1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[D'oh] 1999 loss to Spurs may have paved the way for dynasty

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, May 31, 2014.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?stor...top&rand=ref~{"ref":"http://t.co/vEi5t9Liqi"}

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Yeah, I saw that article. The 1994-95 Spurs team that won 62 games and fell to the Rockets in the WCF also turned their season around in a game in Houston. I think they were something like 7-9 when they came in here and won handily. They went 55-11 the rest of the way.

San Antonio used to do that a lot in the 90's. Because of constant offseason personnel changes and a carousel of head coaches, they never got off to good starts. Now with Pop firmly entrenched as the coach and the same core together for years, they pretty much dominate from opening night(at least in the regular season).

1 person likes this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i saw 1999, therefore i know this thread would be interesting

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Apparently, not interesting enough :eek:

5. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I thought this would be the game where elie hit the game winning three against us....

6. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Is this the game on NBC where we dominated early and then fell apart at the end? If so, I thought the same exact thing. I remember Barkley hitting a three early in the game as Rudy T was throwing his hands up and begging him not to shoot.

I remember writing Clutch an e-mail about that game during the "Save our Rockets" campaign. I ended up throwing a glass against my bedroom wall when Elie hit that shot.

7. underrated015

underrated015 Member

I remember that game on NBC at the alamodome. The shot clock went off and the refs had to yell the seconds out. Elie hit that dagger and he did the kiss of death on us.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Guys..they blew us out..see last sentence in the OP

9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

That truly was the end of the Clutchcity days as we knew it right there. Les Alexander really does not know how to build a championship, he sure can sell tickets though. It is really interesting watching Duncan at the dawn of his career still utilized the way he is and being that effective. One could only imagine what if we had just went the Spurs way of things instead of constantly trying to chase another star. I hate the Spurs but that organization definitely knows what it is doing. Hakeem, Elie, Horry, Cassel, Smith... all of them deserved to retire as Rockets.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yup Les got credit for Clutch City based on Steve Patterson's work.
    What did Les do? Change our uniforms after we won two championships.

I don't believe any team has ever changed their uniforms after winning an NBA title except for Les and his TJ Max uniforms.