1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas & Post Defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Normalus

Normalus Member

His perimeter defense is awful tho, he was very bad P&R defender as well (improved a bit). When he's healthy - he can be average defender, took a lot of offensive charges, not bad on help defense.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

... and what in the world would make you say that? The box out joke? There's like 3 other box out jokes on this page, but thanks for the amazing compliment though.

I've watched almost every single game Dmo has played as a Rocket, I know his game about as well as anybody else on this board. I like Dmo a lot, there's little I appreciate more in basketball then nifty post moves, they are so damn entertaining to watch (I miss watching the Argentinian tango, plz come back Scola).

As for the thread topic, Dmo played horrible defense his first two season, average/solid defense last year, then back to bad defense this year, likely because surgery but who knows if he will ever return to what he once was, back surgery isn't a joke.

That being said, in my eyes we chose Ryan Anderson over Dmo. I don't know if that was the right choice or not right now, but I don't feel like they would do well with extended minutes together on defense at all. I wouldn't feel comfortable with the Rockets matching anything short of a bargain deal really.

Neither are respectable rebounders, shot blockers, quick laterally, strong or have verticals.

3. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Whadda****? What kind of insight is that?

DMo 's value is predicated on his play in the NBA, before and post injury, and the prognosis for a full recovery from his injury (he wasn't 100% last season when he played) and how likely his injury will repeat or limit him in future.

There are few teams with cap space left now after the free agency splurge.

My guess is the Brooklyn Nets could go after him if either or both of their RFA signings Johnson and Crabbe gets matched.

4. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

It's a training session, the players are supposed to go back and practice it, and put it into practice with people defending them.

Hakeem can't do everything.

It's like a shooting coach will teach you the mechanics, but the players still have to put up 500-1000 reps a day, then have defenders mimicking the close outs on them.