1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donaghy on D&C: Refs favoring Magic

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Melechesh, May 27, 2010.

1. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/2121995/donaghy-dc-refs-favoring-magic

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

Wouldn't surprise me, with all the fould perkins got. I think the league is hoping for the series to go to 7 and then a Boston-LA finals

3. Sajan

Sajan Member

i thought the same thing. all they are doing is making both series 7 games then ultimately letting lakers/boston go to the finals.

4. magnomonkey

magnomonkey Member

Someone tell this dude to shut the hell up seriously, he's just trying to be in the spotlight now. He makes new accusations every other week.

5. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Love him or hate him dude is right on most of his claims.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He may be a scumbag, but I have yet to see him be wrong

That was one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen last night, simply pathetic

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bingo! Sad but true.

8. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

agreed.

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

i know the Celtics led the league in Technicals, IIRC, before Rasheed Wallace came but I'm blaming most of this on having Wallace on the team. The refs didn't like him when he was in Portland, when he was in Detroit, and now he has that stigma of blowing his lid and refs like Joey Crawford are waiting to pounce.

10. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

he is? based on what? almost every claim donaghy has ever made has involved picking out some controversial game from the past and then saying the officials were clearly trying to screw whichever team was thought to have gotten the short end of the calls. it's not hard to find games in any sport with controversial calls. why didn't the refs favor the magic in a close game 2 after they lost game 1? why was the master plan for extending the series to let the magic get within an OT of getting swept? seems kind of ridiculous. if the magic win, the league is trying to extend the series. if the celtics win, the league wants the ratings matchup of BOS/LAL and is helping the team with the lesser record to get it. you win no matter what if you just always craft the conspiracy to the results.

and the howard suspension comment was pretty funny. kobe was flailing his arms out to the side trying to look like he was fouled and was hitting people with elbows. howard drove in and about 4 people were around and when his arm inevitably came down from shooting, big baby's face unfortunately happened to be there. donaghy is just desperately looking for attention.

11. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

Even if Donaghy is only trying to get attention, he'll keep getting it until the NBA convinces people that the officiating is consistent and unbiased because game-fixing is how casual fans perceive the game right now. Donaghy might be making up everything but what he says seems plausible to a lot of people.

12. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I think he has money on the Celtics...

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You are pretty set in your ways if you didn't at least consider the possibility of rigging after the reffing calamity yesterday.

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Before being arrested, he was picking games at an 80% rate, the guy knows what he is talking about.

15. bongo33

bongo33 Member

In other news... Perkins technical was rescinded! :grin:

16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

He's off on the Kobe analogy. I followed film on that very closely. They were different motions and the exaggerated extent of each flail was very different. I'm not saying Dwight is squeaky clean here, but I am saying Donaghy is either full of crap, or way oversimplifying things to make a point...and he's wrong here.

17. CONAN 888

CONAN 888 Rookie

could donaghy be the jose conseco of basketball? he was not the lone wolf just like osama bin ladin is the lone wolf of alqueda. if you read in between the line you can clearly see what he saying is true. how much money did the nba and all the citys, arenas, hotels, and restaurants lose or not make by there being so many sweeps in the first two rounds. stern has to recoup the $ somehow. don't let the the jew face fool ya. why else would perkins get a technical 2nd technical while he was clearly walking away from the ref and barely arguing the call. just as the suns have benifited from bynum getting in quick foul trouble in games 3 & 4, dh wasn't able to get off until the centers on the celtics were in foul trouble or not on the floor. fact or fiction???

18. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

The fact that Joey Crawford is still employed in the NBA is enough to question the integrity of the league and officiating. The guy is a lunatic and very obviously can't call an unbiased game when it matters. It's so blatantly obvious, yet the league keeps running him out there every year. It's pathetic.

If they ever blatantly screw the Rockets out of a finals appearance or championship in favor of one of the big market teams, I'm going to think hard about how much longer I can follow the NBA. We've had our fair share of bad officiating in the past, but it's never been at the level of the conference finals or finals. I just don't think I could handle it...something like what happened to Boston last night. Lucky for them that they are the team that would bring in bigger Finals ratings.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

To this point, I'd say the refs can't conspire to have the ball go into the basket. They may be able to tilt games a bit, but they can't guarantee victories. Also, I see a bit of a curve to the pressure on a ref to help out, without much pressure in the first few games.

20. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

This guy needs to stfu, basketball is a hard sport to officiate. If perkin didn't get call for the fouls the magic players would complain and this douche bag would say the refs are favoring the celtics so there would be a another Lakers-Celtic finals. What bugs me more is hearing people agree with him.