1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Done: Raiders trade first rounders for Carson Palmer

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by DonkeyMagic, Oct 18, 2011.

1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Raiders trade for Carson Palmer

Schefter is reporting its a done deal.

1st rounder next year and a conditional in 2013.

Move had to be made. Palmer has plenty left in the tank and is probably an upgrade over Campbell. More fire in his belly.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Damn. That is steep.

4. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Thats what GM ing is all about... I think their 1st round pick history helped them in this decision... I like the move and the balls to do it...

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
    Raiders also explored the possibility of a trade for Eagles QB Vince Young. But Hue Jackson wanted to be reunited with Carson Palmer.

**** me.

Thank god Mike Brown is in a good mood.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It would be good for both teams. Palmer is talented and a west coast guy. The 2nd pick being conditional makes it a lot more palatable.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

1st rounder for Palmer?????

Thats insane

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'm fine with it. As long as those 1st rounders end up being in the mid 20 range.

Carson was the best QB available and Hue went out and got it done in less than 48 hours.

I'm sure he'll have no qualms about restructuring his contract to get under the cap.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Kyle Boller as your starting QB is insane.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I just became a Raiders fan. That team is going to own the NFC West after Palmer gets up to speed.

11. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Wow 1st rounder for Palmer, plus a conditional pick?? That's a nice return for the Bengals and a risky move by the Raiders. But hey, at least they've been making risky moves and some of them have paid off. Goodluck moes.

12. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

in terms of a WIN-NOW perspective, it had to be done. but the bengals absolutely robbed the raiders, unless they end up not getting the second 1st rounder (since its conditional)

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just seems high to me. I don't think those draft picks will be in the mid 20s...more like high teens.

I can see 1 1st rounder but the condition of a second is a lot. Maybe if this was 3 years ago, but Palmer is 32 and has fallen off the map. Granted, he has been in a franchise in a downward spiral

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Mike Brown just robbed the Raiders. Palmer's market value is a 3rd round pick tops. Seems like he's been in steady decline the last few years. Why go all in on Carson when they're still a year or two away?

15. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

I was a Palmer fan at USC. I think the circumstances in Cincy made it hard for him. He has a good relationship with Jackson, and he's from Cali so hopefully he can revitalize his career a little bit.

The Raiders have a legit shot at making the playoffs this year. And they are changing perceptions around the league about Raiders' football. I think they want to maintain that perception that they are willing to do anything to win, including making some risks.

Palmer's decline had a lot to do with the terrible drama in Cincy. Look at Cincy now without all the drama. Mentality has a lot to do with how a player plays, and let's see Palmer in a new situation where he is wanted.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I just picked up Carson in fantasy. Yes, my situation is THAT dire.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Raiders gave up too much for a guy who may have little left in the tank. Part of Palmer's problem could have been playing for the Bengals and this move might rejuvenate him. Better hope so after giving up a 1st rounder.

For the Raiders, it's playoffs or bust after this trade. The pressure is on.

18. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Carson isn't that good.

Garrard plus a 1st rounder is better than Carson minus a 1st.

19. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

The problem is that Oakland has no 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round picks next year. once this trade is done, they won't pick until the 5th round in 2012. These are the types of moves that can gut a franchise, as the draft is essentially the lifeblood of a program. Those dumbasses gave away their 3rd rounder to take that bum, T Pryor, who will never be a QB in the NFL.

While I agree that the Raiders are trying to improve, throwing away draft picks is not the right way to do it. Kyle Orton would have been only a moderate dropoff from Palmer, and could've been had for a 5th or 6th rounder.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Garrard is done for the year, and possibly longer.

Carson can help you now. And next year, he can help you even more. Dude can ball.