1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas now a restricted free agent, no qualifying offer for Terrence Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Nook

Nook Member

You forgot:

ROMNEY IN 2012!!!!! BOOK IT!

2. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

So ur saying he's either staying or leaving. U so smart.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

for More or less

4. OTMax

OTMax Member

So many insiders!!!

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/l3E6M20qpv6b46Jzy" width="480" height="239" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://giphy.com/gifs/fallontonight-jimmy-fallon-tonight-show-mind-blown-l3E6M20qpv6b46Jzy">via GIPHY</a></p>

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Hold on, you forgot:

"Or, with God as my witness, I'll never post here again! If I have to crawl, steal, cheat, or lie, as God is my witness....I'll never post here again!"

Cue "GWTW" music....

"....except when I come back with a couple different usernames...."

All kidding aside, I still think a S&T is the likely thing here. Seems DMo would have signed here in Houston already if that's the deal. Besides, why spend $20,000,000 on Ryan Anderson?

6. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

What a joke.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Self-confirmed Insider "Rockets Insider" already confirmed Dan Tony wants DMo as his "main PF"! Do you dare doubt this legendary insider????

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Maybe, maybe no.

9. alethios

alethios Member

Just like the Rubio hot take. It's happening!

[​IMG]

U mad bro?

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Listen, many of my friends, and these are very reputable people, are saying there are a lot of issues here.

You're gonna be amazed at what they're finding, believe me.

It will be tremendous. Tremendous.

1 person likes this.
  11. Rokman

Rokman Member

It's gonna be BIG, It's gonna be BEAUTIFUL! It's gonna be YUUUUUGGE!

12. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

#neverdoubtbbhaulic

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Someone tell this guy in the back I still have one term left.

[​IMG]

14. jogo

jogo Member

I thought DMo would be a SnT piece because he wants to go to a team where he'll have a bigger role (too many PFs here). But now I'm starting to see that the SnT may just be wishful thinking on my part. If no one wants to sign Dmo (it's looking like this is the case), then why would they want to trade for him? I mean maybe they want to trade mediocre players for him or something. I think Dmo has value but I am a Rockets fan and biased a bit. That back is still a big issue.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Either the back is an issue or the S&T situation has to wait out certain factors / distractions (Olympics, who can be included in a trade and when, etc).

16. heypartner

The other team would want the SnT to guarantee Rockets don't match an offer sheet. You would have to overpay him to not get matched. So a trade is the onetime fee you pay the Rockets in order to get DMo at market. The fee is a 1st round pick. And the delay could be due to signed first round picks in 2016 can't be traded for 30 days. (So someone should make a table of the signing dates of each draft pick.)

This is what's so strange about basketballholic's speculation that a SnT means DMo gets a big contract, overpayment. He needs that to be true, because his source -- the ESPN Trade Machine -- tells him we can't get Rubio unless DMo's salary matches it

Bottomline: The SnT scenario is because the rockets want something back in order to not match. If teams were willing to overpay DMo above the matching ceiling, they don't need a SnT

1 person likes this.
  17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Don't forget that the Rockets, by no longer being significantly enough below the salary cap, face (what used to be called) Base Year Compensation issues with D-Mo. Essentially, his outgoing value in a sign-and-trade scenario would only be 50% of his starting salary; yet his incoming value to the other team would be his full starting salary. Hence, in order to make a S&T work with D-Mo for salary-matching purposes, other players (perhaps on both sides) would probably need to be involved.

I'm not saying that D-Mo will be signed-and-traded. I'm just throwing it out there that a S&T would not be the easiest thing to accomplish.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Again, my guess is that he signs the QO and becomes an UFA next year.

DD

19. heypartner

The scenario in my post was for trading to a team that will use cap space to absorb the contract, hence giving us a 1st rounder back, only. Isn't that possible?

[edit] my possible explanation of a SnT is that an offer sheet would be matched. Thus, is that scenario the other team has the cap space for the offer, but does the trade instead to not be matched.

#1259 heypartner, Aug 11, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seems like he will just take the QO - no one has an incentive to offer him a great contract, Rockets know this, and have a year to see how he does and if he is able to return to form before risking a multi-year deal.