1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Done Deal: Nikola Mirotic to Pelicans for Omer Asik + 1st round pick

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Nook

Nook Member

They had to move Mirotic and there wasn't a lot of interest. So the two teams threw around some garbage and Paxson can point to the #1 pick.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

“Minimal protections?”

This is how the blazers got lillard

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't care what that list said. For a bad team (and any team absorbing these contracts is bad) they aren't going to care how good the player is. They care about him as a contract and an asset.

Asik has A LOT less owed to him on his deal and has almost nothing owed to him after next year. $3 million is chump change. If the Bulls intend to compete in the 2019 free agent class, which they probably do (and should want to) Asik is not a negative to them that year. Ryno in that year still costs them $20 million.

Additionally, yes, Asik's contract is an asset. Why? Because he counts $12 million or so in a trade but is only owed $3 million.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

he suffered a broken fibula and has missed the last 2 months basically. he has little to nothing left in the tank at this point

6. justtxyank

I don't know if Allen has anything left, but I'd definitely take Jameer.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. Raz

Raz Member

A first rounder for Mirotic is more than Chicago could've asked, especially since it's not going to be a late one. Good job by the Bulls (when was the last time that was the case?).

8. Nook

Nook Member

I have heard a lot of people say he doesn't have much left. When I have seen him play, he appeared to still defend well and hit enough shots so that he wasn't completely left open.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Mirotic fits in their game plan now that Cousins is out, but wth are they going to do if they happen to resign him? It's like they're trying to insure the Pelicans at the 4 if they can't work out a deal with Cousins..

No idea what that organization is trying to do, Davis' will only get more injured by forcing him to play at the C position.

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lol Bulls

malakas likes this.
  11. malakas

malakas Member

what's the problem? Mirotic will be an expiring. They won't have any problem trading him for free if he's not injured.

justtxyank likes this.
  12. justtxyank

Seriously. He's going to be an expiring contract at a reasonable number that just had a good year. Of course they can trade him.

malakas likes this.
  13. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I mean, I guess if you don’t appreciate not care what experts say , than this is just you spouting your opinion of a teams preference. Which of course none of us know.

Which I can understand your position of being a lower $ amount per year being more valuable to the Bulls. It’s not unreasonable at all.

I feel, and only assuming because I have no clue, that these cap experts value actual production albeit overpaid moreso than absolute deadweight salary.

Which leads me to believing that going forward Ryan becomes a significantly better asset after a year.

14. justtxyank

The Pelicans just traded a 1st round pick and Omer Asik's terrible contract for a good player and a 2nd round pick.

Do you think there is ANY chance the Rockets are going to trade Ryno and a first for a good player and a 2nd?

Ryno absolutely becomes a more tradeable asset every year. I agree with that. After this year I don't think the cost to move him will be two firsts like it was allegedly after last year.

However, this year, this trade deadline? Ryno is a worst CONTRACT than Asik. Those lists and experts are of course evaluating production. Ryno is not a worst contract for the Rockets than Asik was for New Orleans, because Ryno gives us production. BUT, for the bad team that is taking a pick to absorb the player, they'd rather take the first round pick for the shorter, smaller deal even if the player doesn't play.

15. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Monroe signed with NOP?

16. justtxyank

Not official, but it sounds pretty likely. They added an extra contract to the Asik trade with the Bulls to create the room to sign him.

It's never concrete until he clears waivers but he's already had a conversation with the Pels coach and they've made moves to make room for him.

17. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

Allen over green? hmmm.... not so sure bout that, the guy's lost a lot of his D and skill

18. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

I rather go after Nelson and waive the most popular 3rd string player on the rockets bench, aka Bobby Brown.

19. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

The Suns have lost 10 of the last 12 games in which Monroe has played any minutes, and 10 of the last 11 in which he started the game.

They are 9-7 in the last 16 games he has NOT played.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I do not think we could get a valuable player and a 2nd back for ryno.

The nop 1st is likely 12-22, which is more valuable by far than 28-30 1st rd picks we project.

My point was of how valuable 1st rd picks are, while also how it’s still easy to move bad contracts that aren’t crippling; ie deng/noah

I understand your point about sucking in Chicago and wanting less salary, it makes sense and I agree if your tanking.

Not all teams that take on salary are completely tanking though, and some teams do aspire to improve while also gaining an asset.

I’ve always stated not this deadline but in the offseason is when you target a Ryan trade. And I believe it could be done with a single future 1st and netting an ok player/expiring in return.