1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Don Nelson ties all-time win record as a coach

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by keez857, Apr 5, 2010.

1. keez857

keez857 Member

He won number 1,332 last night and he'll be going for the sole possession of the record tomorrow night against the Wizards. Gotta say, I'm happy for the guy. He always seems to consistently find undrafted/d-league gems and finds a way to turn them into heavy rotation players. Sure, the Warriors are pretty damn terrible this year. But you can't forget how they owned a 67-win Mavs team a few years back.

And if not for that, you gotta love him for this.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hz3F3tEvXEA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hz3F3tEvXEA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Not a fan. He has wins due to longevity more than anything. I think he is a shell of his former self. He tends to create problems within his team and with management too. I was glad to see them beat Dallas, but that's just because I hate Dallas. I think his Buck teams were by far his best coaching, I enjoyed watching that team. He did ok in Dallas, I just don't think his style wins championships. He's not even in the top ten coaches IMO all time wins or not.

3. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

never liked his playing style, but good for him.

4. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

So hopefully, he can win one more game, retire, and then hire anyone someone sane to be their coach? Damn shame an excellent fanbase like GS is stuck with **** management like that.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Nellie is an interesting figure. I understand why some people don't like him. He does have a tendency to create conflicts. And some people don't like his playing style. But I guess I always have a soft spot for guys who like to defy conventional wisdom, guys that dare to think outside the box. And Nellie is such a guy.

I disagree that his record is ONLY a result of his longevity. It's like saying Kareem was a great scorer only because he played for a long time. Longevity itself is a kind of achievement. There is a reason why Nellie could still find a coaching job after so many years.

6. Nook

Nook Member

I bet Nellie celebrated his accomplishment with a few bottles of whiskey.

His nose is BEET red when he is drunk.

7. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

He has longevity, because teams keep hiring him, and teams do that because he is good, so I dont think you cant say he only won because he stayed a lot of years.

8. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

He really loves small balls.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don Nelson IS the man!!!