1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dome memories

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by FrontRowJoe, Jul 12, 2005.

1. FrontRowJoe

FrontRowJoe Member

I recently went through my stash of old Astros/Oilers/Aeros/Rockets stuff, and found myself remembering the days of old when the screen would light up with shooting cowboys and raging bulls everytime someone hit a HR. I love MMP, but please tell me I'm not the only one who misses the Astrodome. Remember hearing the Astros song echo from the PA:

Here come the Astros, burnin' with desire,
    Here come the Astros, breathin' orange fire,
    Here come the Astros, with winnin' on their mind,
    Here come the Astros, number one every time.

Go...Go...Astros!
    Go...Go...Astros!

Anybody still have that song? Anybody still love or hate the Dome?

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

taking a whiz just isn't the same without two guys standing shoulder to shoulder with you at the trough...

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

a few weeks back they were celebrating the 1980 season...they played that old Astros song that night! great stuff!

4. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Wasn't there, like, a dixieland band that strolled the aisles for a time? I think they were called the "Astro Nuts" or something.

The "Home Run Spectacular" was great (ANOTHER reason to despise that scumbag, Bud Adams) as were the video cartoon of the pitcher being sent to the showers when opponents pulled their starter and Chester Charge.

5. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I miss the Astrodome, too. When I was growing up, annual visits to Houston and the Dome were my only escape from the hell of East Texas small-town existence. Back then, the Astrodome was pretty much the most exciting building in the world to a kid like me.

I realize that the place was kind of a rickety turd whose field probably shortened God knows how many careers in more than one sport, but I miss the joint. Minute Maid is nice, but I miss the fireworks board, and Dome Dogs. I even miss the rainbow seats.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

wait a second..let me say this. the dome is great...i have great memories there.

but i FAR prefer MMP. far and away. the ballpark my little boys will grow up with far and away outperforms the Astrodome in terms of a baseball gameday experience.

7. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Can you imagine Oswalt, Clemens, and Lidge pitching in the Dome? Wow. Oswalt era would be 1.90 I miss the Dome alot but I think baseball in MMP is more exciting since its easier to comeback with the long ball. The Dome's last play was Caminiti flying out to Andruw Jones against John Rocker. So sad.

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I miss the style of play and the real Astro uniforms.

9. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Me too. It's hard for me to really get into the Stros after 88 or so. MM is too full of people who live at Academy Sports and Outdoors. Zzzzzzz.

The dome in the '70s-early '80s was the best. Bat night, 50ยข outfield tickets, the old scoreboard, Chester Charge, Dome Foam.

10. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Jose Cruz in the rainbow uni is embedded in my childhood memories.

11. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

I remember the dome field box seats being $12. My grampa used to gather up all my cousins and I and Take us for $144. It was great. I also remember there was some concession guy selling beer. He would always say "Coldest foam in the dome". I loved the dome.

On that note - I would not trade the dome for MMP. I love that park, really fan friendly.

12. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I miss those cushioned seats from the Dome.

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I liked the Dome, and I couldn't believe they were building a new ball field to take it's place. But man, I love MMP. I would much rather be in MMP than the DOME.

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Dome foam and Dome dogs...The best...

I saw many a baseball and football game there...I have memories too,but Reliant & MMP are so much better in terms of luxury...Hell, they even beat the crappy Texas Stadium and the Ballpark up in Big D...

15. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

The dome was great, I have such great memories there. Nothing will ever replace that place for me. That being said... MMP is the bomb!

16. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

I remember back in 79, my Little League coaches took the team to a game, the thing I remember the most was being at the trough, and this old man goes to my teammate, "I remember when I could piss like that".

I took my daughter to a game against the Indians back in 99, that was one of my best memories of the dome.

17. PhiSlammaJamma

I've only seen it from the outside once, so my one and only memory was.

"Day'um, Relaint stadium makes the Astrodome look like a minature toy."

18. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I remember in the early 90's they had this man called Batty Bob who use to be in the outfield seats. He wore an orange wig and a Stros uni. He was real weird.

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

Anyone remember Astro Buddies? Kids could get upper level tickets to a dozen or so games for about $20. My mom used to drive me to the Dome from Sugar Land, then go back home, *then* turn around and come pick me up when the game was over. :eek:

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sure, the Dome provided great memories. Hell... if they were still playing in Colt Stadium all those years (despite the mosquitos and HEAT), there would still be people out there who found that experience memorable and were nostalgic.

But... the experience at MMP: with a crowd that seems alive, even if there's only 25,000, with the ample views of Downtown (not to mention the increase in options of places to go before/after the game down there), with the luxuries of the club level, with the ability to access the main concourse and watch the game from the left field wall/porch (you had to have a ticket to go down to the field-box concourse of the Dome in the later years), with the ability to go from air-conditioned comfort to outdoor (traditional) baseball with a simple push of a button... I truly love the MMP experience, and IMO, the Dome could only come close to matching it if it was an absolute sell-out playoff game (and there weren't many of those).