1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DOG OWNERS: COME FORTH. I'm in the process of buying or adopting a dog and can use some advice.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jacoby, Jun 21, 2015.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Yeah, not close. Still a major obligation though.

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

A breed that loves to bark and howl in an apartment? You'll be everyone's favorite neighbor.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yes, that's important, too. Separation anxiety is a big thing for a lot of dogs -- my first is definitely one of those -- and while I'm home a lot, the single biggest thing I've done to reduce his anxiety was get a second dog. (We got him an older female so he wouldn't feel threatened.) It's definitely made a big difference.

As far as routines, I take my dogs out four times a day -- 8:00 a.m., when I come home for lunch, 5:00 p.m. and before bed. Seems to work well.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Well, 3 walks a day, 2-3 minutes of play per hour, not much attention required may work very well for you and your dogs, it may work well for OP as well. But for me and my dogs personally, its quite different, they would be pretty stresses under your circumstances. Again it's situation though, you sound like a great pet owner and I'm glad your dogs have adapted to your schedule.

My dogs have to get walked 5 times a day usually or else it would get really messy quickly in the house. They also used to tear up carpet when left alone or ignored, they bark all day at the neighbors moving around ( I live in apartments, multiple neighbors have complained ). I had 2 for about 8 years, and have had 3 for the last 2 years. I've been a student, mom has been a nurse/teachers over the years so we'v had very flexible schedules to be with the dogs for at least half of the day most of the time for the last 10 years. Yet we still have felt kind of guilty with how much they have been left alone over the years, they hate being locked up at all during the day.

Having a busy lifestyle/Job in a NY apartment sounds like a pretty miserable situation for a single dog from my experience, although I definitely think it's a MUCH better situation then being put down or staying in a shelter if you decide to adopt.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Nick, do you live in Houston? Some years ago I tried to find an apartment complex that would allow 3 dogs but couldn't find a single one. Ended up having to rent a townhouse from some crazy lady. After a year of that, said f*** this s*** I'm buying a house.

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

Don't focus on a particular breed. Like others have said, adopting from shelter >>> buying a dog from a kennel or otherwise, even if it's from a reputable breeder.

Also, make sure whatever dog you get is comfortable around your 2 cats, and vice versa. It would suck if you fall in love with a dog, but the cats hate the dog.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yea Galleria area, and we have been just tell the front offices we have 2. They never really check and it saves us a 4 to 6 dollars in deposits and "pet rent". If they where to ever ask we'd just tell them we had to take for a friend who couldn't keep it anymore. But even though we do that, I think both of the apartment complexes I have lived in over the past 3 years have allowed more then 2 dogs as long as they where under the weight limit.

Also sorry you had a ****ty landlord with a townhouse I know how that can be, but some townhouses can be pretty great, just have to keep an eye out.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Fixed*

Second post in this thread with too many typos, I need to start spell checking more often.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Ah, yeah. I considered just saying I had two but I figured if they ever really started to keep an eye on me then I would be screwed, having to pay a big fine and then being evicted. That's why we went with a privately owned townhouse.

Anyway, was just curious.

10. SunsRocketsfan

Shiba Inu all the way!!
    [​IMG]

and they are small enough for an apartment. 30lbs on avg :)

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What is the difference to Akita Inu, the Asian version?

BTW I am juggling babysitting a friend's younger Springer Spaniel right now in my free time

And I can say those are just not made for a condo or appartment in the

concrete world of a city if you have lots of other things going on around you

[​IMG]

12. jacoby

jacoby Member

I work with dogs actually. I work with a Shiba Inu a few times a week. Beautiful dog.

I'm going up to Connecticut on Sunday to meet a Samoyed who is mating with a few girls. Probably will put a down payment on one of them. In a perfect world I'd adopt from a shelter but if I'm spending tens of thousands over the course of a dogs life I'd like for the dog to be a good fit with me, and I've always loved the Sammy breed.

I wouldn't get the dog if I didn't think he'd do well under my care. He will get his exercise, socialization, and training in every day. I'm confident he will be very happy, even in an apartment (that he won't live in his entire life).

13. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

DO NOT BUY!!!! ADOPT~!!!!! SO MANY GOOD LOYAL DOGS THAT WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER

14. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

This x 1000

Even if you're dead set on a particular breed, you can still adopt. There are rescue groups devoted to just about any breed you can think of.

For example, a quick search turned up Samoyed Rescue of Texas...
    http://www.samoyedtexas.org/

I've always loved Samoyeds too.

[edit] Just realized you're in NY - here's one for that area... http://www.doghows.org/flash/mscr/

#34 ChrisP, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It sounds like a terrible idea but you seem set on it, so good luck to you and your new dog.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I still wouldn't do it myself unless I had a job that allowed me to take it to work. I bet NYC has a lot of dog-friendly places. The tiiming of you decision appears to be the timing of one mother dog who you know. You can still wait.

Note you make a point of the dog has to be a fit for you; you also have to be a fit as wrt your apt. But if anyone can do it, sounds like you can.

couple tips:

• dogs like punctuality. if you always train them and socialize them at the same tiime of day, they will start to change their patterns to match. Being alone is tough, but knowing every day, at the same time of day, they get to train and play helps.
    • don't buy a bunch of chew toys. get only one. if too many chew toys are on the floor, they think everything is a chew toy. Hide your shoes.
    • don't make a big deal when you get home. Go about your business, then only after the puppy calms down do you say hi and take it for a walk. They can get very excited just hearing come up the stairs and puppies are known to pee in excitement while you are opening the door.
    • think about getting a crate. Dogs love caves. I wouldn't lock them in when away myself, but try having them sleep in it at night. Make them eat inside it, too. Get them to learn it's their spot (and not the cats) and s/he might just use it on its own.

Even with that and more tips others might give you, if the puppy cries all day, and you get complaints, you will be in a tough situation.

In the OP, you did ask us to try to talk you out of it.

Good Luck