1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Done: Raiders trade first rounders for Carson Palmer

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by DonkeyMagic, Oct 18, 2011.

1. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Garrard had surgery .... Carson sucks but I think it had more to do with Cincy than his abililites...

2. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Garrard needs back surgery. Raiders had their back against the wall, can't believe Bengals cashed in big. What's the conditions for the 2013 pick?

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

I agree it's way too much. Orton would have been a better option, but apparently it's done. I just think that's the logic from their end to justify the moves.

But you're right. What the Raiders have done well was draft fairly well in the past few years (outside of Russell of course). And more teams are building through the draft, if they draft right (look at Detroit).

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think a lot of Palmer's struggles last season were due to the ineptitude of Ocho and TO. I remember him tearing it up toward the end of the season with Jerome Simpson and Andre Caldwell.

5. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Oops! I had not read about Garrard. What the heck has he been waiting on if he needed surgery? Does this mean he was injured while he was a Jag or did he just get injured?

Still not thrilled with the trade as a Cinci-hater, but when the Raiders have nothing left to trade, they're stuck giving away 1's.

6. SacTown

SacTown Member

It's a good move. Price is a little high, but Palmer is a top 7 QB when he's playing good and motivated. I think the scrub receivers in Cinci and Ochocinco sideshow frustrated him. Raiders are trying to win now. They are playing good, they have one of the top RB in the league - they have been bad for so long WITH high draft picks, they saw an opportunity here and they went with it. I like it especially since we are so conservative and make very few moves here in Houston.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Lulz, Baqui bro you don't really know what you're talking about here. First of all you're seriously overvaluing 3rd round picks.

Kyle Orton? KYLE ORTON? He's ****ing terrible and he makes about what Palmer will make after Palmer restructures his deal later today.

If it comes down a 3rd round pick for Kyle Orton or a 1st and a conditional for Palmer... you do that deal every day of the ****ing week.

The Raiders have loaded up on young talent through the draft over the past 4-5 years because they've been ****, This isn't the Texans we're talking about. The defensive line is completely stacked 8 man deep, the secondary was re-stocked this past draft, the only real question mark for this team was the offensive line, and so far they've been a lot better than people thought.

This is a win-now move and a starting QB like Carson Palmer isn't going off the shelf for less than a 1st round pick. 3rd round market value? Not when you're talking about a conference rival currently sitting with the same record as you, especially with an owner as stubborn as Mike Brown. NOBODY thought this deal would even be possible, NOBODY. Thats the reputation Mike Brown has. He once passed up 1 first round picks and a 2nd rounder for Ocho.

Palmer is a legit QB who can get this team to the playoffs, and he won't be asked to do as much because he's inheriting a team.

This is what a win-now move looks like.

I'm not saying it isn't risky, but this is why a team like Oakland can get back to the top while a sit around and see what happens team like the Texans acquire Derrick Mason and think that'll change anything.

#27 moestavern19, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

This is why I love Hue Jackson.

Fake FGs on 4th and 20, future 1st rounders for Carson Palmer when nobody else could make Mike Brown budge.

[​IMG]

9. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

You cannot judge Orton this year b/c he's playing in a city where every damn fan wants him out, and wants Tebow in. And Denver sucks. The last 2 years, Orton puts up the same stats to what Palmer has put his past 3-4 years in the league.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Kyle Orton has the pocket presence of a deaf walrus. He's trash.

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Top 7? More like top 15. He's been OK but not THAT good since he tore an elbow ligament a couple of years ago.

12. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Nobody thought this deal was possible, because nobody thought someone would trade a 1st + conditional.

13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Congrats to Oakland for getting pansted by the Cincy front office.

I don't care if Kyle Boller is your QB. The Bengals had absolutely no leverage in this situation. None at all. And sheer fact that they were able to drive up in the market on an overrated, underachieving malcontent with a contract through 2014 (who's teams is 4-2 WITHOUT HIM, no less), is simply astonishing to me.

No seriously, who else wanted Palmer? And who else was willing to give up first-rounder(s) for him? Nobody. And Cincy potentially got two out of the deal.

Best of luck to ya, Oakland. You'll need it because the only way this trade is justifiable is if ya'll make some serious noise. And i'm not just talking about merely making the playoffs. We're talking winning at least a game or two. And guess what? You get to do it with the Vanilla Ice of football. A guy that's as mistake prone as they come in the 4th quarter. A complete flake that wants absolutely nothing to do with idea of having to carry a team and lead them to victory.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Oakland just got a franchise QB for their team that is stomping mudholes already.

They'd be dumb not to do what they did. Don't have time to wait for a draft pick to develop.

15. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Totally agree Moes...Brandon Lloyd was there for a freaking 5th rounder... F-Agents routinely are cut for salary reasons and we sit there like we got it under control.... The Texans are seriously taking the fans patience and love of football for granted....

16. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

sfsdf

yep, how mike brown pulled this deal off is astonishing. 2 first rounders for palmer? unreal.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Lulz. Calm down Steeler fan, just because your QB can't find regular poon and your defense suddenly sucks doesn't mean you need to try and **** all over Carson Palmer.

18. DonnyMost

The 2013 pick is likely a 3rd or 4th that can be escalated up to a 1st depending on how he plays.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Can we just merge these threads already?

I'm getting confused.

Carson Palmer is better than Jason Campbell and Hue Jackson knows the plays he likes to run and how to get the WRs in sync with him.

I heard a couple sources saying that Hue wanted to go after Carson even in the offseason when Campbell was firmly entrenched.

Jason Campbell isn't a QB who will win you games down the stretch, Palmer can do that.

If the Raiders finish 7-9 with Kyle Boller at QB this season they end up with what? 15th pick in the draft? What good does that do them?
    Does that give them a sure-fire franchise QB who can win now?

Didn't think so.

20. DonnyMost

Don't listen to the haters moes. This is a perfect fit for the next 3 years. His contract is up in 2014. Raiders can do some serious damage in the meantime.