1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dog Training...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by no_answer, Sep 11, 2009.

1. no_answer

no_answer Member

Have any of you got your dogs trained? Where? Did it work?
    I saw the SPCA has some training classes I might take her to. I just want my dog to chill out around my 3 yr old.

2. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Just watch dog whisperer then you're set!

the key to a balanced dog is exercise and discipline! :D

3. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

4. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

If a woman named Abby is still training at the PetSmart on Shepherd and Avalon, she was great.

5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Man's Best Friend is awesome. We've had nothing but a great experience with our dogs since they went there.

6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

how much do they cost? couldn't find pricing on the website.

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Make sure you participate in the training (sounds like you are). Next, make sure the dog gets plenty of exercise. At 3 the dog is basically at it's peak physically so it probably needs quite a bit of running/playing each day but even going outside and tossing a tennis ball 10-15 times can go a long way in getting some of that extra energy out.

Dog training isn't rocket science. The most important thing is to make sure the dog knows what you are asking of it. You do that through repetition and consistency. Don't let more than one person train the dog as everyone tends to do things differently and it will just confuse the dog. I still have to remind people that if you tell my dog "down" he will lay down so if you want him to move or get off of something you say "off." See what I mean?

Be consistent. If the dog is not allowed on the couch on Monday when you are cranky then make sure the dog is not allowed on the couch every other day of the week.

I've trained a couple of dogs. Nothing too fancy just basic obedience and some trust-building work (I guess you could call it novice agility work). I have also worked with my bulldog on a foundation for personal protection training but his temperament was not right so he is now strictly a pet but I do plan on picking up another dog in the next two years and seeing about putting some advanced obedience and probably some real-world personal protection work into it.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If you have to ask, you can't afford it. ;)

Actually, I have no idea.

9. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Contributing Member

If your asking for the price, you prabably can't afford.

but if you must know it's around 700$ - 1000$

10. VanityHalfBlack

This dog has all the necessary skills...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8WlnOtA8jiI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8WlnOtA8jiI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

11. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i guess i can't afford to buy anything......ever.
    :p

12. x3ldonx

x3ldonx Member

You know the saying, not seriously. I started a thread a while back and of course I had to call myself, and when they said around 700 dollars. I hung up didnt say crap.

Screw that I will take him to the Tia Pancha down airline and have Jose or Maria teach him for 10 dollars and a sandwhich. :p

13. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

My parents/family trained 3 golden retrievers and a mutt all by themselves. Screw paying other people ridiculous amounts of money, especially since you still have to participate in the training to make it truly effective anyway.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Hey, no_answer... wanna give us a run-down on the age, breed, history, etc. of this dog? ;)
    Uhhh... the dog is NOT 3. :eek:

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Oops. My bad.

16. no_answer

no_answer Member

I was just telling my husband this morning that I think I could just read a book and figure out how to do it myself.

Breed: rat terrier/blue heeler
    History? Her mom and dad met and then....

17. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

You can buy dvds from Cesar Milan's site...he has some good techniques.

18. LANIMIRC

LANIMIRC Member

Really, my dog is the first and only dog I ever had. 99% of his problems went away after I started taking him for hour long walks in the morning.