1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas - X Factor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Bo6

Bo6 Member

dude just needs to squat everyday then switch to C. that's when his best minutes came (dwight out for 41 games). he is too slow to play PF.

2. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

For someone who had a serious back injury I'd be hesitant to put him in the low post for 25-30 minutes a game if he can function as a high post passer/stretch 4/low post threat to mix it up. He is a very talented guy but he's not an elite rim protector.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Mediocre player and likely gone this offseason when some small market throws him big dollars.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

SamFisher summarized it much better - $10+ million for him is buying high and likely selling low.

And I'd actually love to keep him and can see him playing himself into that contract.

But even with the increasing cap, even with the premiums on bigs, $10+ million on him is not "nothing, easily flipped".

I could point out the simple math, too, the fact that you're going to really need your top 3 players making $40-$50 million, that you have to fill out the rest of the roster with cap holds at a minimum, and that you want the ability to go 10 deep salary wise, even if you ultimately only go 8 deep. Meaning, take $45 million for three guys. Then add another 5 "legit" players. Then add the rest of the cap holds.

Basically, you better be sure that $10 million next guy is your 4th/5th player.

Today, I'm not sure DMo is the 7th or 8th best player.

5. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Sam you gotta ignore BobbytheFluke, he's the same little Minion that said the the 67 win Warriors winning championship last season was a complete fluke and TJ would be traded before DMO ect. Do not listen to him.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

can't forget Ricky Rubio apparently becoming the best player in the 2009 draft

7. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

The NBA really isn't filled with big centers who bang down low. Even 6"6 draymond green plays a lot of center.

His best position is center. Injuries are part of the game, him playing PF is not going to prolong his career or help his avoid re injuring his back.

He's just way to slow and not athletic enough to play Pf unless it's in a 10-15 min a game role off the bench and frankly if that's the case I wouldn't pay him more than 5-6 mil a year. As a center if he works on a few things he could be a 25-28 min per game key rotation piece. With the way the game is going he's a perfect for to play center. He can pass out the post and high post and can step out side and shoot 3s.

He's a poor rebounder and won't ever be good at it but if he can just fight for the ball like he didn't that playoff game against GS this year then that's good enough.

I like DMO but I wouldnt bring him back unless we sign Durant and horford. He would be a betye okie big off the bench. But if we don't get both of those guys we can spend that money elsewhere to better the team.

8. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Dmo is the boom all you haters leave my Dmo alone!

9. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Agreed but Green does bang down low too. I see him used similarly to how D'Antoni used Diaw. He can shoot the 3 (well, in 14-15 he could) and he's a good passer. He is definitely a poor rebounder. I suppose if you put him and Capela both out there, you can have Capela guard the quicker guy and D Mo guard the slower one; this is where coaching is going to have to pick apart matchups. But I think Capela/D Mo could be a good front court. I'd obviously prefer Capela/Horford.

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

We couldn't even flip him this year, on a rookie contract, to a team that really wanted him in Detroit.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

It was for a lottery draft pick in a year that DMo was going to be a free agent. Not to mention the injury to his back.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

We did flip him, but it got cancelled, so yes, we easily flipped him.

10m is only 2m more than Brewer who is NOT easily flipped.

DD

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

All I am saying is that - not counting that he was expressly declared to the entire league as untradeable - he is pretty tradeable.

The trade that was rescinded due to him not being tradeable proves that he is tradeable.

DD

14. dmoneybangbang

You give him a $10mil 2/year team option contract and take a risk that he has a great maintenance plan for his back.

15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Well, I guess that depends on what others offer as he is a RFA, if he plays well for his Olympic team, he might price himself out of Moreys comfort zone.

I believe he is fine and will bounce back for a good year this season, let's see what offers he gets, as it is pretty clear our cheap org will continue to waste Hardens prime with bargain players, or maybe Morey has learned you have to pay for quality role players too.

DD

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm not so sure the Olympics is going to help him. It's probably too late in the FA season.

He and his agent might be risking a lot to wait until the end of August to sign an offer sheet. No matter how well he does in the Olympics, teams do run out of capspace as the FA season progresses. And they make their highest offers at the beginning of the free agent season. Late August is not noted for garnering high Offer Sheets.

Look at what happened to Lowry when he first re-signed with us. He waited and waited for an Offer Sheet of the value he wanted and he waited too long. He probably passed on a higher offer in early July, thinking he'd get bigger ones. Then he ended up getting low-balled by Morey.

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

HP,

That was the old cap, there is a TON of money this year, every team has major cap space and bigs are going to be at a premium.

This is a different year, it might be wiser to go earlier with your offers rather than later as we usually do.

Lock up whom you like.

Read the Woj and Morey interview, Morey thinks a lot of NON max people will be getting the max because of the new system.

Not saying that is DMo - but I think fans will be freaking out over the offers players are going to get, especially moderate ones like DMo.

DD

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Reads kinda like one of malakas' posts. In a good way. :)

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I thought we were talking about seeing if performance in the Olympics can increase offers. Now your writing a long post about more money this year that everyone on the board has known for over a year.

More money is all relative. I didn't say players won't get more money than previous. I said the free agency season historically never favors people who wait until end of August to sigh offer sheets. I'm just talking about your Olympics comment. DMo is best served by his agent to not wait. Find something early, like everyone else.

More capspace or not, teams are still going to use it,,,as much as they want/can. And they are going to use it early in the free agent season, not later.

follow me?