1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Don Banks/CNNSI Preseason Power rankings! Proof we get no RESPECT!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by robroy77, Jul 27, 2010.

1. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

I just pasted the CNNSI Preseason Power Rankings for 11-18, down below this post, since that would be our realistic range. Man do our Texans get no respect as a Franchise. Philly with unproven Kolb are 11th, Arizona with Leinart who hasn't done anything in the NFL are 13th, Pittsburgh without Rothlisberger for 4 games are 14th, San Fran with a QB who had a decent half a season are 15th, and Miami who we beat last year are 17th. Total disrespect for out team. I can even accept Tenn ahead of us, since they split with us and everybody's on C Johnson's jock. All of these issues on the teams in front of us, but we are still the "TEXANS" and we haven't done anything in any sportswriters eyes. I like how Don Banks comments that a 9-7 team is close to being a 7-9 team, but didn't mention how close we were to being a 11-5 team. This is will be the year we make all of these idiot sportswriters look completly wrong. Then next year they will all be singing our praises, acting like they knew all along. 10-6 baby, and our first playoff game is on the way! Book It!!

NFL Pre-Training Camp Power Rankings (cont.)
    11 Philadelphia Eagles

Philadelphia Eagles (11-5)
    Some of the same folks who for years said Andy Reid had to cut ties with Donovan McNabb are now saying the Eagles are headed for trouble with Kevin Kolb at quarterback. I don't see the sky falling in Philly just yet. Give the kid a chance to show us what he's learned the past three years. Aaron Rodgers, Matt Cassel, Tony Romo and Matt Moore performed pretty well after doing the watching and waiting thing.

12 Tennessee Titans

Tennessee Titans (8-8)
    I'm higher on the Titans than a lot of NFL power-ranking types, namely because I think their offense has a chance to be pretty potent if Vince Young can continue to develop his rapport with some of the team's young pass catchers. This isn't the defense Jeff Fisher has been known for throughout his career, but the best coaches find different ways to win in different years.

13 Arizona Cardinals

Arizona Cardinals (10-6)
    I never seem to give the Cardinals their due, and putting the only NFC team to win a playoff game in each of the past two years at No. 13 is probably more of the same. But we all know this has a chance to be a different year in Arizona, with Kurt Warner retired and giving way to Matt Leinart at quarterback. But I'm not expecting Leinart to flounder this season, and even though I'll likely pick San Francisco to win the NFC West, Ken Whisenhunt's Cardinals have surprised us before.

14 Pittsburgh Steelers

Pittsburgh Steelers (9-7)
    It's pretty obvious the Steelers start their year with some glaring question marks, and none will be more consequential than how they fare in the regular season's first four games without the suspended Ben Roethlisberger. Pittsburgh had an identity problem last year, and Mike Tomlin is promising a return to Steelers football, meaning a physical running game and bruising defense. Sounds easier said than done, especially if Troy Polamalu can't stay healthier than he was in 2009.

15 San Francisco 49ers

San Francisco 49ers (8-8)
    I'm not alone in expecting much more from the 49ers this season than last year's maddeningly inconsistent break-even record. San Francisco wasted a lot of good defense in 2009 and it can't happen again. But I think Alex Smith and the rest of the 49ers still-young offensive playmakers are ready to deliver if head coach Mike Singletary and offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye stay aggressive and don't pull the reins on the passing game.

16 Cincinnati Bengals

Cincinnati Bengals (10-6)
    The schedule gets a lot tougher the year after you were a surprise division winner, and there won't be any sneaking up on anyone this time around for Marvin Lewis's Bengals. Cincy seems ripe to take a small step back into 7-9, 8-8 territory, but so much depends on whether Carson Palmer and Co. can make anyone fear the Bengals passing game again?

