that gives him a starting job next year. He'll be fine.

14. The Drake

The Drake Member

Yeah, JC isn't awful, but I never quite understood PFO's obsession with him (mostly because I'm dumb, but still).

15. The Drake

The Drake Member

Oh, for sure. I was mostly just responding to the idea that he'll compete with Palmer for Oakland's starting job next season.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Could have had Schaub for that price!

Rocket River

17. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Sorry Campbell is a middle of the road type QB... The kind you throw out there when you dont wanna tank or rebuild yet and if you wanna see if he can unass a playoff berth (so your future franchise QB can take over next season).... He isnt quite Matt Schaub material but closer to Leinart...And yes both guys will get screwed with this move because the team is in a win -now transition mode....which means bye-bye

18. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

I think they could've gotten a better QB for that price..

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Not in Nashville. Did you forget they drafted Jake Locker? Hasselbeck signed a 3-year deal and will most likely be back for year two, especially if the Titans finish with a winning record. Very good chance he plays out the contract since it is only $5.5 million each of the next 2 years.

No way Campbell competes with Palmer. You don't give up 1 1st rounder, and what will either be a 1st or 2nd rounder, to turn around and have him competing for his job 10 games later.

20. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

so as a bengals fan, guess i'm rooting for the raiders to get into the playoffs and win a game. get that 2nd 1st rounder.

anyways, again, as i said earlier, i think he'll be fine in OAK. hue jackson knows how to run an offense, in fact many wanted him to be the OC here in cincy. palmer has ZERO mobility, and when i mean ZERO mobility, i mean my grandpa can move around in the pocket better than him.

the thing that killed me about palmer is some of the passes he threw. talking incredibly dumb decision making. a lot of times the CBS team calling the bengals game would have phil simms, and he would say numerous games, "how can you be in the league for as long as he has and make that throw".

obviously, towards the end he was incredibly unhappy with being in cincy, and a change of scenery will help imo. with mcfadden, and if the o-line can protect, i think carson can do well.

having said all that. was carson worth giving up what the raiders gave up? imo, no. i'm just glad mike brown traded and got something of value. didn't expect that much, so i'll even give mike brown a golf clap for this trade.