1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas & Post Defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Being 7 ft bulked up some before his partial breakout season and he's not a center. Man he can play both positions.

But hey I understand so many wanted Dmo to be Dirk 2.0.

Malakas you're spot on. Not too many teams have legit dominate post up players. Only a small percentage of teams does. But again people will come up with all kinds of excuses around here.

Where is 6'5 Chuck Hayes when you need him. Wasnt a Center but when called upon to do so, he gave it his all.

2. malakas

malakas Member

I have explained it in big detail in the DMO is our saviour thread. I am not gonna go through the trouble of looking up all the stats AGAIN.

Dmo is not good at detering players from attacking. Which is the best sign of a good rim protector.
    These stats from last RS have even removed the DI for some reason.

3. Nook

Nook Member

DMO is a solid defender when he has an anchor next to him that keeps players from getting into the lane and alters shots. The problem is that the Rockets do not have that type of player. A front line of Anderson and Motiejunas would offer zero rim protection.

I don't really see how this has been a "terrible offseason" honestly. The Rockets were never getting Durant. They were in on Horford and Bazemore. The Rockets are a better team than when the season ended.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Yup...... basically this.

5. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Agrreed. We have removed "mental head cases" and added shooters. By default all phases should improve on the court this coming season as a result

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'll give you his poor shot blocking. The poor guy just doesn't have that in him.

His rebounding is more complicated, though. Sure, the raw numbers aren't where you'd like them to be. But if you watch him closely, when the ball is on its way to the rim, D-Mo is the only one on our team who locates the man who needs to be boxed out and then does it. He loses a couple of rebounds every game because he's boxing out and letting a teammate grab the ball.

D-Mo isn't the guy who goes after every missed shot like a madman, but he helps the TEAM get rebounds.

Of course, there's no publicly available stat for how many times someone boxes out and loses a rebound to a teammate. I can guarantee you Maori tracks that, though.
    <BR>

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good post, most people that understand the game can see he is a good defender.

DD

8. Tadow

Tadow Member

In one of his first games back against the clippers last season, he really impressed me going up against Blake Griffin in the short amount of time he was in. He was getting under Blake's skin. If he is healthy this year he should be a + defender.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

DMo box outs are the real MVP

10. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

of course he can play center being a 7footer. but thats not his true position. he's not strong enough to be a full time center. to say he cant rebound or defend centers is idiotic. of course he cant cuz he's not strong enough. he shouldnt be relied on for that.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

DMo is a box out phenom.

Sometimes I catch myself watching him box out and ignore the rest of the action.

12. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He isn't scared of a challenge and did his best to hold his composure... Dude can pass and knows how the game works... If only something could bless him with health..

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

D-Mo will be one of our top 3 bigs, the guy is too hard a worker to not make it IMO. I've rarely seen someone with his commitment and work ethic. He's had a mediocre career thus far but I would always bet on a hard worker, especially one with a couple of NBA skills already.

14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Is DMo playing in the Olympics? His value will be determined there if he does and he's not signed by then.

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

No. He is dedicating this summer on strengthening his back. He released a statement earlier.

1 person likes this.
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Hakeem had the dream shake...

Kareem had the sky hook

Iverson had the cross over

Gervin had the finger role

Motiejunas has the box out

1 person likes this.
  17. crash5179

This move came after videos of DMo working out with Hakeem. By the way, notice how physical DMo is with Gasol during the move.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GuzHS2Yvxos" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5fPsZx8E03o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. don grahamleone

I wish Hakeem would do all of his teaching with a man guarding his students. The reason for why you keep the ball low and at your hip is completely lost in these lessons. The reason for turning on a point that moves you no closer to the opponent matters. The Dream's moves are all about manipulating your man. You gotta have a defender to truly get setting them up for the kill.

19. don grahamleone

It's like you've never watched him. You're amazing.

20. crash5179

Dream was like a Gazelle, Rhino & Cheeta all mixed into one. Grace, power & speed; one of a kind.