1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Don’t forget, Rafael Stone put this team together.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thekad, Nov 22, 2021.

1. fattz

fattz Member

Stone needs Silas to make a system that works with the younger players we have. If Silas is unable then Silas needs to go and that is a Stone move. I think the talent is here but being governed back by Silas and his offense. I know from watching the games the 2nd unit beats the first unit in practice all the time. I also know the 3rd unit is as good as the first. Think what a basketball mind could do with all that talent. MDA turned Lee into an All Star because he was the best of the worst on NYK so he charged his coaching to fit the team.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I must have missed the part where Stone was supposed to make trades and sign free agents this past offseason to make this team a playoff contender. He's made questionable moves but let's not kid ourselves here and believe that Jarrett Allen was going to be some All-World talent we could/should have kept.

xaos likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

A significant amount of folks did like Jarrett Allen and thought he was worth keeping to see how he looked here. When given opportunities he did produce very well when he was with the Nets

4. steddinotayto

I was one of those people because I do like Allen, however, creating a thread to criticize Stone's transactions because he didn't keep Allen is a huge reach. I honestly thought I would have walked into another "Stone put this team together and he'll rue the day he didn't draft Mobley!" thread.

xaos likes this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

it shouldn't be the only thing noted but not seeing what the rockets had in allen was a pretty bad decision

D-rock likes this.
  6. steddinotayto

I don't think Stone (or, more specifically, Tilman) was prepared to give Allen an extension that paid him $20 million a year when we were clearly entering a rebuilding phase. Sure having a young defensive presence is always a plus but you don't necessarily have to pay a high price for one.

juanming and jch1911 like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

Oh I have no doubt LTS Tilman has no intention on spending money on good players. And $20 mil per actually isn't bad at all, especially when he is still such a young player. His salary is in the mid range for starting centers in the league, which is pretty good value. The funny thing is not spending $20 mil per and instead using that money on sorry players like Theis/Nwaba

8. steddinotayto

Yea Stone can take a rock bottom for Theis

[​IMG]

jch1911 and YOLO like this.
  9. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Don't forget, OP still has the ability to start other threads

Corrosion likes this.
  10. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

It's amazing how quickly we forget what our last GM was like, and what power they have in general.

He would have traded Theis in 2 seconds if his coach was playing him minutes he didn't deserve. He traded a fan favorite in Battier for crying out loud, and he wasn't nearly as bad.

A competent GM wouldn't let his coach coach his team to the worst record of all time. I guess the fans that remember what a competent organization looked like jump ship when Tilman took over.

D-rock likes this.
  11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If you're going to lose might as well be the best at losing. Silver linings right? This is all by design. Fans need to have a sweet and a smile and tune out if this is too messy for them.

#stoneyoumaginificentbastard

Corrosion likes this.
  12. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Remember we were all happy with the off-season moves (NBA in general praised it, and CF also praised it).
    So Stone is still not to blame, because he put the pieces that all though it would be the best.

The main problem is in execution, coaching.
    The team is too young to have no veterans on court or sidelines.

We will never know if the Front office is not forcing for Wall to accept a buyout, or if they are actually working in the biggest multi-teams trade history.
    Demote Silas to assistant again. Bring a veteran head coach. And FFS, MOVE WALL, WOOD, HOUSE, EGO

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

no not everyone was happy with the off season moves. Signing Theis was dumb from day 1. Signing nwaba was dumb. not moving a few players who have no business being here was also dumb

juanming likes this.
  14. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

I think that Tillman is trying to put the worst product on the floor to ruin all Rocket NBA games, which will actually dog down the whole level of NBA play. The league would have to rig it to give us the number one pick.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I agree trading Wood makes some sense.

What I don't agree with is your timeline - this year or nothing.

Its between now and next years trade deadline.

The other thing is , what kinda compensation are we looking for ? Just more draft picks ? I'm not really content with that .... we have too many rookies as it is and 6 picks in the next 3 drafts. Too many to be honest.
    Its getting to the point where some of those need to be consolidated .... and Wood can be the piece that facilitates that.

There's no rush to move Wood , there's no rush to acquire 2 more draft picks. No rush to trade away your most valuable contract.

Patience grasshopper ....

D-rock likes this.
  16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Allen = who cares - we're in a 3 year rebuild anyway.

Theis = why bother - we're in a 3 year rebuild anyway.

I honestly think they brain geniused themselves into Theis. " Hey instead of having small ball, like we used to, let's play 2 complementary bigs!"

No.

17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

depends . At some point I feel like you are going to want to start sengun . Can they play together ? I’m not sure , my guess is wood will not be happy if his usage is reduced .

if we star sengun and bench wood does that lower his value ? What if he becomes a malcontent?

Joe Rocket likes this.
  18. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Its not about patience in this case. Hanging on to Wood too long would be a mistake. Its too sentimental for me. People get used to the guys on their team and dont want to let them go when its time. We've seen what he looks like and its not in any way what we need, time to move on. We also do not have too many rookies. We are rebuilding. We have too many vets thats our biggest issue at the moment. Keeping vets is staying still. People like Augustine who are a helpful vet presence can stay. I dont see how keeping Wood for another year just so he can take developing minutes from our future helps at all. Its funny also that you think all of a sudden a GM that gave Harden away for nothing now cares what he gets in return when we really need him to just let go of dead weight.

19. steddinotayto

They should have split the difference and brought back Kelly O. At least he was great to root for last year.

D-rock, Corrosion and Joe Rocket like this.
  20. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

He is already partly there. He's showing all the signs of becoming a malcontent already the only reason he's ok at the moment is because KPJ is injured. KPJ is also another problem we need to address but this coach will not have the balls to do it. This coach is a huge problem. If we stay in this same situation we will just be treading water and we'll be bad for a long itme no matter who we draft and those draft picks will leave as soon as they can. Good teams and Organizations recognize problems early and move quickly they dont stay stuck in the mud trying to figure the next move.