1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas now a restricted free agent, no qualifying offer for Terrence Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He should just sign the QO. If he plays well he will get max money next year.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Is the QO $5 million, or $3.4 million. Seems meaningful enough of a difference.

I think, despite all athletes thinking they're the best and amazing, etc. DMo has to recognize the downside here. Dude was out for a while and back problems are serious.

Even more than that, even if completely healthy, even considering a MDA fast paced offense, I don't think the opportunities are amazing for DMo, unless its that super rare scenario where he's all of a sudden amazing, his 3 point percentage is 37%+, he's rebounding at his personal best clips, etc. And while that's possible... it seems unlikely.

Because with a front-court that now includes Clint, Ryan Anderson, Nene, Beasley, Harrell, well that seems a ore crowded frontcourt then the year he excelled. Remember in that year it was basically him and TJones until Josh showed up. Howard played 41 games on and off.

Anderson is a better offensive player than DMo and they're both equally bad rebounders. DMo is better defensively. Same with Beasley. Nene and Capela are better defensively. Harrell brings more energy and upside.

I mean, there's definitely a shot that a healthy DMo, at his best, in MDA's system, can man the center spot alongside Anderson and be an interesting combo. But there's as likely a shot that experiment completely fails, even if both DMo and Ryan are playing great offensive basketball.

All of which is to say, I'd be happy to have DMo back, and think he can be value additive to this squad... but just from his perspective he's got to recognize there's lots of risk for him payday wise.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

please be realistic here. nobody is giving dmo max money

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

$4.433m. Calvin Watkins had the number wrong in his article yesterday. $3.4m was the normal QO, but DMo got the higher one for qualifying for starter pay.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Gotcha. Thanks.

Still closer to $4 than $5.

Think if DM tries to pull a $6+$6 type deal, I can see DMo saying no way.

But $8 + $8 seems unlikely for him to pass, even if it is a team option.

Isn't there also a way to do partially guarantee'd that next year. Maybe something like $8 + $8 team option, but $1 million guarantee'd the next year. So if a team didn't pick up the 2nd year option, they're still on the hook for that $1 million?

All of which I think is too generous for a guy whose "good stretch" after finally coming back from a back injury... was actually horrible.

I know people hate PER, but Zeller is consistently 15+ PER. DMo was still under 15 his good year. And I much rather have Ezeli than DMo. But I guess they are at least relative, valid comps.