17 Miami Dolphins

Miami Dolphins (7-9)
    I see where my colleague and fellow power-ranker, Peter King, had the Dolphins all the way up to sixth in his mid-May top-to-bottom assessment of the league, ahead of both the Jets and Patriots. That's too rich for me, but the Fish did have a quality offseason and should be better on both sides of the ball thanks to the addition of Karlos Dansby on defense and Brandon Marshall on offense. But we should know lots about the Dolphins early on, thanks to a schedule that includes at Minnesota and home against the Jets and Patriots in Weeks 2-4.

18 Houston Texans

Houston Texans (9-7)
    It would be a mistake to see the Texans as having arrived based on them winning their final four games last year to finally finish north of .500 for the first time in franchise history. There's a pretty slim difference between 9-7 and 7-9 in the NFL, and we still need to see Houston win a few big games when the pressure is on to believe that Gary Kubiak's team is moving into top-half-of-the-league territory to stay.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/07/27/precamp.2/index.html#ixzz0uud2vCmc

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

We Texans fans need to prepare ourselves for these predictions. I think we'll be much better than this....but our schedule looks tough. So you're going to see predictions like this. Honestly, trading in 4 games vs. the NFC West for 4 games vs. the NFC East doesn't sound fun. Until we beat the Cowboys, of course! :)

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm perfectly fine with this. I'd prefer the team didn't read a bunch of national press saying how good they were. I want absolutely no feeling of contentment with this team. They need to continue to believe that no one thinks they're really any good and that they're going to have to prove all of these "experts" wrong week in and week out.

4. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

Honestly, I'd be more concerned if we were getting a ton of POSITIVE publicity. I'm so used to being kicked by the national media that I'd be worried if we weren't.

5. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

This argument is so tired

The Texans will begin to get respect once they make it to the playoffs.

Until then, they will not get respect. They will have to prove they can make it happen as a franchise.

6. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

My main argument is how the Franchise as a whole since 2002 is viewed over the current team that went 9-7 last year!

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The Texans should be a little higher I agree, I actually think they should be right next to the Titans. As much as I hate to say it, I think they are both 9-7 type teams, but the Texans have more potential to go all the way.

8. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Rather be the underdog/overachiever then a darling, get back to me after week 4.

9. DontTradeOswalt

We were a Ravens loss away from the playoffs and we lost games because of missed fieldgoals, any team that was 9-7 could easily be 7-9, its the NFL. I think were a top 10 team but until we make the playoffs we won't get any respect

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

11. msn

msn Member

Agreed -- and I normally, just for the fun of it mind you, try to avoid agreeing with Cowboys fans. ;)

But the whole concept of "Respect!!!!1" is overrated and silly. Who cares what mediots have to say?

I'm ready for the Texans to win 11 games. And when they finally do (and in no wise am I predict that for this season), there will still be poo-pooers in the mediot world. meh.

Just win, baby. That's all that counts.

12. Major

Major Member

Exactly. First off, who cares if they respect the Texans? Second, why do people expect respect based on offseason moves as opposed to performance on the field? Win some games. Make the playoffs. Everything else will take care of itself.

1 person likes this.
  13. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

You have to earn respect. The Texans have done nothing in their existence to earn respect. They lost FIVE games last year on the final play of the game. You want respect. Then you don't blow those chances.

14. DontTradeOswalt

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  15. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Rosen-Copter game. Best meltdown game since the Oilers chocked in Buffalo. Ahhhhhhhh. Or was it the comeback the Colts put on the Texans last year?

16. DontTradeOswalt

Nope, Houston Oilers are now the Tennessee Titans, get it right....that Cowboys choke was great since it was a 19-yard field goal plus it was "Americas Team" but nothing can compare to not winning in the playoffs for 14 years

17. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Yes, there is. No pro Houston football team has won a playoff game since 1986. And a pro football Houston team hasn't been to the playoffs since 1993. Ahhhhhh.

18. msn

msn Member

really, now. we all *know* Dallas sucks, but Houston simply has no scoreboard right now to be gloating over. :(

19. DontTradeOswalt

Well its going to be real nice making it this year

20. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

bwahahahahahaa. Cheer for a REAL Houston football team. Get your butt out to watch the nation's #1 offense and a Heisman Trophy candidate in Case Keenum.