1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas unsure he'll be ready

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ico4498, Sep 11, 2015.

1. towW

towW Member

True. Just some food for thought.

2. malakas

malakas Member

no. He has good post defence but not rim protection. Jones is better at rim protecting.
    And btw these rim protecting stats are the best quality defensive stats we have.
    No comparison to stats for wings and guards. They are fairly reliable.
    OFC defence is not only rim protection.

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

When you want to go deep in the playoffs in the West, you damn well need a defensive big to succeed, which is what we are after. D-Mo "clicked" with the team, because he is a better post up option than Dwight and a much better passer. Harden was also much more keyed in defensively early on as well. The other problem with D-Mo as our starting center is that he rebounds like a p***y. Even Beverley was a much better rebounder than D-Mo.

Our team would click much better with Dwight if 1) he would pass out more when he gets doubled in the post instead of keeping it and turning it over and 2) if Dwight would make more than 50% of his FT's. I have no trouble with Dwight's post up game if he could hit his FT's, but he can't so he needs to dedicate himself on the PnR. If he can do that, we will be gold.

4. Normalus

Normalus Member

You mean Valanciunas from Toronto Raptors?
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. malakas

malakas Member

to put it simply. IF dmo is your starter center then you have one of the worst rim protection of the whole league.
    I am sorry but no matter how good is your offence you can't win like that.

6. malakas

malakas Member

yes. Thank you. I think he's a beast in the post. Where do you get these shot charts? I am interested to look up more. (Monroe, Henson). Thanx.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry, you're wrong. DMo's rim protection numbers were very good when he was playing PF. He's not going to do as well against bigger centers though.

As to Jones, you can be happy about his regular season numbers, but he was the 2nd worst rim protecting big in the playoffs last season. The ONLY big worse than Jones was Patrick Patterson and they were only asked to defend PF's so their numbers aren't skewed by having to take on centers.

I know you are one of the biggest Jones fans on this site, but he's not a good defender. He's constantly out of position and any PF with size can just abuse him with ease. Basically the only thing he does on defense worth a damn is his blocks when he gets them.

8. towW

towW Member

The game of basketball is not always won in one area of the game. DMO is big enough to protect the paint enough where his offensive game flourishes.

9. Normalus

Normalus Member

btw, 117/191 61.3%
    I think one of the best searching tools, if not the best - http://nbasavant.com/shot_search.php

10. towW

towW Member

True but you don't necessarily need your Defensive big who rebounds to be your #2 on your team. I mean isn't that what the big men that can't post up supposed to do though.

Those are big ifs. He seems to need the ball once in awhile to throw away some possessions.

11. towW

towW Member

But you are right Chen.

12. towW

towW Member

About getting rid of the ifs.

13. malakas

malakas Member

As primary center. I am gonna look as pf later. As C he's one of the worst at rim protecting. Noone said about post defence. RIM.
    As pf Jones is top 25 at points saved per game. and top 8 at rim fg%. He's no.16 at contest %.

RIM protecting is not ONLY about blocks. I am not one of Jones biggest fans on the site lol :rolleyes:

It's not won in one area of the game but it is absolutely needs rim protection.

thank you again normalus. Appreciated.

14. malakas

malakas Member

yes. It doesn't need to be a star. He can be a roleplayer.

But just so you know these guys are paid top dollar anyway.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Again, you can talk about what he did in the regular season and find metrics that put him in a good light, but you'll have to completely ignore how he did in the playoffs when his true colors showed yet again. Jones isn't even a competent defender. He was the worst defensive PF on the roster last season, and he'll probably be the worst defensive PF on the roster this season.

If you want to talk about something Jones does well, the conversation should center around transition or making open dunks. Stick to things he's actually good at.

16. towW

towW Member

Maybe we need a center that gets paid top dollar but without the top dollar expectation.

17. towW

towW Member

Because the thrown away possessions from missed freethrows, and at times unreliable post game hurt us on the offensive end.

18. marky :)

marky :) Member

Then why would you pay that said player top dollar?

19. malakas

malakas Member

uhm..these stats include the 14-15 season including the POs.
    I don't give a crap about talking what Jones does well. It's only you that thinks that critising an aspect of DMO's game and comparing it with Jones' in passing means that someone wants to talk about Jones game.
    No. This is about DMO and how he can't be a championship caliber's team starting CENTER. Because his rim protection is awful.

20. towW

towW Member

My point exactly.