1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dominick Hasek isn't getting paid

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Castor27, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I was never a big fan of Dominick Hasek but I really respect him for this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1758174

DETROIT -- Red Wings goaltender Dominik Hasek has refused to accept about $3 million of his salary because he is out with a groin injury.

Hasek, who announced Feb. 10 that he would miss the remainder of the season with the injury, has not accepted pay since Jan. 9, general manager Ken Holland said Friday.

That was the day Hasek and the team agreed the goaltender should rest the injured groin for two to four weeks.

Hasek tested out the groin in early February, but later said he could no longer play this season. The nagging groin injury has limited him to 14 games since he came out of a one-year retirement.

"He just felt that he wasn't doing what he really had set out to do, which is to play hockey and play at a high level," Holland said. "At that time, he told me that he did not want to receive any further salary until he was ready to play."

By Jan. 9, Hasek had received a little more than $3 million of his $6 million salary for the season.

"I think it's an unbelievable gesture," Holland said.

One of the NHL's greatest goalies, Hasek won two MVP awards and six Vezina Trophies, given to the league's top goalie, during a nine-year stint in Buffalo. He also led the Czech Republic to a gold medal in the 1998 Nagano Olympics.

Hasek joined the Red Wings before the 2001-02 season, winning his first Stanley Cup that season. He retired in 2002, but came back to Detroit before this season.

2. codell

codell Member

Does the NHL have a Players Association???

MLB, NFL and the NBA PA would never let one of their players do that.

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Member

With the NHL strike coming, none of the players will be getting paid. Hasek is ahead of his time.;)

And probably the best goaltender ever to play in the NHL.

4. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

didn't Shawn Kemp do somethign similar a few years ago when he was cut. I'm sure his motivation was so he wouldn't have to pay child support, but I seem to remember him refusing to be paid for some reason.

CK

5. Vengeance

Vengeance Member

Hasek has been my favorite player since I started getting into hockey about five years ago. He's always had sort of an up and down relationship with the teams he's played on, pulling some antics that would get ordinary players in a lot of trouble. But this is a nice gesture -- I think he's a pretty honest guy, despite his fickle attitude.

6. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

wow.. that's respectable..

I wish I could say I would do the same thing, but I think I would take the 3 million..

7. fadeaway

fadeaway Member

Even more respectable would have been for him to take the 3 million and donate it all to charity instead of letting the greedy owners keep it.

8. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

fadeaway... that would be an option.. I don't follow nhl.. does detroit have someone who is thought of as a good owner or not?

technically I guess he is entitled to keep the money.. if I was injured while playing I wouldnt' have too much of a problem collecting the paycheck

don't the teams have insurance policies that cover if a player gets hurt anyways?

9. PieEatinFattie

Yeah they do. I heard that the NHLPA is not real happy that he is doing this. Some of the Detroit sport talk shows are thinking that he might be doing this because he won't be coming back at all.

10. rudager

rudager Member

Man, I used to dominate the hell out of my roommate with the Sabres on NHL2K...God bless that man, as well as Barnes and Satan...

11. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Member

:eek: I love taking quotes out of context ;)

12. Fegwu

Fegwu Member

That would be a better gesture.

At first I received this news with missed feelings. But nonetheless Hasek deserves fair remarks for his show of character.

13. Fegwu

Fegwu Member

That absolutely does not make much sense. Methinks if you are not coming back - you grab as much as possible.

14. fadeaway

fadeaway Member

No idea. I don't watch hockey either. NHL owners as a whole, though, are generally considered to be greedy SOBs; more so than in the other major sports.

15. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

When I first read the title I thought this was about NHL teams going so broke that they couldn't pay their players.

16. 3814

3814 Member

very classy move by one of the greatest goalies of all time.

17. Kam

Kam Member

Detroit has a good owner. He also owns the Tigers though...

He owns lil caesars pizza.