1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dog question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by finalsbound, May 22, 2013.

Tags:
  1. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

harrisment i originally had a kennel booked but it turns out ellie is missing the 2nd part of a flu vaccination, and since its been 3-4 months since the first part, i'll have to re-do both shots 4 weeks apart. so can't take her there this time.

unfortunately it seems like everyone i know will be oot this weekend. i just met the lady i hired though and she seems great. she's even going to take her to the park for no extra cost,and she's very inexpensive to begin with...and she texts frequently. i'm feeling a little better about it now.

thanks for the tips, and thanks for the gesture LF.

2. thegreekdbag

thegreekdbag Member

I hope you don't get any surprises upon your return. Nothing like coming home to that beautiful smell of vengeful diarrhea. Maybe that is mostly just Jack Russells, though.

3. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

The dog will be fine. Stop worry about it. Good to see that you are a dog lover.

4. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

nah she's a good girl. haven't had an accident or anything chewed since probably 2011. my little trooper will hold it longer than seems possible. definitely not worried about my place, just her feelings i guess lol. but y'all have eased my mind a lot.

5. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

She'll be fine. Definitely have some noise going as others have stated. Just be ready for a very excited dog when you do make it back.

6. likestohypeguy

Nah cruel is picking up a couple of dogs on a whim, & disposing of them as soon as you realize they're more trouble than you're willing to put up with at the moment.

it sounds like your heart's in the right place on this one. Most wouldn't even give it a second thought. Do what's convenient for YOU for once.

:(

7. likestohypeguy

Anyone old enough to remember when dog poop used to turn white?

Something either changed in yard fertilizers, dog food, dogs themselves, or our eyes, or my memory.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

There isn't anyone here that's a bigger lover of dogs than I am, Finals, but I also have always loved to travel. If you don't have a friend or relative to leave your beastie with, then find an excellent kennel and board her. A good kennel will walk them, and even play with them for a bit extra per day. You won't have to worry about a thing. It's surprising how quickly the dog will adapt to the strange environment. I always brought the food from home so that they'd be able to eat what they're used to. After being boarded a time or two, she'll quit worrying about the experience, knowing that you will be back to pick her up. There are other dogs there to listen to and smell, and friendly people to make a fuss over them from time to time. You're going to want to spend more time than a weekend away from your best friend in the future, so you may as well bite the bullet and find a good place to board her, IMO. Good luck!

ARF!!

(time for me to get another dog!)

9. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I would never personally do it, but I certainly understand your position. My girlfriend's dog would just about get physically ill and stop eating and get depressed if my girlfriend left her for 3 days. But she's a spoiled little brat.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I feel really weird for not noticing this before. You are right. It all used to turn white after a few days and none of it does now. I wonder what happened.

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Ummm, my Boxers poop still turns white in the yard after a day there. Not sure why the others don't.

12. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Sounds like it's going to be more traumatic for you than for the dog. Maybe you should hire a dog to walk with you while you're away.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yep. Y'all made me google it. No longer turning white never occurred to me until seeing it mentioned in this thread.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=600525

14. arjun

arjun Member

you are a terrible human being

just kidding, as long as the dog is cared for..it will be ok.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The dog should be fine. The important thing is for you not to stress. The dog will pick that up and add to the stress as it goes into the weekend. Do your best to act normal and happy. Then the dog will have a better chance of not being too concerned.

It may even be less stressful than a kennel because the dog is in it's usual environment where it's comfortable.