1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas gone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

My best guess regarding the physical is that he just was not healing consistent with expectations after the surgery . He is probably healthy enough to play but maybe his back will always be weaker and there is now a limit to his potential as an athlete.

When you think about it the rockets have a great deal of experience given we had Dwight Howard . We could see how Dwight healed from surgery and how it effected his athleticism .

I remember hearing something like Dwight would not have passed a physical so we waived it and thought he would heal enough over time . Maybe he never really did , or maybe he did and Dmo has not .

The timelines match fairly well too . Dwight had the surgery before his first year in LA and played through it but poorly and then we signed him over the summer . Dmo had the surgery at a fairly similar time in the year and wasn't ready for the season ... That's cool Dwight prolly came back too soon anyways. But then as the season dragged on he never fully got over it ... Again fine back injuries and surgeries take a long time to fully heal from .

But NOW , almost a two full years after the surgery maybe he hasn't made as much progress as hoped .

Really who the **** knows

2. ksny15

ksny15 Member

19-7 without DMo. Team is playing fantastic and has great chemistry. This didn't hurt the team at all. They could have POTENTIALLY gotten better but we would be banking on 15 DMO coming back. But this doesn't hurt the team in the least bit.

3. PeppermintCandy

Unless the Utah Jazz rumors are true, it's got to be hell for Motiejunas right now. Sure he's an unrestricted free agent, but he's now on the market after allegedly having failed two physicals of two separate teams and may have gotten himself a reputation as a malcontent in the process.

And I don't think he was that interested in the UFA status in the first place, or else he would have taken the qualifying offer this season. I think he was looking to maximize his earning power and get some semblance of security now when he still could play, even if he had to sign a team-friendly deal to do so.

But now he has to go back out there and get himself a contract with a potentially unreliable back. Gotta feel for the guy.

DonKnock and snowconeman22 like this.
  4. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Im with you about that the main problem are Dmo and his stupid agent, and Dmo should go to the physical.
    Dmo didnt respect the rules, but that doesnt allow us to change a contract that was match

5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Yeah except that this situation was self created . At multiple times he could have had anywhere from 4.4 to 9.3 (8.3 with rockets ) THIS YEAR .

I think that it will take a while for him to build back up his value ... If he ever does

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Personally, I don't feel for him at all. If he showed up to the physical when we matched, none of this BS would have happened. Hell, if he took the QO or signed our first offer, none of this would have happened.

PeppermintCandy likes this.
  7. chenjy9

Supporting Member

We changed it because we wanted him back and it was legal. Morey has an entire legal department that would have told him it wasn't otherwise.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

NO - the main problem was with his back. The Rockets wanted him. They would have put up with anything.

But that back must have been degenerative and the doctors must have concluded this thing wasn't going to end well or last very long.

DMO and his agent already knew this - which is why they wanted to get the best deal possible because dmo was in trouble - he knew his career was going to be short-lived.

da_juice and YaoMing#1 like this.
  9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You haven't explained how Morey screwed up. Your criticism so far is Morey did not cave in, which is frankly unfair. If a 2nd/3rd string guy with no leverage can make Morey cave in to his demands just by whining, how could the Rockets negotiate anything from now on?

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

But if DMo failed his physical, then all the Rockets had to do to "get out of this" is say he failed his physical. Then the new contract is void, DMo remains an RFA and they can renounce the rights to him if they want. All these other shenanigans would have been unnecessary if that were the case.

Regardless, I just hope we hear the whole story some day. This is an extraordinary situation.

11. chenjy9

Supporting Member

It's because some folks have the IQ of a peanut. That's how Trump ended up getting elected.

12. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I really hope that D-Mo isn't both healthy and able to sign with any team he wants (except Brooklyn) at this point. If both of those things are true and BJ got away with if I will be very upset.

Otherwise, if the Rockets didn't sign him I trust that Morey had a good reason.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  13. chenjy9

Supporting Member

With only one guaranteed year, we could have easily waived his physical and just dumped him when his back went out.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am kind of at the point that . . .BJ WINNING and DMO WINNING are not the same thing
    I am disappointed in DMo but I think he was a tool . . a wedge for BJ . . . . I think BJ's other clients might
    benefit more from this than DMo

Rocket River

Easy and snowconeman22 like this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He played hardball till he lost the player....how is it hard to understand that is screwing up?

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Everyone is saying he at least a month from being in game shape . . . maybe 2
    So it would be d*mn near March before we would have really known what we were getting

Rocket River

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

Dekker haters from last year, this is bad for the Rockets. It could mean more Ryno type contracts. This won't endear Morey with the players and their agents.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that's awesome, but early success means nothing. Right now the Rockets are depending on performance from several players that ALWAYS get hurt, what happens if this year isn't a fluke healthy season by Ryan Anderson, and Nene, and Gordon? There's just no way to spin it, losing out on DMo is a negative, we'll find out just how negative it'll be. For all we know, it won't be significant, so perhaps this won't matter.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. Remlap

Remlap Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.