1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas unsure he'll be ready

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ico4498, Sep 11, 2015.

1. basketballholic

I wish there was some forum software that would stop Rashmon and all posters from going off-topic in threads and then blaming guys like bobby and myself when we comment on the thread after it has gone off course. I also wish there was some forum software that would block all non-basketball posts.

Just discuss the Rockets and the thread, Rashmon. Quit going off-topic and discussing other posters.

2. finsraider

finsraider Member

It's very difficult to judge either player in the context of our starting lineup last year. Too many injuries, to both DMo/TJones and their teammates casts uncertainty on the numbers.

As someone else said, it's all speculation.

My own speculation is that DMo is better, both as a player and fit in the starting lineup. He's the superior shooter, post player, passer and defender. He is effective off ball as a shooter and on ball as a post threat. That comes from a mix of watching the game and a tiny bit of basic stats.

TJones is the better ball handler, slasher, rebounder and rim protector. His game depends more on opportunities created for him than DMo's does, which is why some suggest that he's the better fit with our ball dominant starters. But his strengths and weaknesses are somewhat similar to Dwight and Capelas, which gives us problems in the playoffs when teams clog the paint.

Im really hoping for a healthy season, because I want to see how this plays out. If TJones develops a somewhat reliable jumper, this team is virtually unbeatable. Imagine if both Dwight and Harden sit, but we're able to build on our lead with a lineup of Lawson, Thornton, Brewer, DMo, and Capela....

3. towW

towW Member

At times last season DMO looked even better than Howard next to Harden. With Howard out.

4. malakas

malakas Member

I don't like resorting to insults. I only have two people in my ignorelist that are crazy from the DnD forums. I just ignore when Bobby and hollic get too crazy because they just don't deserve a response. But other than the crazy parts I believe we can have a conversation that is civil and somewhat productive. Maybe I'm naive I don't know.
    Anyway polarising from either "side" is not good. You can say you like DMO better than Jones without that meaning that Jones is trash and valued as a 2nd rounder.

No. Can you tell me when and more info? Because as far I know Morrey doesn't come in public talking about failed trades of players still on the roster.
    So please say.:rolleyes:

5. malakas

malakas Member

Looked in what way? Post game? Because I can tell you that rim protection, challenging shots, block %,rebounding, in general defence he is far from equal to Dwight. Also demanding double teams and respect from the other teams defence (thath makes the other players on the roster better).

6. towW

towW Member

You might find this interesting. Here we go... Didn't want to get into it but, the team as a whole looked better with DMO. The ball moved fast and crisply to the open man or DMO in the post with the automatic hook. Dmo was a beast down low on the offensive end. This may sound crazy but IMO DMO's offense could be equal to and sometimes better than Dwight's impact on the defensive end.

7. towW

towW Member

I've stated this in other forums but I think he was second in hook shots made last year.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well there's no question that DMo is better in the post than Dwight Howard. That's not in any way a controversial statement, but Dwight brings a lot more to the table when it comes to rebounding and is on another level defensively.

9. towW

towW Member

I know it sounds crazy. My MyTeam always has a defensive big that can oop.

10. towW

towW Member

But when all players on the court can shoot that's when you know you have a dangerous team. Just swing it to the open man.

11. towW

towW Member

And probably beating a dead horse but when Dwight gets fouled that thing is not going in. So everytime he's in the paint. All they have to do is foul. I know what you all mean when you say that's good then they get into foul trouble. But when we aren't hitting free throws then those free throws aren't free anymore.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well I don't think there is any reason why Dwight and DMo won't do very well out there together. Dwight covers up DMo's biggest weakness and DMo has the post game and shooting ability you'd want out there leaving Dwight open to dominate the boards and be the general beast he can be.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

5 kyle korvers

vs.

5 rajon rondos

14. marky :)

marky :) Member

Are you backing up your opinion(not saying you're wrong or right) about DMo based on your NBA2k team? :confused:

15. Normalus

Normalus Member

Hibbert made one more in less attempts I believe.

Hibbert 129/210 61.4%
    Motiejunas 128/227 56.4%

But look at variety...DMo also uses Turnaround Hook Shot much more often than Roy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Easy, the 5 Rajon Rondo's fight to the death while the 5 Kyle Korvers play the game and win.

17. malakas

malakas Member

well..the thing is that a championship caliber team can't be all offence. Rim protection is a MUST. You can't just say this because what Dwight gives it's not only absolutely neccesary to winning titles but also at a high premium.

Ofc Dwight's so called post ups are bad for ball movement and much less inefficient than DMO's. But what he brings is much more neccesary than DMO.
    Unless DMO can improve his rim protection at least.

Rim protection comparison DMO vs Howard
    Points saved per 36
    Dmo: 5.9
    D12: 7.9
    RIM%ALLOWED
    contest % (very very important stat)
    44.3%
    54.9%
    RIM FG% allowed as primary defender
    58.4%
    50.2%

That's with DMO playing the 5.
    Jones has better rim protecting stats btw even as pf (except ofc the rim fg% as primary that it's natural between pf and c positions).
    For comparison pnts /36 saved
    Gobert 12,3 Bogut 12,1 Whiteside 11.2 kanter 4.2 bargnani 3.9 .
    Dwight is middle DMO is 8th worst. (including scrubs like Sims, Jason Smith and Tarik Black).
    At contest % DMO is 5th worst. (again including Sims and Jason Smith who are at best third bigs off the bench).

anyway dmo's rim protecting advanced stats are hiddeous.

18. towW

towW Member

No I'm just saying I prefer a defensive Big that can dunk. But when I saw our team clicking as a whole with DMo as our center it just proved that you don't necessarily need a defensive big.

19. malakas

malakas Member

OT but do you have these for Val? I like his post game a lot.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well DMo is absolutely our best defensive PF, and he held his own as well as could be expected when he was taking over for Dwight, but he's just a lot better when he plays his natural position. With Dwight, Capela, and DMo in the rotation we have 3 good defensive big men on the team. That alone is going to be huge this season.