1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas now a restricted free agent, no qualifying offer for Terrence Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

There was a time when Jones outplayed DMo to gain the starting spot. SMH.

2. basketballholic

Sorry to say I partially agree with you. The emphasis from day 1 with Terrence should have been totally rebuilding his jump shot. Somehow that slipped through the cracks. I have called for years for us to have a top notch dedicated shooting coach similar to the Spurs and Chip Engelland. A shooting coach needs to be a dedicated technician of breaking down the jump shot and building players into better shooters. I don't see that guy in our organization. You can't mesh shooting coach duties with other coaching duties. It's a full-time job and if done right is worth the salary you pay the guy.

If Terrence would have been plugged into a shooting practice system as soon as we drafted him then he could have possibly developed into something. But that didn't happen and then we decided to work with him to bulk up and be a power big. Whomever made those decisions was grasping at straws. That was the blunt end of any chance for Terrence to become a decent player for us. I knew as soon as he started lifting and gaining weight that it was over.

My greater disappointment than that though was the failure of this organization to realize they should trade him for whatever max value they could get when he peaked. The team has access to all the data I have access to and more. They should have known it was time to trade him.

#122 basketballholic, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  3. conquistador#11

once the hunted, now the hunter!

4. Rocket_Man_2.0

Gotta resign this guy too...he's one of the best post up bigs in the league! It takes about a year to recover from back surgery..he'll be back to his old self...don't let him get away!

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Look at how he actually had the balls to refer to himself as "their betters" as if he's the freaking anointed pharaoh of the basketball forums or something. Gives you an insight to his mindset. What an obnoxious piece of s#$%. I wonder what kind of person this guy is in real life with normal human interactions that require basic human courtesy. Must be a real peach.

Just because Jones had the worst season ever as a Rocket doesn't mean that I or anyone else should refuse to give him credit for the FACT that he was a contributing member of the Houston Rockets for 2 seasons. The Jones haters live in this fantasy world where explaining to them that he was actually on the team and played the game of basketball blows their mind and they have to respond as if you are claiming he was the runner up for MVP or something.

The guy sucked last season, but the Rockets got relatively moderate value for the 18th pick in the draft for the 2 seasons he actually played okay for a role player. That's how the Terrence Jones with the Houston Rockets story ends as a narrative of the entire story.... not just the ending. Jones needs to move on (which he is because he's no longer on the team), and these idiots need to move on as well.

1 person likes this.
  6. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Yeah for some reason dude thinks he's the messiah of sports talk around here for sure. I just knew he would act like this once Jones had a bad season. I'm like dude you were wrong for 2 years straight. And to be honest you're wrong now because injuries are Jones's downfall. Well along with the fact that they all lost their confidence with one another. So they stopped playing for each other.

Agreed it's time to move on. Jones isn't a Rocket anymore.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Great post. Rep given.

8. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">24-year-old Terrence Jones could be value rental. Coming off rough year, so looking to restore value, but career per 36: 15.5 ppg, 8.6 rpg</p>&mdash; Tim MacMahon (@espn_macmahon) <a href="https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/749460027845423109">July 3, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He could sign a 2 year deal with the 2nd being a player option, find a place where he fits, and will get a lot of playing time and resurrect his career.

DD

10. wekko368

wekko368 Member

You've seen the movie "the big short", right? Investors recognized the weak fundamentals of mortgage backed securities and bet against them. However, it took years for the housing market to collapse and for those investments to pay off. During those years, the investors incurred continual losses.

In your opinion, were those investors right all along? Or were they wrong for several years and right for one?

11. Amir's Johnson

Not sure if true, friend of mine talked to D-Mo tonight and he said he's going to Brooklyn.

12. malakas

malakas Member

They have according to estimates right tnow 23 million available capspace. So wouldn't surprise me if they made aggresive offers to RFAs.
    Crabbe, Harkless and DMO.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'm not gonna be happy if we lose DMo for nothing; like we did with Dwight, Jones, Parsons, Dragic, etc...

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yeah I don't think having Dmo and Anderson on the same team is a good idea, rather not match his inevitable 15+ per year million dollar deal.

Our PF rotation will likely be Anderson/Beasley/Harrell/Ariza which is pretty horrible defensively (besides small ball Ariza) and rebounding wise (outside of Beasley who is average).

Dmo was average on defense last season, but returned back to his cringe worth defense this year. I also don't like the idea of having two centers that are too damn skinny to defend the actual BIG men in the league with Capela/Dmo. Dmo's upper body got bigger, but his legs must be weak or something because he still gets pushed around a lot. Don't like Dmo's rebounding at center, he would need a great rebounding PF next to which we don't have. Don't like Dmo having a bad back playing against the C's and not PF's. Dmo will be paid way to much to keep him as a situation role player, his weaknesses overlap too much with our newly acquired long term and highly paid PF.

Much rather sign or trade for a vet that has good size/strength and is defense/rebounding oriented. Bad news is big's are getting WAY too overpaid this summer.

I like Aldrich and Zeller for cheap (6-8 mill per) but i'm scared they will get 12-15 million or something stupid like that.

Ezeli is still on the market but we KNOW he will get a stupid big contract.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

There's a reason why Dmo was traded at the deadline for a pick... Morey DIDN'T want to loose him for nothing. It's too late now, there is no value to be had in return. We aren't a threat to re-sign him if he gets offered a huge contract and teams know that.

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

Maybe they should make two similar offers to Crabbe and Harkless, not sure Portland can or want to keep both after they signed Turner...?

17. Aruba77

I think we need to package DMo and perhaps a draft pick for Vucivic

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What's the incentive for Orlando to do that? They already have a surplus of big's, that's why they would move Vuc. Plus Dmo has a bad back and Vucevic is a clear cut superior player who's on a cheap long term contract.

I'd be super happy if we can S&T Dmo to the Nets for a top 55 protected 1st if they take Brewer off our hands.

19. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

We need another wing who can start at SF, who can handle the ball and create his own shot.

20. Aruba77

I understand the Magic are shopping Vucivic because they signed Bizmack, but figured they still may need someone to spell ibaka at the 4. Anyway, I'd like to see what we could put together to get Vucivic.

At this point the Brew contract isn't even much of a killer with the cap as crazy as it is. I mean, we just gave $20 mil a year to Ryan Anderson.