1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas Highlights 19pts @Nuggets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Normalus, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Raven

Raven Member

If he finishes the season healthy, get used to saying D-Max instead of D-Mo.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

At least one dude in the Rockets playing well.

He needs to start with Dwight. They offset each other's weaknesses and complement their strengths

3. omgTHEpotential

Pretty much this. Both players have glaring weaknesses, but they're playing really well together, despite DMo being a 7footer. I actually think that DMo wouldn't be that terrible playing the center position if we actually had an elite rebounder/defender as a PF (similar to how Spurs used Splitter together with Duncan). However, we do not have such a player. So we must use DMo as a PF exclusively.

4. OpenLayup-Why3?

Remember that game this season when Jones had 2 rebounds at 30 minute mark? Of course YOU don't remember.
    I'm literally ignoring every single one in here complaining about DMo's rebounding. Dude scores efficient 19 in 21 minutes - half of comments about lack of rebounds.
    Harden scores 30 on 40 attempts and everyone mad in love with Haren, ignoring the fact he's madly inefficient, can't finish with right hand AT ALL, plays NEGATIVE defense, not even a thing, but that's Haren way.

5. Mr. Clutch

DMos rebounding is a problem in certain lineups. If we go small with him as the big, we get killed on the boards.

Maybe we should try DMo plus Montrezl

6. OpenLayup-Why3?

I'm not saying DMo is a good rebounder, I'm saying people who expect rebounds from him are ignorant. Howard and DMo played 7,9 minutes together last night. +4 in plus minus. Even though Rockets grabbed 1 total rebound in those 7,9 minutes.

Playing 4 guards and a skilled PF who is not a garbage man at center is not DMo's fault. Blame Bickerstaff. Blame Morey for having just 2 NBA caliber bigs in that game. Zero C and PF depth, but tons of guards for some reason, yet Haren plays 40 mins.

7. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Yes I know I'm ignorant for expecting rebounds from the rockets tallest player and only 7 footer LOL. I'm ecstatic to see DMO out ther balling like he did last night (it was awesome to watch) but they weren't just slightly out rebounded, they got their butts handed to them on the glass by a differnce of 26 boards. Give him some time and he'll start grabbing some boards and Bickerstaff needs to start him next to Howard already. Let's get this thing going and I want to see DMO light up LMA when the rockets play the Spurs.

8. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

DMo gonna be the only player on the team deserving of a max

9. Mr. Clutch

It will be interesting next year.

Dwight almost definitely gone IMO.

We have Harden as our max guy. Do we pair DMo with him and look for a third max guy? Or do we just completely start over with Harden?

10. chandlerbang21

Morey gonna have to Max Dmo just to keep him while letting jones walk. He can offer low salaries of 8 mill a year like he did with ariza and brewer and be forced to match 2 max contracts.

11. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

had same thought.

12. omgTHEpotential

Why max? What team would be willing to give DMo the max? I don't think he's max level player, unless he not only gets back to last years performance, but also improves on it. If he ends up averaging 18ppg/8rpg/3apg on 50/40/70 shooting and good defense, then yeah, you can give him the max.

13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

You're crazy if you think everyone is in love with Harden at the moment. Are you just ignoring the criticism? Half the comments are about his lazy defense and deservedly so. Everyone is glad that DMo can score an efficient 19, but there's going to be concern when he's our tallest player and we get outrebounded 52 to 26 in a loss.

Bigs are expected to rebound. Period. Brook Lopez averaged 20ppg on great efficiency, but also averaged 6rpg in 36 minutes. The league's reaction was "meh...". No one said he was a bad player, but that's a big freaking hole in his game.

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

I think we're all kind of saying that's who we think DMo's going to be this year.

It's pretty clear, even after just a few good games, that the Rocket's offense needs to revolve around Harden and DMo. And its not even that those are the two guys that can create their own shot.....they've also got great synergy together. The offense looked fantastic when both were on the floor.

15. Mr. Clutch

I think because the cap going up, giving DMo the max next year is going to be much less than the max in 2-3 years.

Maybe Bima can run the numbers.

I think a lot of teams will look for a stretch 4 who can post.

16. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Teams can cover for a big that is a mediocre rebounder, but they can't cover for a big that's a terrible rebounder like DMo. If all our guards have to hang back in order to get the rebound, that kills the teams ability to get out on the break. If they don't hang back, we get killed via 2nd chance points. That's exactly what we saw happen last night.

It's too bad really, because DMo is a nice cog in offense (his post game and passing in particular) and is a capable positional defender. But his rebounding is Mo Taylor atrocious. I wouldn't pay him the max and I'd also consider trading him for the right return.

17. omgTHEpotential

Why are you making stuff up?

Mo Taylor is career 4.5rpg PER36 rebounder.
    Andrea Bargnani is a career 5.8rpg PER36 rebounder.

DMo is a career 7.5rpg PER36 rebounder.

Some of the 00ers on this forum are pretty ridiculous.

18. DMO (DJ remix)

Dmo seems to have no lift still, he barely jumps (even for his standarts lol), i hope he does improve in that area, wondering how much is that still part of recovery or him being a little bit cautious with all of it.

19. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Per 36 is an imaginary stat used to predict how a player might respond to increased minutes.

Besides, you got it wrong - Mo Taylor averaged 6.6 per36.

http://m.bkref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXtXXtayloma01.html&t=2

Bargnani is worse - but I don't want him on this team at all and would never propose trading DMo for him.

My point stands...

20. omgTHEpotential

Yeah I looked at his defensive rebounds (4.5).

Still doesn't change the fact that DMo is a better rebounder. Mo Taylor also wasn't a 3pt shooter so he doesn't even have an excuse of stretching the floor and that limiting his rebounding. If you had DMo not shooting threes at all and just playing under the basket I'm sure his rebounding would go up to 8-9.

As far as PER36 being inaccurate? In some cases yeah, if a player averages 5-10mpg it could be deceiving. But if 20mpg is enough to judge the rebounding tendencies.

I won't stop you from pushing your "DMo being a terrible rebounder" narrative though. The truth is he might not be a good or above average defender. You could call him a below average rebounder for his positions for sure. But you're going way too far here.