1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Done: Raiders trade first rounders for Carson Palmer

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by DonkeyMagic, Oct 18, 2011.

1. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

I like who the Raiders got, I'm a big believer in Palmer and still think he has a lot left in the tank although his arm has declined slightly these past years.

Obviously they gave up too much but this gives them the best chance to compete.

I love how Marvin Lewis said Palmer is retired just yesterday and they jump all over the 1st round pick, lol...

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

He can also lose you games. Palmer isn't an elite QB any longer. He makes too many mistakes, to cost you games, even if his arm can win you some games. He's a worse version of Tony Romo, esp. last year. I still remember that one game where he cost the Bengals the game by throwing a bajillion picks to end the game and lose it in OT.

Cincy raped the Raiders period, point blank. But both sides got what they want.

But you're not going to the SB with Palmer, or anywhere close to it. This is simply just to show Raider nation that the Raiders are now serious at winning games, which is a great sign. Sometimes teams make moves to show to their fanbase that they care.

But if you think Palmer is going to change the fortunes of the Raiders (they were already a playoff team with Jason Campbell b/c they win by the traditional route: running the football and dominating the trenches). If Palmer plays lights out like it was his 2nd/3rd year in the league, then I'm wrong.

But I highly doubt Palmer will turn back the clock 5-6 years. The greats in this league are about consistency, something you don't get with Palmer throughout his career.

He's like a tease. I followed him at USC, I know. But I wish him well b/c he does have a lot of talent, and always wanted him to do well.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

2 first rounders?!?!? Wow!

4. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

The Division is pretty much between SDG and Oak , since we all know Den and KC are not coming to the party anytime soon in the West.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Funny how things change when you start winning a couple games.

All of you said the Patriots raped the Raiders for Seymour.

Who would you rather have right now, a dominant DT with plenty left in the tank or a project LT?

Heyward-Bey is putting up better numbers than Crabtree right now.

Aaron Curry looked good on Sunday.

Maybe Al was crazy like a fox after all.

I'm not saying it all can't blow up in their faces and turn into a franchise-crippling move, but I'm at least happy that they went out and made a move when a move needed to be made.

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

****ing all over Carson Palmer is what we do best.

Good luck with Vanilla Ice

7. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

so is it 2 first rounders or just the 2012 and 2013 is conditional, that could turn into a first rounder?

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Glazer said its a 1st rounder next year and 2nd round pick in 2013 which could become a 1st rounder, if certain conditions are met (Probably only if he makes the Pro Bowl or something like that).

I'm not saying the Bengals didn't do well here, Palmer wouldn't have played for them again and this way they can go get some more help for Dalton, it was a no-brainer for them.

This is a ballsy, all-in move by Oakland. I love it.

Palmer doesn't have to be a world beater for this team to dominate, just has to make throws on 3rd downs and occasionally hit the deep ball to keep the defense honest.

We'll have to wait and see.

If he shreds his ACL in a couple weeks you will all know I have offed myself.

9. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

The trading deadline is today, right? Garrard opted for surgery to end the season, which left the Raiders with not a whole lot of options.

They are a young team that is on the verge of making the playoffs this year. It's really not surprising that they decided to overpay for a decent QB rather than put all of their hopes on Kyle Boller.

10. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

to be fair, palmer was stuck with a brain dead OC in bratkowski for years. it wouldnt surprise me to see him do ok in oakland. i dont think he'll take you to the promise land, but he can do ok. how are the raiders receivers? is heyward-bey catching any passes yet?

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

DHB has 3 straight good games (albeit against very average CBs), it has shocked me how well he's been getting off the line and the cuts he's been making.

I seriously thought he was going to be the biggest piece of **** we ever drafted, but he could turn into an above average WR.

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Sounds like the main disagreement is on whether you think Carson Palmer has anything left. Here's what I think:

Palmer is 32, and hasn't played in a game since last December
    He threw 20 picks last season
    He quit on his team
    There was no market for Palmer - no other teams were bidding for him
    Giving up next year's first rounder means no pick till the 5th round

To put things in perspective, Houston paid a 2nd and 3rd rounder for a younger Matt Schaub about to enter his prime.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Not like he forgot how to play, and he's 31 (turns 32 at the end of this year). Plus he's going to a familiar system and coach.

Lots of good QBs have done this, his rating was ok though. The Bengals blew monkey nard the last few years and it killed him.

After 7 years or something, 3 of which were balls blowingly bad.

We don't know this. Besides, who else was available?

So? Not like not having any picks after the 1st rounder make that 1st rounder even more valuable.

We gave up two 2nd rounders for Matt. A 26 year old QB who hadn't proved jack diddly yet.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

We'll just have to see.

Also - the condition on the 2013 1st rounder is reportedly that Palmer has to win a playoff game.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

That's a good conditional.

What is the pick worth if he doesn't?

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

2nd rounder I think.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ballsy is the right word choice here. As opposed to crazy. But man... those are some important picks to be trading.

18. what

what Member

This deal is in-freakin-sane.

2 first rounders? Are they freaking crazy?

The bengals have just guaranteed themselves possibly a super bowl in the next 5 years, maybe even sooner.

I would love to be a bengals fan right now.

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I think it's a very good deal for Cincy but let's not go too crazy

20. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

Did the Ravens and Steelers in their own division fall of the Earth possibly ?:confused: