1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas now a restricted free agent, no qualifying offer for Terrence Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Jun 30, 2016.

1. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

Since Corey was waived by the Knicks when D'Antoni was the coach,
    I'm not worried about him playing 20+ minutes a game despite having one of worst shooting seasons in NBA history next season.

The Rockets' regular season point differential was +.1, so getting rid of dead weight and replacing it with competent NBA players should turn last season's losses into wins. "How did Terrence Jones go -24 in 12 minutes!?"

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

They should get rid of both.

3. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I mean, no, Jones will probably never be poor, but like I said, it's about expectations. You have a reasonable expectation that you'll be in a significantly better position very soon, and it turns out when you get there you might be in a worse position? That's a tough pill to swallow for anyone, at almost any level.

And don't forget that an athlete is only an injury away from being done forever, or in Jones' case, washing out. Let's say worst case scenario, he gets a $3m one year contract but gets injured and never plays in the NBA again after that. That ups his career earnings to 7.6ish. After taxes, that's about $4.56M. He'll be 25, looking for a second career. I'm not exactly sure what Jones' background is, but whatever his second career is, his income potential will be far less than playing in the NBA. He was never a big deal brand wise, so I doubt he has much in the way of endorsements, etc. Let's say he manages to pull a sweet assistant coaching job back at his alma mater, Kentucky for $100,000 a year. And lets say he saved at least $4M of his career earnings from the NBA. That means he could comfortably live on $170K until he turned 65. Is that a ton of money? Yeah, absolutely. But it's still a far cry from being next level rich, which he would have been if he got even one contract that paid him $15M total.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

He will rejoice as if he was right but the fact was at the time Jones was a contributor and this season he was not. He's no prophet to know he was going to poop the bed this year, and if the Rockets could never get good value for him, what was ever the point in trading him just to trade him? To maybe sign Seth Curry? That's about the highest upside of trading him years ago and this past year.

The way I look at it the Rockets got two productive years for a role player on a rookie contract for the 18th pick in the draft. It's not the story book ending but they at least benefited from a couple good value seasons in a late 1st rounder.

Good luck to TJ and I'm sure a change of scenery will be good for him. In two years when he's playing for Toronto or wherever I wouldn't be shocked if Morey gets hammered on here for not retaining him if he's halfway decent in the future. That's how CF roll.

5. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

Maybe he'll get a better man cave at his next destination.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL even now you're keeping this nonsense up? Wow....just wow. The kid isn't worth a QO and yet you hold out hope that you were right all along when you were embarrassing yourself going to bat for him as a player.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

uh, that's called life.

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

But Jones is the next Chris Bosh!

9. hvic

hvic Member

street bums in China knows kung fu so Tjones better watch out lol

1 person likes this.
  10. alethios

alethios Member

It's a business, and I think Jones understands this. He'll land on feet somewhere, maybe even his old stomping grounds.

11. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Also shows teams need to be budget wise on the guys who are 9th to 13th in the rotation. You can't pay the 2nd and 3rd best player $26 mil or 6th to 8th guys $12 mil to $22 mil and still throw money at deep bench guys.

The Hornets thought they were wise to extend Lamb back in Nov for 3 years @ $7 mil per, but now they're trying to dump him to resign free agents. They can't offer Lin or Lee $8 mil per and expect a good response.

They gave a QO to Troy Daniels because he's a better 3P shooter and should be much cheaper than Lamb.

12. mightybosstone

The posters acting as if Jones is going to play overseas now or something are crazy. In this market, Jones will probably easily still make $5M+ per season for 2-3 years. There are a lot of cellar dwellers in this league that would take a chance on a young guy with potential like him. I'm just glad it wasn't Houston. I'm done with TJones' "potential."

As for DMo, this was a foregone conclusion. I hope he's back in a Rockets uniform next season. I just hope he's healthy, that he's not starting and that he's playing for a reasonable contract.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Will you just F-ing block me you fu$%ing moron? You lack reading comprehension, and get off on trying to pick fights when if you would actually read what I say, instead of painting me into a Terrence Only Fan. Nobody wanted Terrence trade for value more than me, but you won't read into that at all... you NEED a Terrence Only fan to keep your shtick up. Go F yourself.

1 person likes this.
  14. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, i bet this has a lot to do with his nerve injury.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wasn't calling you a Terrence only fan, I was just pointing out how you embarrassed yourself for years due to terrible basketball analysis skills. Don't lash out kiddo, you've done enough.

16. alethios

alethios Member

[​IMG]

17. gotsis

gotsis Member

Funny to think that the two players that probably lost the most money in a year's span, played for the Rockets: Terrance Jones and The Lawson.

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lolol, well he can maybe be like a one way if you add up both parts of his Off and Def (okay, probably not even then)... But yeah... This is a really bad for him, haha lowly Rockets didn't even make offer.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Shut up Bobby.

1 person likes this.
  20. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

No need to trash every player that leaves the Rockets. Farewell Jones.